Jahmene Douglas 'refuses to sing Katy Perry group song'

Comments

• elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds more like there was no part he could wail over. :p

But seriously, I would have sang the song regardless.
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eve Elle wrote: »
    In her recent movie, she says she's still Christian, so... :o

Anyways, couldn't he just sing a different part of the song? One that doesn't reference alcohol or whatever it is that he objects to?

She should practice what she preaches then!
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it?

I just thought he was a bog standard X-Factor contestant, not a worldwide superstar with a particularly memorable image or message to promote.

Absolutely good on him if he chooses to be teetotal; however, as a professional singer, he is paid to sing - not to make moral judgements. If he releases an album in the future he will be fully bound to SYCO's rules and will have NO choice in the songs he is told to record and he will find his longevity very rudely interrupted if he chooses to take such moral judgements again.

True he's not a superstar yet but what if he was to become the next huge international export? Is he really going to throw all his moral fibre to the 4 winds just in order to make a record? I should think he wants people to look to him to set a clear example of right and wrong. I hope he can do that i really do.
  • BlueStreakBlueStreak Posts: 11,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True he's not a superstar yet but what if he was to become the next huge international export? Is he really going to throw all his moral fibre to the 4 winds just in order to make a record? I should think he wants people to look to him to set a clear example of right and wrong. I hope he can do that i really do.

With the utmost respect, he's not The Messiah for goodness sake.

:)
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,684
    Forum Member
    Good for him for sticking up for what he believes in, but its just a song :o TBH if he wants to be a singer he wont really get to choose his songs (that is, if he signs with SYCO but I'm sure he'll have songs that will suit him). Cant he maybe sing a different part of the song? :confused:
  • FlohFloh Posts: 4,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlueStreak wrote: »
    I'm teetotal but it wouldn't stop me singing the Philosopher's Drinking Song........... ;)

Immanuel Kant was a real p*ssant
    who was very rarely stable.
    Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
    who could think you under the table.
    David Hume could out consume
    Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel,
    And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
    who was just as sloshed as Schlegel

Nice one. I never heard of that before.

I'm not teetotal — I'll have a shot of Bailey's once in a long while. ;)
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with a little wine with a meal (The Last Supper stylee) but British yob culture with men coming home to beat the cr*p out of their wives is a whole other ball game.

Yes because alcohol consumption ALWAYS leads to domestic violence.

And 'Last Friday Night' is all about beating your wife.

You're SO right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Floh wrote: »
    Nice one. I never heard of that before.

I'm not teetotal — I'll have a shot of Bailey's once in a long while. ;)

There are more versus google it, it's great :)

My parents owned pubs, I've been around so much alcohol in my life and never once have I been tempted to drink myself into oblivion. It really does depend on the individual.

I have the occasional glass of wine, possibly a bottle per year.......and the odd shandy or two when it's hot as a refreshing drink. I'm a lil tinker on the quiet LOL!

So possibly not quite teetotal but as near as makes no diffence :)
  • DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the way KP songs glorify sex and adult behaviours all wrapped up in sickly sweet candy aesthetics as pop, marketed for children. If she wants to sing about drinking and sex, that's fine by me -her prerogative. But, the songs should be marketed to adults. I'm glad Jahmene's refused to sing it as it means that I won't have to listen to it, and young people who are watching a family show that's pre watershed don't have to be exposed to it either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the way KP songs glorify sex and adult behaviours all wrapped up in sickly sweet candy aesthetics as pop, marketed for children. If she wants to sing about drinking and sex, that's fine by me -her prerogative. But, the songs should be marketed to adults. I'm glad Jahmene's refused to sing it as it means that I won't have to listen to it, and young people who are watching a family show that's pre watershed don't have to be exposed to it either.

How would you market the songs for adults only?

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with what you are saying Floh. It's particularly bad for someone who is already part of a group of drinkers who is borderline alcoholic (or at risk of losing their health because of it). How do they negotiate their way out? It's troublesome and I think it takes a strong person, who people can look up to, to point out that it's okay to be a non-drinker.

:cool::cool::cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlueStreak wrote: »
    There are more versus google it, it's great :)

My parents owned pubs, I've been around so much alcohol in my life and never once have I been tempted to drink myself into oblivion. It really does depend on the individual.

I have the occasional glass of wine, possibly a bottle per year.......and the odd shandy or two when it's hot as a refreshing drink. I'm a lil tinker on the quiet LOL!

So possibly not quite teetotal but as near as makes no diffence :)

I used to drink (not lots), but a couple of glasses of wine (normal size, not super-sized) made me a very cheap date.

I'm happy to make others happy being designated driver just so long as we go to restaurants I choose to go to with eats I want to eat. They can all drink as much as they want so long as they're not vomiting shamelessly.

I've been out of the U.K. for many years and have read the binge drinking problem is rather huge these days. I shall avoid high streets in the evenings upon my soon to be return. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I went off him when he mentioned Jesus on the xtra factor. I am not a non believer but not keen on Christians
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At some point in this soul sucking venture, people are entitled to stick up for their personal integrity. The fact that most are happy to sell their souls to the devil to get what they want is neither here nor there. Good on him for taking a principled stand. Assuming of course there is any truth in the story in the first instance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She's warped. Then again most of the pop industry is warped.
  • xfactorisgr8xfactorisgr8 Posts: 20,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If everyone else wanted to sing this song then Jahmene should have just gone through with it.

Its unfair to change the song just for one person.. I can picture the press stories if it was Chris who refused to sing a group song :rolleyes:
  • steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Sometimes you have to sing songs that have stories that you are not connected with in real life, to refuse to sing a song that has a story about something you dont approve of, is a little diva-ish IMO.OK he has had a bad past, but if he limits himself to just singing about things he approves of, then he wont get very far in the business, its damn tough out there.

This.
  • QuiteInterestedQuiteInterested Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since when did contestants get to refuse to sing a song anyway? Has this ever happened before?
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He'll have to if he wins or is one of the runner ups in XFactor
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh...they don't seem to have any problems last year getting Marcus Collins to sing songs about girls he was in love with, which is clearly against HIS principles...
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he would probably like to get voted out now to be honest. He has shown his talent, he WILL get a record deal and probably do very well. Sounds like he wants out now.
  • ParnebParneb Posts: 5,676
    Forum Member
    Good for Jahmene, if I was a contestant I would have done the same thing.

Same here.
  • *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    And they say Christopher is a diva?. This kid is so dull, atleast this makes him a bit more interesting.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went off him when he mentioned Jesus on the xtra factor. I am not a non believer but not keen on Christians

But if you're not a non-believer (ie, you are a believer), surely that makes you a Christian? I'm a non-believer, very much an atheist, but I respect other peoples views even if I don't agree with them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not a non believer but not keen on Christians

That makes sense.

Erm ... :o