Emmerdale - Past and Present (Part 7)

Comments

• dobby's bludgerdobby's bludger Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tjbantam wrote: »
    Moira should have told Adumb to f-off. Total tit he is.

Anyway, gonna try something new:

Tjbantam's The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (of this week's Emmerdale):

THE GOOD -
    James Hooton: Reliably brilliant as Sam.
    Belle giving Debbie what for.
    Jeff Hordley & Lucy Pargeter: Great final scene on Friday

THE BAD:
    Belle behaving like a typical teen all of a sudden
    Thomas the 25 year old teenager
    Adam taking the moral high ground re:Moira's behaviour

THE UGLY:
    The Debbie storyline
    Yet another affair storyline (YAWN...no ideas)
    Katie getting forgiven by Gennie just like that.
    i love the bit about thomas
  • mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    tinkie wrote: »
    I hate his ridiculous hairstyle
    David is dead wood Tinkie, like so many other villagers now.
    I have to disagree. Cain and Chas have become incredibly stale as characters. I couldn't care less what happens to them now because they're so unlikeable. Both personalities are well past their sell-by date and unfortunately the actors always use facial contortions in their scenes. The best acting is 'invisible', it's effortless and as such is hardly noticeable. With Hordley and Pargeter this isn't the case. Often clumsy and over the top, compared to past greats like Amanda Donohoe their acting is amateurish.
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have to disagree. Cain and Chas have become incredibly stale as characters. I couldn't care less what happens to them now because they're so unlikeable. Both personalities are well past their sell-by date and unfortunately the actors always use facial contortions in their scenes. The best acting is 'invisible', it's effortless and as such is hardly noticeable. With Hordley and Pargeter this isn't the case. Often clumsy and over the top, compared to past greats like Amanda Donohoe their acting is amateurish.

Don;t you think, though, that Amandal donohoe's character was a completely different type. Cain and Chas are pretty over the top as characters. I know lots of people in reality who have who very expressive faces (I'm one, I'm afraid. I'm always being told that my face gives away exactly what I'm thinking) - equally others who don't. I think with both Lucy Pargeter and Jeff Hordley (and Amanda Donohoe, incidentally), you can see a lot of expression their eyes which isn't 'gurning' for want of a better word, but subtle. It's simply that Amanda Donohoe played a subtler, more contained character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have to disagree with you on that Musty! While i agree some brilliant acting is invisible to the audience the best acting out there for me is when the performer brings me into the story and what they are trying to tell and Jeff Hordley and Lucy Pargeter last night did that amazingly!

They conveyed emotions and were reaching deep down to find the trigger to unleash them not only to each other but to the audience and i for one was moved by the story they were telling!

The best stories imo are the ones that can bring an emotional side out in me because those are the ones that are the most interesting and makes me wanna see more i think that's drawn me to take a strong interest in the character of Amy and her journey because that is exactly what she does in my eyes always gets right to me through her performances!

I do feel that is the shows strong point non of the these big OTT game changers while they do have their merits cant beat great dialogue between two people!
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don;t you think, though, that Amandal donohoe's character was a completely different type. Cain and Chas are pretty over the top as characters. I know lots of people in reality who have who very expressive faces (I'm one, I'm afraid. I'm always being told that my face gives away exactly what I'm thinking) - equally others who don't. I think with both Lucy Pargeter and Jeff Hordley (and Amanda Donohoe, incidentally), you can see a lot of expression their eyes which isn't 'gurning' for want of a better word, but subtle. It's simply that Amanda Donohoe played a subtler, more contained character.

Tbh, I always thought Amanda Donohoe's acting style was usually that of somebody who's just realised they've got a broom handle stuck up their jacksy and has decided that even the tiniest movement would be a bad mistake. :eek:

I can't agree with Musty about Jeff H at all - as you say, he has amazingly expressive eyes but I don't think he ever pulls faces to make his point.

I sometimes feel Lucy is approaching the borderline of overacting, but usually manages to pull back just in time. I don't have a lot of sympathy for the Chas character, but generally, I think Lucy puts everything into it and the scene with Cain on Friday was excellent, I thought. I certainly had a tear in my eye.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's simply that Amanda Donohoe played a subtler, more contained character.

