Glasgow 2014

Comments

• Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Submitted my application earlier - gone for quite a few Athletics sessions including some morning ones & some Gymnastics, plus a couple of cycling & Rugby 7s finals. I also plan to watch Triathlon Relay & Marathons for free.

As I've gone for the more popular stuff I don't expect to get too much but hopefully will get some of what I asked.
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    That's a piddly little stadium though - capacity there can't be more than about 10K. Way too small.
    Is it? They moved it there deliberately from Murrayfield to be meet the demand that exists. Its pragmatic common sense over greed

The shambles of the Olympic football showed that you cant force people to attend, especially where the event is not near the pinnacle in a sport, which Commonwealth sevens wouldnt be. It makes more sense to have a smaller stadium, fill it, and actually generate atmosphere, rather than half fill a stadium and have it lousy atmosphere
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    Is it? They moved it there deliberately from Murrayfield to be meet the demand that exists. Its pragmatic common sense over greed

The shambles of the Olympic football showed that you cant force people to attend, especially where the event is not near the pinnacle in a sport, which Commonwealth sevens wouldnt be. It makes more sense to have a smaller stadium, fill it, and actually generate atmosphere, rather than half fill a stadium and have it lousy atmosphere

Well Manchester had no problem filling a circa 40K stadium in 2002 for the 7s. 10K is just far too small. Maybe in an ideal world a 30-40K capacity stadium would be good but as far as I'm aware that doesn't exist in Glasgow so Ibrox probably is the best option.

And let's wait & see what happens. Even if the sevens doesn't sell out in the first stage it may well still do so later on.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still haven't got around to applying for tickets. It's been on my things to do list for the last few weeks. Must get around to it next week.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The deadline is this coming Monday, at some random time like 6pm, not midnight.

I'm unsure whether to apply for tickets on days quite far apart. I can't afford to go to Glasgow more than once from London, nor can I afford to stay there for over a week.

Do you think it will be as easy to resell Commonwealth tickets as it was Olympic ones? Will there be a resale method through the official website?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »

I'm unsure whether to apply for tickets on days quite far apart. I can't afford to go to Glasgow more than once from London, nor can I afford to stay there for over a week.

Do you think it will be as easy to resell Commonwealth tickets as it was Olympic ones? Will there be a resale method through the official website?

Interesting question. Maybe you should ask - @2014TicketsCS on twitter would be a good place to start
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting question. Maybe you should ask - @2014TicketsCS on twitter would be a good place to start

I'm not on twitter. :( I may email them through the website, if it's possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good question. I'd be happy to do an overnight trip to Glasgow if I could get events over consecutive 2 days but I wouldn't want to go there more than once. The dilemma then is do you only apply for events over one weekend?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Good question. I'd be happy to do an overnight trip to Glasgow if I could get events over consecutive 2 days but I wouldn't want to go there more than once. The dilemma then is do you only apply for events over one weekend?

I think I'm going to throw caution to the wind and apply for everything I want and see what I get. I am applying for a lot of premium events and sessions (e.g. medalling sessions, Athletics, Swimming, Artistic Gymnastics) so I doubt I will even get one session let alone more than one.

Whereas in the Olympics I would've happily watched something like hockey which I have no real interest in because it only involved a tube ride across the city, I'm not going to fly to Glasgow for a sport I'm not into.

Having said that, I sold my Olympic hockey tickets in the end so turns out I wasn't even motivated to take a tube ride across the city! But only because I knew I'd get into the park another day for the athletics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'm going to throw caution to the wind and apply for everything I want and see what I get. I am applying for a lot of premium events and sessions (e.g. medalling sessions, Athletics, Swimming, Artistic Gymnastics) so I doubt I will even get one session let alone more than one.

Whereas in the Olympics I would've happily watched something like hockey which I have no real interest in because it only involved a tube ride across the city, I'm not going to fly to Glasgow for a sport I'm not into.

Having said that, I sold my Olympic hockey tickets in the end so turns out I wasn't even motivated to take a tube ride across the city! But only because I knew I'd get into the park another day for the athletics.

