Star Trek 2 "baddie" revealed ?

Comments

• paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    Don't forget Nemesis!

IMO...

TOS films: 1 was average, 2 was excellent, 3 was good, 4 was very good, 5 was awful, 6 was excellent.

TNG films: Generations was average, First Contact was excellent, Insurrection and Nemesis were both awful.

Voyager: Poor.

Enterprise: Awful.

I think I agree with that one - we might have more clues soon the trailer is due out tomorrow according to Simon Pegg

and with Enterprise I think they missed a really good opportunity to do something radically different.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    There's a London Eye in the poster too.

So I estimate the man is standing on the rubble of The Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, so maybe the baddie is Jack The Ripper... again. ;)
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack The Ripper ? That rings a bell :eek :In an original series ...series 1, there was an episode ' Wolf In The Fold' as you no doubt know . There was a thingy..a non corporeal wossname, going from body to body, feeding on fear. . It was decided or revealed - I can't remember, that said thingy' Rejac','was Jack The Ripper.

I still think that the villain will be Gary Mitchell but Fizzbin has noticed something that might be a clue to another villain entirely. Even if not, it's b. interesting to know where, he's standing ! ( I love that episode with the game of fizzbin :) )

Could Rejac have floored Spock, though ? Also, has the villain got a woman ..eg Alice Eve ..because Rejac hated, women so it's unlikely that Alice Eve would be around for long. Gary Mitchell had a female crew member with him and so did Khan.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First trailer is up. Looks....HUUUUGE in scale.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Using the "I have returned" line for a character we know nothing about would be silly. So there's a connection somewhere, I'm guessing.

ETA: Warning, the Japanese trailer potentially includes a major, major spoiler if you're a Trek fan who knows their stuff. It may also imply who the baddie is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    just watched the trailers,
    One thing that jumped out was the shot near the end of Benedict Cumberbatch's character sitting in a chair (just asfter the 2 shots of Kirk leaning forward) there is a subdued starfleet symbol on his top....wonder what that means?

Either way cant wait and yes I do have tickets for Imax Hobbit too :)
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »

So I estimate the man is standing on the rubble of The Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, so maybe the baddie is Jack The Ripper... again. ;)

My moneys on Baker street.;)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy_C75 wrote: »
    just watched the trailers,
    One thing that jumped out was the shot near the end of Benedict Cumberbatch's character sitting in a chair (just asfter the 2 shots of Kirk leaning forward) there is a subdued starfleet symbol on his top....wonder what that means?

Either way cant wait and yes I do have tickets for Imax Hobbit too :)

The synopsis says that the threat comes from within Starfleet, so that would make sense :)
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    It was like a bunch of twelve-year-olds spent five minutes drafting the plot for Nemesis.

"So, who would make the ultimate bad guy to face off against Picard?"

"I know. Evil Picard!"

"Excellent. Now that's out of the way, we can spend more time choreographing a completely pointless desert buggy chase."

Sorry for my late reply, but I loved Nemesis because it completely ignored what TNG had built up

I loved it because I can barely tolerate post TOS Star Trek in particular TNG television series.

I suppose that gives me an advantage in that there is nothing in the film to be outraged or precious about. I do think that the TNG faithful get very precious about Nemesis and overlook its good parts. Contrary to popular belief (in this thread) Tom Hardy is a very good actor and did a great job. I love the interplay between Stewart and Hardy.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peon wrote: »
    not a fan of benedict cumberbatch or his stupid name

Thank you for your positive contribution to this thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    The synopsis says that the threat comes from within Starfleet, so that would make sense :)

very true, still thinking Gary Mitchell, rather than Khan, but they have gone out of their way to deny Khan so much, might just be smoke and mirrors, either way, cant wait!
    its an adventure movie in the StarTrek universe, whats not to like :)
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »

The Gherkin is also in the poster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trailer - wow ! Does anyone remember the original series episode ' Mirror, Mirror' ? Benedict as whoever, says in the trailer, " ...your world". Mitchell and Khan were from Earth.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Trailer looks good! Almost wet myself at the end of the Japanese trailer!
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trailer looks good! Almost wet myself at the end of the Japanese trailer!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:eek:

O
    M
    G
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Sorry for my late reply, but I loved Nemesis because it completely ignored what TNG had built up

Of course it didn't. Do you think Data was always the way we see him in the movie? His personality in the film is the build up of years of experiences we witnessed in the TV show and the earlier movies. Hence the dramatic difference betwen Data and B4, highlighting the journey Data had been on to become the man he was.

