Options

Latest BBC response on the use of spoilers at the beginning and end of programmes!

mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
Forum Member
✭✭
Following up to one of my earlier threads, I tried again. I still find it hard to believe that they have research showing positive feedback on spoilers at the beginning and end of programmes:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding programme information given out on air.

I understand you’re unhappy with some programmes which trail what is to come up at the beginning of each episode, and with information at the end about the next edition.

We appreciate that you may find this approach disagreeable. This is used both as a reminder and a teaser to keep the audience aware of what's coming up.

With an increase in viewer choice and a dramatic fragmentation of the market, we have a duty to let the audience know about the choices available to them regarding the BBC's output which is funded by the licence fee. Therefore, we use trails to flag up content which our audience may find of interest. The feedback we received is positive regarding the enjoyment levels of our trails, both between programmes and those within particular series. The results show that trails found to be entertaining and informative are generally high.

While we try to provide a wide range of programme across formats our television output that'll be of interest to every section of our audience, there'll inevitably be times, hopefully rare, when what's on offer doesn't meet your own particular standards such as the teaser leading into a programme.

I acknowledge your concerns and I'd like to assure you that I've registered your complaint on our Audience Log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that’s made available to all BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive board, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The Audience Logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions on future BBC programmes and content.

Once again, thank you for contacting us."

:eek::confused::mad:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who the hell do they survey about such matters? BBC staff with guns pointed to their head?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with all surveys it rather depends on the actual wording of the question(s) being asked, and rahter importantly whether the opposite view was also queried.

E.G. Likely that the question was...

Do you find the trails enjoyable?

Answer....

Yes

However, did they also put the questions...

Do you find the trails intrusive?
    Would you prefer that we did not show trails within the programme? (I am assuming that viewers can easily avoid trails between progs...)
    etc

This is why surveys results - without knowing all the questions asked - are, at the very least, misleading... In these circumstances one always wants to quote Mark Twain... Lies, damned lies, and statistics :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure anyone who has complained about something and been told by the BBC that "we're right and you're wrong" will feel that the fact that "their complaint has been added to the log" they've taken some notice.

But what does "added to the log" mean?

I'd suggest, nothing!

For all it's worth they might just as well have said; "we've binned it."
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    mychmose wrote: »
    Following up to one of my earlier threads, I tried again. I still find it hard to believe that they have research showing positive feedback on spoilers at the beginning and end of programmes:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding programme information given out on air.

I understand you’re unhappy with some programmes which trail what is to come up at the beginning of each episode, and with information at the end about the next edition.

We appreciate that you may find this approach disagreeable. This is used both as a reminder and a teaser to keep the audience aware of what's coming up.

With an increase in viewer choice and a dramatic fragmentation of the market, we have a duty to let the audience know about the choices available to them regarding the BBC's output which is funded by the licence fee. Therefore, we use trails to flag up content which our audience may find of interest. The feedback we received is positive regarding the enjoyment levels of our trails, both between programmes and those within particular series. The results show that trails found to be entertaining and informative are generally high.

While we try to provide a wide range of programme across formats our television output that'll be of interest to every section of our audience, there'll inevitably be times, hopefully rare, when what's on offer doesn't meet your own particular standards such as the teaser leading into a programme.

I acknowledge your concerns and I'd like to assure you that I've registered your complaint on our Audience Log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that’s made available to all BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive board, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The Audience Logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions on future BBC programmes and content.

Once again, thank you for contacting us."

:eek::confused::mad:

They might as well have said "thank you for your interest, your comments have been noted".