Census Results 2011

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
Forum Member
Some interesting info, immigration up,
The number of foreign-born residents has increased by 13%, from 4.6 million to 7.5 million.

Population up 3.7million since 2001.
Religion down ....
The new ONS data also reveals there has been a big decrease in the number of people who consider themselves to be Christian.

Numbers fell by four million over the past decade - from 37.3 million in 2001 to 33.2 million last year.

There was a 10% increase in those stating "no religion".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/datablog/2012/jul/16/2011-census-results-data

http://news.sky.com/story/1023763/census-rise-in-immigrants-boosts-population
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20675307#TWEET438070
for England/Wales

http://www.scrol.gov.uk/scrol/common/home.jsp
Scotland

I suppose it is pretty much to be expected, numbers of other religions up too, but I think people are just less scared to say, and that the numbers are probably much the same.

All very interesting! What do you think?

Comments

• drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The number of people stating "no religion" is not a big shock, especially as there was campaign by the British Humanist Association encouraging people to select this option. I know people who consider themselves "spiritual" but choose to identify themselves as not belonging to a particular religion. Also, other faiths like Islam have increased in numbers. At the end of the day they are still very crude categories which don't tell a lot about specific beliefs. Ultimately, I see it as a positive thing that people can be honest in our society.
  • EmmasmytheEmmasmythe Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quote:
    The number of foreign-born residents has increased by 13%, from 4.6 million to 7.5 million.

Maths is not my forte, but that cant be right
    :D
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Where's the religion bit?
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drakhen wrote: »
    The number of people stating "no religion" is not a big shock, especially as there was campaign by the British Humanist Association encouraging people to select this option. I know people who consider themselves "spiritual" but choose to identify themselves as not belonging to a particular religion. Also, other faiths like Islam have increased in numbers. At the end of the day they are still very crude categories which don't tell a lot about specific beliefs. Ultimately, I see it as a positive thing that people can be honest in our society.
    no religious affiliation . Not the same as "no religion".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    drakhen wrote: »

Just how honest with something that is compulsory, enforced by threats of fines and prison and seen by some as a huge invasion of privacy?

I find it fascinating though, just like I find the ones from a hundred years back fascinating. As I said, somethings that they are surprised at don't actually seem to be a real shock, just that people aren't afraid to say they are a different religion, but the numbers probably haven't changed that much.
    Forum Member
    Ah - what we really need to know!

Census 2011: how many Jedi Knights are there in England & Wales?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/datablog/interactive/2012/dec/11/census-religion?CMP=twt_gu
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/datablog/interactive/2012/dec/11/census-religion?CMP=twt_gu

29,267 people don't understand what atheism is.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just how honest with something that is compulsory, enforced by threats of fines and prison and seen by some as a huge invasion of privacy?

I find it fascinating though, just like I find the ones from a hundred years back fascinating. As I said, somethings that they are surprised at don't actually seem to be a real shock, just that people aren't afraid to say they are a different religion, but the numbers probably haven't changed that much.

Missty, my great great grandad would swop round his kids' ages and birth places on censuses, and my great grandad continued the tradition when he grew up. I think officially, he has at least 4 different birth places according to different censuses... There have always been people who weren't scared of authority and didn't take it seriously.:D
  • trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Love it, I think I may have put that on mine, I can't remember now though!
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Missty, my great great grandad would swop round his kids' ages and birth places on censuses, and my great grandad continued the tradition when he grew up. I think officially, he has at least 4 different birth places according to different censuses... There have always been people who weren't scared of authority and didn't take it seriously.:D

Lol! Mine too! Obviously a very suspicious generation Hogz!

My granddad used to tell pollsters and canvassers rubbish too!

But we know that if some mess with the info some of it has to be correct and there are ways of filtering the inaccuracies or allowing for them - as researchers know!

Trends - increases decreases tend to be accurate as there are the same numbers of dodgy answers in comparative studies.
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    haha 6242 people put heavy metal :D
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My grandad never used to pay his tax either:D
    He used to say "what I earn has NOTHING to do with the state:mad:, I'm not scared of authority!!! and I dont take tax seriously". Now there was a grandad with balls, not like those other granddads who simply "rebelled" against the census (LOL)

It has become a family tradition:D
    Forum Member
    muddipaws wrote: »

I wouldn't worry, that's the Mail and the Mail's normal line.