I always thought Natasha was a cold character that didnt need have a wide range of emotions! She was mainly authoritative who's job was to keep her family in check and to keep the family name a powerful one a job right until she killed Mark she did to perfection!
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to agree with you Musti.
    I hate gurning and overacting and there are quite a lot in soaps who do that.
    I much prefer the understated style of acting.
    However, i love Chas as a character and think she has plenty of life left in her.
    I still like Cain but have gone off him a lot since he got back with Moira.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Tbh, I always thought Amanda Donohoe's acting style was usually that of somebody who's just realised they've got a broom handle stuck up their jacksy and has decided that even the tiniest movement would be a bad mistake. :eek:

I can't agree with Musty about Jeff H at all - as you say, he has amazingly expressive eyes but I don't think he ever pulls faces to make his point.

I sometimes feel Lucy is approaching the borderline of overacting, but usually manages to pull back just in time. I don't have a lot of sympathy for the Chas character, but generally, I think Lucy puts everything into it and the scene with Cain on Friday was excellent, I thought. I certainly had a tear in my eye.:)

BIB :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D. Painful. I thought she was quite good, but then anyone would shine in a scene with Maxwell Caulfield.
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the end of the day, acting, even soap level acting, is an 'art form' and what you like is purely down to personal taste.

For me, a classic example of this was Lacey Turner in EE.
    She won numerous awards as best actress for playing Stacey, but i genuinely thought she was terrible!
    Even bog standard scenes and dialogue were delivered with a screwed up nose and snarl.
    Shockingly bad, but that's just my opinion, and nothing could ever change that about her acting in EE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dixon wrote: »
    At the end of the day, acting, even soap level acting, is an 'art form' and what you like is purely down to personal taste.

She won numerous awards as best actress for playing Stacey, but i genuinely thought she was terrible!
    Even bog standard scenes and dialogue were delivered with a screwed up nose and snarl.
    Shockingly bad, but that's just my opinion, and nothing could ever change that about her acting in EE.

Dixon, tut tut, 'even soap level acting'? Soaps have a far higher standard of acting than much of the 'quality drama' on t.v. and respected theatricals usually stick out like sore thumbs when they appear on soaps, Nigel Havers being the exception.

I think the key is not so much whether you like the character or actor in a soap, but whether you think they're believable -that you could imagine people you know or see around, behaving in the same way, and you can understand their motivation. Often, when a character seems to over or under emote, that's the character, not the actor. It's the type of person that character is, and of course the actor will interpret that in their own way, but they are probably basing that on people they know and their understanding of psychology. I like understated performances too, but I would argue that Jeff Hordley is understated and subtle in his performance, but he has a 'extreme' character to play. Lucy Pargeter can go a bit over the top, but again that's the character. Natasha Wylde was a classy, in control, stiff upper lip type. It wouldn't have been appropriate for Amanda Donohoe to over-emote, it wouldn't have been in line with the character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I always found Lacey Turner to be one of the most talented actresses to ever appear on EE! Her performances moved me quite a lot and deserved all the awards she got!
    Dixon, tut tut, 'even soap level acting'? Soaps have a far higher standard of acting than much of the 'quality drama' on t.v. and respected theatricals usually stick out like sore thumbs when they appear on soaps, Nigel Havers being the exception.

Ive seen by miles far better and more believable acting from the soap stars than i have from the multi millionaire Hollywood stars!

I dont like it when the performers on these shows that genuinely perform their hearts out get dismissed all because they work on a soap! They (Well quite a few of them) prove time and time again that they deserve their place at the top!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Amanda Donohoe was AWFUL.

I really like Cain, I think he's one of the all time greats. And Chas IS OTT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always found Lacey Turner to be one of the most talented actresses to ever appear on EE! Her performances moved me quite a lot and deserved all the awards she got!

Ive seen by miles far better and more believable acting from the soap stars than i have from the multi millionaire Hollywood stars!

I dont like it when the performers on these shows that genuinely perform their hearts out get dismissed all because they work on a soap! They (Well quite a few of them) prove time and time again that they deserve their place at the top!

Totally agree! Soaps have large casts, and some are not so good, just like in any large workplace, but it's so unfair to class all of them in the same category. Not just emmerdale, but River City and Coronation St have some extremely good actors - and I mean 'actors' not 'soap actors.'
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,676
    Forum Member
    I have to agree with JR about Jeff and Lucy. Jeff, in particular, brought subtle characterisation to the portrayal of extreme emotion. His reactions to Lucy were especially good - the swallowing back of his feelings in the face of her saying that she would always love him as her brother, for example. Real reactions that rang true.

