I wish my eggs wouldn't go hard and brown when I fry them....any tips?

feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Very rarely can I make the perfect fried egg.
Most of the time the white bits go brown and hard. Not nice.
Any tips for making the perfect fried egg?

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    break it into hot fat and then turn it down to a gentle sizzle.

or just cut the brown bits off.
  • psychedelicpsychedelic Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have the pan on too high a heat. A medium heat should be fine all the way through.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spoon the hot fat over the top so it cooks quicker
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Err turn the heat down obviously
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What annette kutern said. Start off hot then switch it away down and cook the top at the same time by spooning the oil over the white, use a good non stick pan too.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i cant add anymore than has already been said!... you are cooking them too fast............................. slow down.......;)
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stand aside everyone, I am the uber master of fried eggs!!:D

1. Fry your eggs in margarine. Not butter, not oil. Margarine. I personally use Flora healthy heart.

2. Once the marg is melted, add the egg and turn the heat down to low. This is key. If you fry it too quick, it will bubble, pop and go crispy/brown underneath.

3. When you've turned it down low, put a lid on your saucepan. This will help to cook the top of the egg white. Otherwise you'll end up with a sloppy top and you'll be tempted to turn up the heat and will then get your crispy brown bits!

4. Keep regularly checking the egg by removing the lid. There's a fine line between a nicely cooked egg and an over cooked, hard yolk!

Good luck! The key is being patient, cooking on low and using a lid!
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stand aside everyone, I am the uber master of fried eggs!!:D!
    Not so hughj as all that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't fry anything

Edit: Frying in nasty marg? I no longer love you Mr jboobs.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

1. Fry your eggs in margarine. Not butter, not oil. Margarine. I personally use Flora healthy heart.

2. Once the marg is melted, add the egg and turn the heat down to low. This is key. If you fry it too quick, it will bubble, pop and go crispy/brown underneath.

3. When you've turned it down low, put a lid on your saucepan. This will help to cook the top of the egg white. Otherwise you'll end up with a sloppy top and you'll be tempted to turn up the heat and will then get your crispy brown bits!

4. Keep regularly checking the egg by removing the lid. There's a fine line between a nicely cooked egg and an over cooked, hard yolk!

Good luck! The key is being patient, cooking on low and using a lid!

revolting. lard for the win:o:o:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frying in nasty marg? I no longer love you Mr jboobs.

:cry:

Trust me, you'd love my fried eggs. They are perfect.
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,288
    Forum Member
    Yep! Sounds like you're trying to cook them too quickly.

Less heat and fry for longer. I assume you baste them anyway but leave that until the egg is getting near the end of cooking time.
  • RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awwh, the brown crispy bits are the tastiest bits though :o
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just fry them in whale fat. If it doesn't get the job done, Greenpeace will come along and do it for you right.
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,288
    Forum Member
    Just fry them in whale fat. If it doesn't get the job done, Greenpeace will come along and do it for you right.

Not recommended. He'll only start blubbering!!
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heat the pan with a tiny amount of olive oil then add the egg and turn the heat down as low as it will go then cook it with a lid on.

Egg is cooked soft and white without any crusty brown bits.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To echo what been said. Browning happens because the oil is to hot or because you cook the egg for too long. The oil needs to be pre-heated so the egg starts cooking as soon as it hits the pan but you only want it at a medium heat. Basting or a saucepan lid over helps cook the top at the same time as the bottom and again reduces the amount of total time to cook and risk of browning.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I use a mix of butter and olive oil. Combine them and then wallop the egg in. Fry on a medium heat until done. No crispy bits :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    Very rarely can I make the perfect fried egg.
    Most of the time the white bits go brown and hard. Not nice.
    Any tips for making the perfect fried egg?

Simple simple simple. Put a lid over them! job done!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was a thread about I.V.F.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use lard. Excellent stuff for frying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poach them.

Then add a toasted muffin, ham and hollandaise sauce and have yourself Eggs Benedict.

Bloody lovely!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

!

That's not a good idea or good advice.

Margarine, especially light versions are not generally suitable or recommended for frying, or so I have been advised.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to the OP for starting this thread, now I know why my fried eggs aren't coming out well. I need to remember to turn the heat down and use a lid! Might try this later and report back.

I've only just started doing omelettes (I'm just not the most competent cook in the world), should they be done on a low to medium heat. Hubby likes cheese and onion on his, when am I supposed to add these? I do have a sister who's a Home Economics teacher (or whatever they are called today) but I'm too embarrassed to admit that I can't get fried eggs and omelettes right!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not a good idea or good advice.

Margarine, especially light versions are not generally suitable or recommended for frying.

From personal experience, what you've just said there is not true. I get perfect results when frying in margarine. Way better than any type of oil I've tried, or butter.

I'd be fascinated if you would expand on your statement that margarine "isn't suitable" for frying. What happens if you fry with it?:confused: The pan catches fire? The egg refuses to cook? Gordon Ramsay gets annoyed with you? What?