I've done similar, just gone for popular stuff like Athletics, Cycling, Gymnastics, Triathlon & Rugby 7s finals. Learning lessons from London 2012 I have applied for quite a few sessions but not expecting to get them all, would be pleasantly surprised if I even got a third of them
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Havent bothered in the end, just cant excited like Manchester 2002 or London 2012. Uninspiring venues and marketing, and a London 2012 hangover I suspect.

Decided to go all out for the Rugby World Cup in 2015 now they have released the fixtures
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am on the website now! Just applied for athletics, badminton, and gymnastics medal events.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done similar, just gone for popular stuff like Athletics, Cycling, Gymnastics, Triathlon & Rugby 7s finals. Learning lessons from London 2012 I have applied for quite a few sessions but not expecting to get them all, would be pleasantly surprised if I even got a third of them
    Athletics and cycling for me. Really wanted the triathlon too but it clashes with the cycling and can't be in two places at once.

I'd have preferred the tri but my companions have compromised with me on other events so need to repay the favour somewhere.

Might try for the tri relays - Welsh women look strong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got around to it. Gone for a mixture of athletics, rugby, cycling over both weekends plus the closing ceremony. That's a total of 10 events but I'd be happy to get 2 or 3 on either weekend. If I get tickets split over both weekends then I'll be reselling as I don't think I'd want to make two trips. a week apart.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just submitted my application (because i know i would have regretted it if i didn't) gone for Diving, Swimming, Athletics and Track Cycling. see what happens!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I submitted mine last night.

Went for Opening Ceremony, Closing Ceremony, Athletics men's 100m, 200m, relay finals, Artistic Gymnastics individual and team final medal sessions, and a couple of swimming medal sessions.

They're quite spread out over the two weeks but I suspect I won't get many (or any) anyway to have to worry about spending too much time up there.

I went for the cheapest price category in all options.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my!

At least it's not long to find out if we have been successful. Looks like all my entries are going to the ballot. Best of luck to everyone!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    Athletics and cycling for me. Really wanted the triathlon too but it clashes with the cycling and can't be in two places at once.

I'd have preferred the tri but my companions have compromised with me on other events so need to repay the favour somewhere.

Might try for the tri relays - Welsh women look strong.

It's the Triathlon Relay I've gone for as well. Mixed relay isn't it - any decent Welsh male Triathletes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »

You really should have applied for both as the odds are that you wouldn't get both - and even if you did, you'd be able to resell one of them.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »

Thats actually 2.3 million ticket requests rather than applicants - i.e total number of tickets requested, as almost every one that applied will have asked for more than one ticket.
    More than 2.3 million requests have been made for up to one million Commonwealth Games tickets.

Doesn't say how many people applied in that article, probably too soon to say so soon after the ballot process closed.

Still an impressive response though .:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I think I applied for around 10 sessions myself, two tickets for each. So 20 tickets.

If everyone did that, it would cut the 2.3 million requests down to 115,000 actual people applying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Thats actually 2.3 million ticket requests rather than applicants - i.e total number of tickets requested, as almost every one that applied will have asked for more than one ticket.

There's a total of about 1 million tickets available so if you have applied for 10 tickets then, on average, you should get about 4. Of course it will depend on the event as athletics, cycling and swimming will be more popular than bowls.

Whatever the outcome people will complain about the process but in reality there is never a totally fair of allocating tickets.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have applied for:

Sun, 27 Jul 14:30 - 18:00 Athletics: Track & Field

Mon, 28 Jul 10:00 - 13:00 Athletics: Track & Field

Mon, 28 Jul 15:00 - 19:15 Badminton

Tue, 29 Jul 19:00 - 22:30 Athletics: Track & Field

Wed, 30 Jul 13:00 - 16:30 Gymnastics: Artistic

Wed, 30 Jul 19:00 - 22:15 Athletics: Track & Field

Thu, 31 Jul 15:00 - 19:00 Gymnastics: Artistic

Fri, 1 Aug 19:00 - 22:30 Athletics: Track & Field
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it'll be the same as the London games: there will be a scramble for tickets nearer the time. Then there are those of us who have pre-planned and applied now (and perhaps still won't get any :cry:).