(Where I do differ from JR is on the subject of Lacey Turner. I'm with Dixon on this - terrible actress and massively over-rated. The actress who plays her mother, Jean, is so much better than Lacey and scenes between them always served to highlight Lacey's limitations. Anyhoo, wrong soap.)
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To each other??????? I only saw Cain being cruel and hateful!!!!! Chas was laying in some home truths that Cain needs to recognize himself and to stop being a total tyrant to someone he supposedly loves!

But i will agree that scene was acted amazingly one of the best scenes ive seen on the show for a while!

But Cain IS a nasty person isn't he so it's not unexpected that he'd throw all that nastiness in her face (especially when you consider that Chas hurt the love of his life - his daughter :rolleyes:) but what I loved about that scene was Chas reminding HIM of all the bad things he'd done as well as reminding him that she has stood by him in the past when everyone has been against him.

It was very satisfying hearing Cain's crimes and misdemeanour's brought up. How many times have us posters on this thread (and others) said "hypocrites! what about when he/she did this, that and the other? They've got a bloody short memory!" So it was good to hear a character defend themselves by attacking the other with their shady past! :cool:

But wasn't it telling when Cain dismissed alot of what he'd done because "they're not family", no you twonk but they're someone elses! :mad:

(And we'll have to agree to disagree re Cain JR *virtual handshake!*)
    Moira should have told Adumb to f-off. Total tit he is.

Anyway, gonna try something new:

Tjbantam's The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (of this week's Emmerdale):

THE GOOD -
    James Hooton: Reliably brilliant as Sam.
    Belle giving Debbie what for.

THE BAD:
    Belle behaving like a typical teen all of a sudden
    Thomas the 25 year old teenager
    Adam taking the moral high ground re:Moira's behaviour

THE UGLY:
    The Debbie storyline
    Yet another affair storyline (YAWN...no ideas)
    Katie getting forgiven by Gennie just like that.

Very good Tj! Can't argue with any of that.

You've never gotten over 'Me Dress!' have you Musty? :D

Good points Glenda.

Personally I'm a 'hand talker' - people say that if you cut my hands off I wouldn't be able to talk!!!
    Tbh, I always thought Amanda Donohoe's acting style was usually that of somebody who's just realised they've got a broom handle stuck up their jacksy and has decided that even the tiniest movement would be a bad mistake.

I sometimes feel Lucy is approaching the borderline of overacting, but usually manages to pull back just in time. I don't have a lot of sympathy for the Chas character, but generally, I think Lucy puts everything into it and the scene with Cain on Friday was excellent, I thought. I certainly had a tear in my eye.

ROFL!!!! Onj you do make me laugh :D

But I was a big fan of Natasha Wylde, thought she was brilliant.

Agree with the rest of your post though re the actors who play Cain and Chas. I think Lucy P showed her mettle on the live episode, I thought she was superb. I've always liked Chas though so perhaps I'm biased!
    I always thought Natasha was a cold character that didnt need have a wide range of emotions! She was mainly authoritative who's job was to keep her family in check and to keep the family name a powerful one a job right until she killed Mark she did to perfection!

Your description of Natasha is what I liked about her. She was cool, calm and collected - even when she blew a hole in her husband!
    I have to agree with JR about Jeff and Lucy. Jeff, in particular, brought subtle characterisation to the portrayal of extreme emotion. His reactions to Lucy were especially good - the swallowing back of his feelings in the face of her saying that she would always love him as her brother, for example. Real reactions that rang true.

(Where I do differ from JR is on the subject of Lacey Turner. I'm with Dixon on this - terrible actress and massively over-rated. The actress who plays her mother, Jean, is so much better than Lacey and scenes between them always served to highlight Lacey's limitations. Anyhoo, wrong soap.)

Agree with ALL of this.

Although I find Lacey Turner quite watchable I do think she is quite overrated. In nearly everything I've seen her in since she just seems to be playing different versions of Stacey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moira remembering that she is a widow is too little too late. Since John's death she's been the village's merry widow. Instead of sending her flowers her daughters should have send her a box of condoms.
  • valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    MissLola wrote: »
    Moira remembering that she is a widow is too little too late. Since John's death she's been the village's merry widow. Instead of sending her flowers her daughters should have send her a box of condoms.

