Nicole's US single becoming a hit

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the point is that yes, people know who Nicole is - and that's what makes it even more damning for her, because they've seen her for how many years now, and they still don't like her! Someone with her good looks - there's no excuse for her not doing really well. She's tried to force a bunch of solo singles on us, but they're not exactly making a big impact on the charts. People are getting so excited that 'Right There' didn't flop outright like her previous attempts, and they're acting like all of a sudden she's finally made it. No - check the charts. She hasn't. And #20 and #30 and #60 on iTunes doesn't mean much.

Difference with Cheryl is that at least she gets a clean slate in the US - nobody really knows he, true. But when people do get exposed to her, comments are almost unanimously positive about how sweet, pretty, she is, how cute her accent is etc. Cheryl's got the likability factor - and the X Factor. Media were very kind to her when she was announced as judge, there was a real buzz. Even now, every time she's mentioned, it gets included in headlines in US news. Has anyone said a word about Nicole in the media since she was announced as judge? I'm telling you, nobody cares about her here!

Nicole no matter how much she tries to force herself down our throats will not join the ranks of the artists currently topping the charts. She isn't talented enough (she is not THAT great a singer, she probably should lip sync if she wants to succeed), and isn't likable enough. And her "oh, shucks, I'm so humbled to be a part of blah blah, I really want to inspire people and change their lives" act is getting old too. Lack of authenticity!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    But she really does want to help potential "stars" That's one of the reason she accepted the job in the first place.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When DHYB was released to iTunes, it got all the way up to Top 30 in less than 12 hours. With no airplay and no promo. That's not flopping. The drop is inevitable as the song hasn't been sent to radio yet.

Check your facts before you open your big mouth.

indeed. she has secured a new entry on the billboard hot 100 at #86. not a bad start considering there is no promotion supporting this release so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    Chris2387 wrote: »
    Her second single DHYB is currently flopping. XF is seriously this chicks last chance of having a solo career. Maybe a performance on the show will do something for her

I very much agree. If she can't get her solo career off the ground on the back on US XF then she never will. I'm not sure if she will, even on the back of UK XF her sales haven't been spectacular to say the least. She just isn't destined to be a solo artist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ablahh wrote: »
    I think the point is that yes, people know who Nicole is - and that's what makes it even more damning for her, because they've seen her for how many years now, and they still don't like her! Someone with her good looks - there's no excuse for her not doing really well. She's tried to force a bunch of solo singles on us, but they're not exactly making a big impact on the charts. People are getting so excited that 'Right There' didn't flop outright like her previous attempts, and they're acting like all of a sudden she's finally made it. No - check the charts. She hasn't. And #20 and #30 and #60 on iTunes doesn't mean much.

Difference with Cheryl is that at least she gets a clean slate in the US - nobody really knows he, true. But when people do get exposed to her, comments are almost unanimously positive about how sweet, pretty, she is, how cute her accent is etc. Cheryl's got the likability factor - and the X Factor. Media were very kind to her when she was announced as judge, there was a real buzz. Even now, every time she's mentioned, it gets included in headlines in US news. Has anyone said a word about Nicole in the media since she was announced as judge? I'm telling you, nobody cares about her here!

Nicole no matter how much she tries to force herself down our throats will not join the ranks of the artists currently topping the charts. She isn't talented enough (she is not THAT great a singer, she probably should lip sync if she wants to succeed), and isn't likable enough. And her "oh, shucks, I'm so humbled to be a part of blah blah, I really want to inspire people and change their lives" act is getting old too. Lack of authenticity!

:o
    Cheryl has got the x factor? she can't sing or dance or judge and all she has got going for her is looks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpWus7NUeyY
    brilliant- no not at all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :o
    Cheryl has got the x factor? she can't sing or dance or judge and all she has got going for her is looks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpWus7NUeyY
    brilliant- no not at all

Well, at least you have accepted and have no comment regarding the fact that Nicole is a hopeless case. As far as Cheryl is concerned, I didn't know you needed to "judge" to have the X factor. Not sure what standards you're using to judge her judging anyway - ratings were through the roof when she joined as a judge and her role on the show remains one of the highlights of the last few series. She's got more going for her than her looks, and her PERFORMANCE abilities are top-notch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoaLJAZGlrc She can work the stage, work the crowd, is exciting to watch and is definitely endearing. This is the magic that Cowell wanted to replicate in the US - unfortunately, he's a bit of a prick and got nervous with Cheryl when she showed signs of being out of her comfort zone.