A newcomer need not have watched any of the series to appreciate that of course. But your point that the movie completely ignores what the TV series had built up is totally inaccurate.
    I loved it because I can barely tolerate post TOS Star Trek in particular TNG television series.

I suppose that gives me an advantage in that there is nothing in the film to be outraged or precious about. I do think that the TNG faithful get very precious about Nemesis and overlook its good parts. Contrary to popular belief (in this thread) Tom Hardy is a very good actor and did a great job. I love the interplay between Stewart and Hardy.

Nemesis feels like a good movie that's a couple of rewrites away from being the movie it wants to be. It's great you love it, but it's not just precious TNG fans who didn't like it, critical and commercial response would indicate you are most deffinately in the minority, but each to their own.

I'm surprised about your comments about Tom Hardy, poular belief as far I was aware is that he is indeed a very good actor, but the weakness of the script made it impossible for him to showcase his talent.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've just had a though ..... yeahyeah ..... about WHO cumberbatch plays .....
    KHAN
    LT CDR GARY MITCHELL
    BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ETA: Warning, the Japanese trailer potentially includes a major, major spoiler if you're a Trek fan who knows their stuff. It may also imply who the baddie is.

Indeed it does. They'll never top the original version of that scene, especially the music they used during it. But it does appear they're replicating that part of their history.
    Link to the original version here: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/mv-vkxUE/star_trek_ii_the_wrath_of_khan_spocks_death/

I can see that scene working again. I never knew the Kobayashi Maru was referenced in the originals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I hope that's some kind of misdirection. As awesome as the trailer looks (especially the money shot of the Enterprise crashing) i kind of hope that they don't just regurgitate Khan and the end of TWOK by killing Spock in the exact same way as they did in the "classic Trek" timeline. It'd be good if they killed off someone else though due to the differences in the reboot timeline, kind of like a Butterfly Effect thing where different events lead to a different outcome.

Looking forward to the full trailer and the 9 min IMAX preview (although i'm seeing The Hobbit on the 13th and the preview wont be attached until the 14th, so i guess that gives me an excuse to see The Hobbit again:p).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ' Mirror, mirror'. Vulcan was blown up by Chris Pine's Kirk -sort of. .Someone , might be pretty darned annoyed especially if he was someone from the episode I've mentioned. " ...your world..", said Benedict C as whoever, not " ...our world".
  • Mr MoriartyMr Moriarty Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This looks like a great big sci fi spectacle/action movie - really entertaining looking - also quite possibly the least intelligent, most overtly populist in every sense trailer I have ever seen. I get the feeling, even more so than with the first one, going in to this movie as a blockbuster action fan rather than a trekkie may be the best course of action.

and also, the enterprise under water..... WTF Lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    This looks like a great big sci fi spectacle/action movie - really entertaining looking - also quite possibly the least intelligent, most overtly populist in every sense trailer I have ever seen. I get the feeling, even more so than with the first one, going in to this movie as a blockbuster action fan rather than a trekkie may be the best course of action.

Why can't you be a fan of both? I loved the 2009 film as both a fan of sci-fi action movies and as a self confessed Trekkie. They've reinvigorated the series and brought it up to date, if they'd just continued making old school Star Trek films that only appealed to the core established audience they would have bombed like Nemesis did and we'd have no Star Trek at all.

I really don't see how you can say that the trailer is "the least intelligent and most overtly populist trailer" you've ever seen...it's a 60 second teaser trailer, all they can do in that amount of time is show a bunch of money shots. Wait for the full trailer, or better yet, wait for the film itself before bashing it for lacking intelligence...
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ' Mirror, mirror'. Vulcan was blown up by Chris Pine's Kirk -sort of. .Someone , might be pretty darned annoyed especially if he was someone from the episode I've mentioned. " ...your world..", said Benedict C as whoever, not " ...our world".

So someone from a parallel timeline seeking revenge for the destruction of his homeworld...mmm, sounds familiar. I doubt very much they would use the basic same plot as the previous film.

(And in no shape or form did Kirk blow up Vulcan)
  • bridgerrbridgerr Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    It's a movie spin-off regarding DR.Who and the Trekkie crew. Hence why it's based around London ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    So someone from a parallel timeline seeking revenge for the destruction of his homeworld...mmm, sounds familiar. I doubt very much they would use the exact same plot as the previous film.

(And in no shape or form did Kirk blow up Vulcan)

"When you have eliminated the impossible, what remains, however improbable, must be the truth". Which is one way of saying " Yes, my theory is, rubbish". :)