I have to agree with you on that.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissLola wrote: »

i agree with all of this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For me the women who plays Jean is a one trick pony who turfs out the exact same material in the exact same style all the time! (But hey wrong soap :D)
    lotty27 wrote: »
    But Cain IS a nasty person isn't he so it's not unexpected that he'd throw all that nastiness in her face (especially when you consider that Chas hurt the love of his life - his daughter :rolleyes:) but what I loved about that scene was Chas reminding HIM of all the bad things he'd done as well as reminding him that she has stood by him in the past when everyone has been against him.

It was very satisfying hearing Cain's crimes and misdemeanour's brought up. How many times have us posters on this thread (and others) said "hypocrites! what about when he/she did this, that and the other? They've got a bloody short memory!" So it was good to hear a character defend themselves by attacking the other with their shady past! :cool:

But wasn't it telling when Cain dismissed alot of what he'd done because "they're not family", no you twonk but they're someone elses! :mad:

(And we'll have to agree to disagree re Cain JR *virtual handshake!*)

It was bloody fantastic to hear Chas doing that if could be the trigger i want to see! My frustration is Cain isnt doing that himself and as long as TPTB continue to do be like that with Cain his development as a character at this time is always going to be held back and this thing they are trying to show us that he is a good guy underneath isnt going to be believable!

If the day comes when Cain finally regrets all those terrible things he has done then that is the day when i'll begin to take Cain seriously as a character!

And i'll shake your hand to lotty i doubt Cain will be the last character we have separate views on but that's the power of debate two sides coming together! :)
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree, Lacey was one of the reasons I stopped watching EE, and absolutely dreadful actress, as is the pregnant one behind the bar in the Rovers.

I am not concentrating too much on ED now because the s/l's are either going round in circles (Katie and Declan) or completely ridiculous (Debbie the drug baroness). Lucy does gurn quite a bit, but so does Berenice and Charity and Betty. But none of those have moved me as much as last Friday's closing scenes with Chas and Cain. They were superb.
    Forum Member
    Don't you think, though, that Amandal donohoe's character was a completely different type.
    I have to disagree with you on that Musty!
    I have to agree with you Musty.
    Rossy22 wrote: »
    Amanda Donohoe was AWFUL.
    The best threads always have a wide range of opinions, as the above quotes show :) Despite all the praise that came in for Hordley and Pargeter, I still find their acting wooden and over the top. Too many facial expressions for my liking.
    Forum Member
    You've never gotten over 'Me Dress!' have you Musty? :D
    True Lotty. As an all-time low it equals Paddy and Viv getting it on in the shop and the show home explosion.
  • Gwen_PYCGwen_PYC Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    And May I say thank god for Jacob (Who would have thought anyone would be saying this) but he was great last night.

Agreed. Jacob was quite wonderful. I love his relationship with David so I am glad that things are better them now.
    A great 2 cents it is! Yes our Alicia was described as 'feisty' i.e. gobby even before she appeared and certainly lived up to it!

To me she has come into her own since Leyla left, before that she just seemed totally jealous and insecure especially in relation to being Jay-cub's mum. But when Leyla left and her and David started bonding she's come on in leaps and bounds. She's one of my favourite characters now.

Oh and Alicia is showing real strength of character, dignity and class lately. The kind of strength, dignity, composure and class that the likes of Debbie (who thinks she's all of that) can only dream about :cool:
    So true. I have come to quite love our Alicia. She has a heart of gold and is steady as a rock. She is the only one who came out of the Andy/Debbie debacle with any dignity. I want Alicia to be happy and she will be with David eventually.
    He's pretty but there's not much going on in his head is there, lol!

His heart's in the right place though which is why he gets himself into so much trouble, he just doesn't like hurting/upsetting people.
    Yep, our David isn't the brightest tool in the box, but is very pretty and means well. I think once he stops to think about things that he will extricate himself from this engagement to Priya. Even Eric is getting a clue that David's heart is not in the marriage.

David and Alica belong together with Jacob.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gwen_PYC wrote: »
    Agreed. Jacob was quite wonderful. I love his relationship with David so I am glad that things are better them now.

So true. I have come to quite love our Alicia. She has a heart of gold and is steady as a rock. She is the only one who came out of the Andy/Debbie debacle with any dignity. I want Alicia to be happy and she will be with David eventually.

Yep, our David isn't the brightest tool in the box, but is very pretty and means well. I think once he stops to think about things that he will extricate himself from this engagement to Priya. Even Eric is getting a clue that David's heart is not in the marriage.

David and Alica belong together with Jacob.
    easier said than done
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    easier said than done

:D:D:D
    never a truer word spoken!
This discussion has been closed.