To summarize: Cheryl's got the X Factor. Nicole's got the desperation factor. If Cheryl had the same amount of success as Nicole given all the exposure the latter has had in the US, you would be booing her out of the UK. Instead, you're sitting here acting like Nicole is one of the premier superstars of our time, despite her failure over the last few years to make it solo, and the fact that Cheryl's name being mentioned again this week regarding her firing is getting more buzz than Nicole has received so far during all these months (period of her hosting + period of her judging).
  • MatejaMateja Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yep, pretty much. "Right There" peaked at #39 on BB HOT 100 and it hasn't even sold 500K (Gold) yet. That's bad for a pop single.
    14 51 108 127 SCHERZINGER*NICOLE FEAT. 50 CE RIGHT THERE 13461 -17 16173 408452

"Don't Hold Your Breath" was released to iTunes last week, it sold 26K. That's okay, we will see what it can do in a few months. It will be sent to radio in a month, right around the X Factor launch.
    1 - - 59 SCHERZINGER*NICOLE DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH 26366 0 26366

Also, Nicole's solo career is really nothing to brag about. Just read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicole_Scherzinger_discography
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mateja wrote: »
    Also, Nicole's solo career is really nothing to brag about. Just read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicole_Scherzinger_discography

i don't see anyone bragging, least of all nicole. she knows she has a lot of work to do. her success in uk, is far from impressive. however, she has done quite well.

i do agree if she cant secure a big hit in the us, with her exposure by the end of the year. she may need to rethink her strategy or indeed call it a day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, at least you have accepted and have no comment regarding the fact that Nicole is a hopeless case. As far as Cheryl is concerned, I didn't know you needed to "judge" to have the X factor. Not sure what standards you're using to judge her judging anyway - ratings were through the roof when she joined as a judge and her role on the show remains one of the highlights of the last few series. She's got more going for her than her looks, and her PERFORMANCE abilities are top-notch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoaLJAZGlrc She can work the stage, work the crowd, is exciting to watch and is definitely endearing. This is the magic that Cowell wanted to replicate in the US - unfortunately, he's a bit of a prick and got nervous with Cheryl when she showed signs of being out of her comfort zone.

To summarize: Cheryl's got the X Factor. Nicole's got the desperation factor. If Cheryl had the same amount of success as Nicole given all the exposure the latter has had in the US, you would be booing her out of the UK. Instead, you're sitting here acting like Nicole is one of the premier superstars of our time, despite her failure over the last few years to make it solo, and the fact that Cheryl's name being mentioned again this week regarding her firing is getting more buzz than Nicole has received so far during all these months (period of her hosting + period of her judging).

Yes lypsncing and pathetic Britney imitation of dancing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes lypsncing and pathetic Britney imitation of dancing

"lypsncing and pathetic Britney imitation of dancing" that has seen her top the charts in the UK and gain fans all around the world. Pathetic, indeed! but enough about the amazing Cheryl Cole...
    this thread is supposed to be all about Nicole's hit career in the US!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "lypsncing and pathetic Britney imitation of dancing" that has seen her top the charts in the UK and gain fans all around the world. Pathetic, indeed! but enough about the amazing Cheryl Cole...

not quite. i set up the thread to track her progress. not to claim she had a hit career over there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She's only had 2 #1s in uk
    Never had a #1 in the 3rd biggest music market in the world,Germany, and her last album sales were nothing special
    Forum Member
    The only thing Tweedy has is a dead career, and Will.i.am. Scherzinger's in all the US magazines and actually had valid number ones..
  • Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's only had 2 #1s in uk
    Never had a #1 in the 3rd biggest music market in the world,Germany, and her last album sales were nothing special

