Dad's Army

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
Forum Member
While waiting for episodes of Top Gear to come on, I started watching Dad's Army again and now have it permanently Sky Plussed. There have been some great episodes on in recent weeks. My Mam, who watched it the first time around, said that she hadn't seen some of those episodes.

We frequently use "don't panic, don't panic" and refer to my Dad as Captain Manwarring because of his uncanny knack for coming up with ideas that create work for everybody else. I'm sure everybody knows somebody like each of the charachters.

Does anybody have any memorable quotes? Or a list of must see episodes? Or favourite characters?

So far the Cricket Match and Pike being called up have been two of my favourites. And the Vicar and the Verger joining the Home Guard, and the May Pole dancing....

Comments

• RainbowsEndRainbowsEnd Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have regularly watched Dads Army over many many years and never tire of it. Each episode and every character is just pure brilliance!
  • extraextraextraextra Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Quote "They don't like it up 'em! un quote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    extraextra wrote: »
    Quote "They don't like it up 'em! un quote.

You go Jonesy!

Of course the classic has got to be 'Don't tell them Pike' when poor young Pikey was being cross examined to tell them his name!
  • g jonesg jones Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A classic quote I remember.
    Mainwaring tells everybody to talk quietly and Jonsey shouts "Permission to whisper Captain Mainwaring"
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    g jones wrote: »
    A classic quote I remember.
    Mainwaring tells everybody to talk quietly and Jonsey shouts "Permission to whisper Captain Mainwaring"

I knew Clive Dunne in 1961, he and his actress wife Priscilla Morgan lived round the corner in a flat in a block overlooking the Thames at Putney.
    He seemed in real life, as old then as he appeared in Dad's Army
  • TasaTasa Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I love Dad's Army and am enjoying it on BBC2 on Saturday nights! I watched it as a child and can see the similarities (and some of the cast members, e.g. Carmen Silvera) between Dad's Army and 'Allo 'Allo (David Croft was a scriptwriter on both).

For example, I'm sure Captain Mainwaring's phrase "Stupid boy" became Rene Artois' "You stupid woman!"

Another phrase which I still love and hear in real life is Private Fraser's "We're doooomed: dooooomed!"

One of my favourite episodes is the one where they use Jones' van for a training exercise, where they point their guns through holes in the side of the van. Another is the German prisoner stuck up the belfry of the church. I think these are shown quite regularly, but like SandyG4u's Mam, I'm seeing many episodes which I didn't remember from the first time. One day I'll buy the full boxed DVD set!
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You go Jonesy!

Of course the classic has got to be 'Don't tell them Pike' when poor young Pikey was being cross examined to tell them his name!

In that episode, the German captain (Philip Madoc) is on the verge of corpsing when he says he wants his chips "nice and crisp...not soggy".
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SandyG4u wrote: »
    Does anybody have a list of must see episodes?

1 particular episode that stands out for me which is also a favourite of mine is the episode Branded.

Other episodes i'd say that are worth a look are

The Day The Balloon Went Up
    Don't Forget The Diver
    The Test
    Asleep In The Deep
    The Face On The Poster
    The Royal Train
    We Know Our Onions
    Time On My Hands
    When You've Got to Go
    Is There Honey Still for Tea?

Too be honest i like the majority of the episodes.The episodes i mentioned above are episodes that i can think of just now.

I bought the boxset a few years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Dad's Army but It was never quite the same after James Beck died!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    number six wrote: »
    I love Dad's Army but It was never quite the same after James Beck died!

That was such a shock as other than Pike he was the 'youngest'. :(
  • sibooboosibooboo Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time Captain Mainwaring speaks, I think of The Mr Men
    :D:D
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    "You ruddy hooligans!"

I have had to take if off Series Link on my PVR as it has now recorded them all and put it on a straight text search so I keep getting the repeats of the repeats.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never get tired of Dad's Army. I must have seen most of these episodes a number of times now, and they're still funny.

