Just watched the end of the xmas eve Emmerdale ep...

2»

Comments

• AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the fact that so many people found it so bleak and disturbing shows that it did what the producers set out for it to do. And it's got people talking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    James J wrote: »
    I think it was too disturbing. It felt like a horror film that would not air before 9.

I honestly think any complaints will be upheld - it was inappropriately graphic and should have aired later, or not shot in that style.

Showing him being dragged by his feet, limply trying to kick him away, then shoved in the van, and the close up of his face covered in blood before the doors were slammed... It was horrendous and I don't even know who the characters are as I don't watch ED. I only saw it cos I was waiting for Corrie to start at 7.30.

I'm all for grittiness and the scenes were shocking but they took it too far in the way they showed it and the impact it had.

:o

Thank you! This is pretty much what I meant.
    And SilverViens, no offence taken. :)
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sight of Debbie is gloomy and depressing enough. Alex's murder was light relief in comparison:D
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,689
    Forum Member
    The Christmas episode where Louise killed Ray always sticks out in my mind, very unexpected and was frightening when Ray showed up at the house.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say I found it extremely disturbing & too sinister & vicious to show at its usual tx time. The bit where Cameron dragged Alex through the woods while he was alive... I really hope itv get a shedload of complaints.

Have you complained to ITV?
  • LilaLila Posts: 6,780
    Forum Member
    I found it disturbing and uncomfortable to watch and that's a first for me - i'm usually telling others to shut up it's only a soap.

It sums up how awful Emmerdale has become and going for sensationalism instead of a decent bloody storyline.

I loved Emmerdale & praised it to other people that it did not get the credit it deserves.

It deserves no credit now as I feel it is a load of cack.

And I am on the verge of switching off for good before someone pipes up.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the obvious suspension of disbelief required to accept that Cameron could have caught up with Alex so quickly in thick woodland and then overpowered him so easily (:rolleyes:), I think the rest of it was, dramatically, very powerful and moving and made for uncomfortable viewing, which I am sure was the idea.

For me, it was all the more effective because it was not graphic in any way. It was so disturbing how we just saw the increasingly insane Cameron shut down the back of the van, with Silent Night playing over it.:eek:

I say well done to ED for that.:cool: It was certainly nothing like as graphic as most of the video games that kids spend their lives watching these days, and younger kids (and anybody else who thinks death doesn't happen at Christmas) shouldn't have been watching anyway - the murder has been no secret for weeks.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cameron had already banged Alex across the head which was bound to make Alex slower. Also his ankles had been tied up all night. So with these 2 factors I think it was very believable that Cameron caught up with Alex.

Apart from that though I agree with Oldnjaded's comments. I thought it was brilliantly done and Alex's exit will be remembered, just as Carl's will be.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing like a Xmas murder :D
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Alex murder has been a thoroughly gruesome interlude - a decent bloke drawn into something absolutely not of his making.

With many, or most, soap killings there's usually some sort of background to the terminal event but this seemed brutal, cold-blooded and almost casual.

From being hit from behind by Cameron, Alex was depicted as terrified and almost powerless in the presence of this confessed, self-pitying killer.

Awful.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Alex murder has been a thoroughly gruesome interlude - a decent bloke drawn into something absolutely not of his making.

With many, or most, soap killings there's usually some sort of background to the terminal event but this seemed brutal, cold-blooded and almost casual.

From being hit from behind by Cameron, Alex was depicted as terrified and almost powerless in the presence of this confessed, self-pitying killer.

Awful.

You make a good point.

Alex's killing almost seems like a rushed afterthought.

He's barely been part of this Cameron saga, yet he's suddenly killed off as if he was a major part of it.:confused:
  • rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say I found it extremely disturbing & too sinister & vicious to show at its usual tx time. The bit where Cameron dragged Alex through the woods while he was alive... I really hope itv get a shedload of complaints.

It was great, pity the bloke playing Cameron can't act though :D
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was brilliantly done, it felt realistic.

If you hadn't have been horrified by it the actors, writers and producers would not have done their jobs properly.

- also little kids see worse on the news every single day...