Fight For This Love got to number 4 in Germany and sold over 150,000 copies. If you compare album sales, Cheryl is way ahead of Nicole. That will probably change once X Factor USA kicks off.
    Forum Member
    Scherzinger's always been ahead, she fronted pcd. Compared to how big Germany is a hundred and fifty thousand is peanuts. Who requested a solo tour...........no-one. PCD have toured everywhere but the kitchen sink.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what on earth has cheryl cole got to do with nicole`s solo career in the us? there are a billion threads on ms cole and hardly any on nicole. let`s stay on topic, please.
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    I'm not a particularly big fan of Nicole, but I think she's been doing pretty well for herself recently. Her songs aren't mindblowing and were never going to set the charts alight but they're above average and fun, so #39 isnt a bad position at all and I would say reflects where it should be really. I do think she lead with the wrong single, Club Banger Nation would have been a far better choice, but hopefully (for her) Don't Hold Your Breath will sell a decent amount.

She was never going to be another Rihanna or Gaga, so comparing her to those is useless. She has potential to have a solid but not spectacular career, and Europe seems to have taken to her more than the US anyway, so I would say she's right on target with sales at the moment.
  • marinamaumarinamau Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is funny how some people think that a single peaking at 39 (Nicole) is actually a hit and others think that 31 (Happy, leona) is a flop, both in the same country and the same charts.
    Forum Member
    People are beginning to compare her to Rhianna. It depends how many hits she has but she has the potential to be a pop princess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    granted08 wrote: »
    People are beginning to compare her to Rhianna. It depends how many hits she has but she has the potential to be a pop princess.

You'd expect that eventually after so many singles released that people would like at least one of them! So odds are in Nicole's favor, especially after so many flops and misfires, that finally she should have a tolerable song that could gain her some fans outside of the UK.

Or, we can only hope... :D
    Forum Member
    The globe loved "Don't hold your breath" She performed that everywhere. "Wet" has great promotion as well, so it's not too late for a states number one especially with the show coming up and great "live performances" that millions will tune in to see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will put aside my mild dislike of Nicole for a second.
    She is a talented vocalist/singer, beautiful woman and good performer. She has had a lot of success with the Pussycat Dolls. She has tried a few times to make it solo and even with the fact that she has most doors already opened for her due to her past success with PCD and for being the girlfriend of a famous sportman, she hasn't made it yet. 39 peak is not a flop, nor a hit. Is a mediocre result for her. However it is much better than previous attempts so there is hope that with the help of X Factor, she will indeed have a hit.
    However, I tend to be quite mainstream in terms of what I like, and my problem with Nicole is that on paper she has everything that I would like, then I see/hear her and think she is so fake and really dislike her. thing is, I want to like her, but i can't, I see her as a fabricated robot performer.
    The comparison with rihanna is quite acurate, but what makes Ri different is her tone of voice which is very distinctive and the backing of a major player like JayZ when it mattered.
    Forum Member
    Scherzinger is way better vocalist and dare I say performer than Rhianna way better looking too. Fox did the right thing picking her, yes her career may have it's up's and downs and is Hamilton entirely right for her....... not sure, but the X factor will be the best thing for her and she can exploit all her talents on there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    granted08 wrote: »
    Scherzinger is way better vocalist and dare I say performer than Rhianna way better looking too. Fox did the right thing picking her, yes her career may have it's up's and downs and is Hamilton entirely right for her....... not sure, but the X factor will be the best thing for her and she can exploit all her talents on there.

Completely agreed. But rihana has had massive success as a solo artist and Nicole hasnt. Unfortunatelly success in the pop charts is not about talent but about what you bring to the scene and your USP, and Nicole doesn't have a very unique USP, while Rihanna has, which is her unique tone. (PS, I actually dislike more Rihanna than Nicole, but i can see the appeal and why rihanna is successful!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marinamau wrote: »
    Is funny how some people think that a single peaking at 39 (Nicole) is actually a hit and others think that 31 (Happy, leona) is a flop, both in the same country and the same charts.

Comes from expectations. Sadly, there are very low expectations for Nicole.