The Deadly Attachment is a stand-out, but there are lots of good ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    The last couple of weeks have been just fantastic.
    I was crying when Jones thought he was dying as he gears the choir singing. It was just hilarious.

Loved the parade with wardens last week and poor Mr Godfrey offering his very large pussy cat as a mascot for the platoon. And at the start poor old Jonsey being caught out snogging Mrs Fox in the cinema.

It really is just genius and an excellent benchmark for modern comedies.
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,771
    Forum Member
    What's the name of the episode where they have to disentangle a German paratrooper from the town hall clock and get trapped in the bell tower?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    wuffles wrote: »
    What's the name of the episode where they have to disentangle a German paratrooper from the town hall clock and get trapped in the bell tower?

I haven't seen that one. Sounds fantastic.:D
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Time On My Hands
  • Mrs_Stig24Mrs_Stig24 Posts: 4,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Time on My Hands. A fantastic episode :)

Whenever my mum gets wound up about something my Dad and I always say "Don't panic, don't panic" to her.

Sometimes it doesn't go down too well :D
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Walker selling a cricket ball to Mainwaring for the cricket match, for 30 bob.
    "You'd sell your own grandmother wouldn't you?"
    "Nah. There's no market for her"

Lol. Always loved that line!

Absolutely loved Dad's Army. It was never quite the same without Walker, but they were all gems cos they had a very strong ensemble cast of such great characters.

I loved the one where Frazer lost the butterfly clip (I think it was called) to the Lewis Gun and they had to track it down.

The Don't tell him Pike episodes is another classic.

I loved Asleep in the Deep.

But really there's no episode I don't like because they all have moments of magic in them.

The episode where they all tried to look younger to avoid being moved from the squad is hilarious, specially when Mainwaring sees what Godfrey looks like.
    "He looks like Madame Butterfly' lol
    Just magic.
    They really DON'T make comedies like that anymore.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can even understand why Warden Hodges loathes Capt Mainwaring so much

Always looking down on him cos Hodges was a greengrocer and therefore in Mainwaring's eyes a mere tradesman.

There was also the fact that everyone knew Wilson was Pike's dad but no-one ever came out and said it. :D
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one with the Butterfly clip is called No Spring for Frazer. Its got this really funny scene between Jones and Old Mr Blewitt (Young Mr Grace from AYBS)

Jones: Just think of that Sydney he was only in my shop the other day and I served him 2 books of best end of Neck.

Mr Blewitt: Yes he came home here and unwrapped that very peice of meat that you just served him with.

Jones: You never know do you

Mr Blewitt: No you never do and do you know what his last words were

Jones: No what were they?

Mr Blewitt : He stood there with the meat in his hand and said "look at that all Bloody Bone" and the the very next second he was gone.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And of course there was the dynamic between Mainwaring and Wilson - where Wilson was confident as he HAD had combat experience and Mainwaring had sod-all...
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its funny when they were checking the rifles. Wilson says oh its all sparkly you know its just like fairyland.

Then theres A Wilson Manager when Mainwaring finds out that Wilson had applied for a manager post weeks ago but Mainwairing knew nothing about it. After 2 calls from the bank and the Home Guard commander telling him of Wilsons promotion the vicar comes on the phone and Mainwaring says

"What are you going to tell me about wilson that hes been made Archibishop of Canterbury"

then when Wilson does arrive hes greated by Mainwairing with the words Judus.
  • tjbantamtjbantam Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    You can even understand why Warden Hodges loathes Capt Mainwaring so much

Always looking down on him cos Hodges was a greengrocer and therefore in Mainwaring's eyes a mere tradesman.

There was also the fact that everyone knew Wilson was Pike's dad but no-one ever came out and said it. :D

To be fair, Hodges was just as up himself and always got what he deserved, like when they were on the pier and he ended up in the water next to a mine!
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who are interested the official Dad's Army web site

www.dadsarmy.co.uk