We are talking actual analysis from real newspapers and statisticians.
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    My grandad never used to pay his tax either:D
    He used to say "what I earn has NOTHING to do with the state:mad:, I'm not scared of authority!!! and I dont take tax seriously". Now there was a grandad with balls, not like those other granddads who simply "rebelled" against the census (LOL)

It has become a family tradition:D

Love it!

My uncle never passed his driving test either. No lessons or license. Drove for around 20years in this country before emigrating. Didn't agree with the info held on computers.

Him and my granddad misleading canvassers etc, I have a really dodgy family!
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry, that's the Mail and the Mail's normal line.

We are talking actual analysis from real newspapers and statisticians.

LOL

What like the BBC who saw fit to run with the headline that more people were self identifying as having no religion rather than a headline referring to the huge population increase due to immigration?
    Forum Member
    LOL

What like the BBC who saw fit to run with the headline that more people were self identifying as having no religion rather than a headline referring to the huge population increase due to immigration?

Gawd...That didn't come out quite as I meant it. My apologies to muddipaws - I really meant no offense, just that they nit pick the bits that will get their headlines - ie to fit with their agenda.

As you say Speak-Softly, they take the bit that fits with what they want to highlight! I think the surprise would have been if the Mail hadn't followed the immigration line. and the BBC aren't headlining anything here, a general analysis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20677321

It's just we all know the Mail's bias, we could have predicted exactly which bit they would headline!

Which is why I included links to analysis of the whole census. But none can be truly unbiased.
  • MuddyMooseMuddyMoose Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just love these results, the reaction on the Daily Mail has made my day.

I'd have loved to see the faces of some posters, especially a few above me when they read Whites down, Minorities up, London no longer a majority White city for the first time, and Muslims up, and Christians down they must apoplectic.

You can moan, whine, say what you want, nothing changes the fact we're here and we're here to stay. So enjoyable.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Being a Jehovah witness in Norwich and Brighton must be a tough gig.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Population up 3.7million since 2001.
    Religion down ....

All very interesting! What do you think?

I bet Islam isn't.

And I think it's sad that the country's indigenous population is being eroded, its culture altered by an influx of immigrants.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    MuddyMoose wrote: »
    I just love these results, the reaction on the Daily Mail has made my day.

I'd have loved to see the faces of some posters, especially a few above me when they read Whites down, Minorities up, London no longer a majority White city for the first time, and Muslims up, and Christians down they must apoplectic.

You can moan, whine, say what you want, nothing changes the fact we're here and we're here to stay. So enjoyable.

If you adopt that attitude then you can't be surprised when there's an inevitable backlash.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you adopt that attitude then you can't be surprised when there's an inevitable backlash.

I've read your posts, and to be honest I don't care what you think or any blow back from the likes of you, its just hot air.

Oh yeah the White population is getting older much older than ethnic minorities, I think more than 25% of births are to ethnic minorities also, so you better get your backlash in very quick or it will be unchangeable!
    Forum Member
    I bet Islam isn't.

And I think it's sad that the country's indigenous population is being eroded, its culture altered by an influx of immigrants.

There is no indigenous population here. The Indo Europeans have just been here longer. They were a nomadic people who settled here just after the last IceAge, around 4.500 years ago. They arrived from a nomadic existence in the European alps.

Since then there have been waves of invaders and settlers and there will no doubt continue to be immigration contributing richness and diversity to our culture, religion and language.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet Islam isn't.

:D:D

Keep posting how much this news upsets, and angers you please. Share with me your grief.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no indigenous population here. The Indo Europeans have just been here longer. They were a nomadic people who settled here just after the last IceAge, around 4.500 years ago. They arrived from a nomadic existence in the European alps.

Since then there have been waves of invaders and settlers and there will no doubt continue to be immigration contributing richness and diversity to our culture, religion and language.

I expect the same was said when white man colonized Africa!