International Cricket 2013

dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,984
Forum Member
✭✭
Thought I'd start the new 2013 thread.

Happy New Year everyone

Watched a bit of the Australia / Sri Lanka game this morning
It was nice to see the Sri Lankan team give Mike Hussey a guard of honour as he came out to bat

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Are we going to transfer to this thread now ?

After a decent start Sri Lanka have fallen away . Looks like another easy win for the Aussies.

Very surprised about the cold weather in India, it's warmer over here at the moment !
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    http://mastinetwork.com/1741/dharamshala-cricket-ground-in-winter-ground-freezing.html
    snowy Dharamshala
    Small ground for indian standards, only 20,000, should be packed for the ODI.
    David to be fair you need to be specific only north India would be cold, at this time of the year, it feels more colder in India then it would be in the UK, the huge temperature drop during the days and evenings and then the fact most of the houses are covered in marble and most of them are designed to lose heat instead of retain heat.
    Contrast this to Chennai where it is very hot.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    http://mastinetwork.com/1741/dharamshala-cricket-ground-in-winter-ground-freezing.html
    snowy Dharamshala
    David to be fair you need to be specific only north India would be cold, at this time of the year, it feels more colder in India then it would be in the UK, the huge temperature drop during the days and evenings and then the fact most of the houses are covered in marble and most of them are designed to lose heat instead of retain heat.

Thanks for that, it will be a novelty to watch cricket there.

Dhoni is doubtful for tomorrow's ODI with a sore back, Dinesh Khartik called up as cover.
    Forum Member
    snowy Dharamshala

Good pictures Bhav, but I thought it was only the likes of the Nawab of Pataudi who lived in marble palaces. I have no idea which part of India he came from though I don't know how he managed living in Brighton without 100 servants:D
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Cook for England's warm up game against India A who are 98/0 in 19 overs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    India's top order failed again against the pace of Irfan and Junaid
    38/3 with Rahane, Gambhir and Kohli back in the hutch
    Forum Member
    this would be india first whitewash in odi in india since 1983-84 when the west indies wanted revenge for the world cup final loss.
    also the very odd stat of having no scores of 300, hasn't happen since 2007, all series involving india has contained a score of 300 since then.
    LOL india A are playing better then the india team.
    be interesting to see the India squad after this game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They just showed a section of the crowd with guest dignitaries including former players.
    Hanif Mohammed was there. Didn't realise that he was born in India
    Forum Member
    LOL India A are doing better then the Senior Team.
    england 64/5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Switched channels at the end of the India innings to watch some Big Bash stuff
    Shane Warne having a right go at Marlon Samuels. They forgot to turn the microphones off and you could hear Warne right in Samuels face telling him to F*** O*
    Warne then hit Samuels with a soft throw to which Samuels threw his bat in Warnes direction.
    Samuels just hit him for 4
    Hope Warne gets him out and sends him on his way...

Samuels has just retired hurt after edging a short pitched Malinga delivery into his face . Seemed to hit him above the grill

Its more intense than a Test match this game...
    Forum Member
    Looks like an embarrassing defeat for England , thank goodness this is just a warm up game. What they need a match refereee in a game like this is beyond me , but he is called Kaypee, possibly one of Kevin's old relatives .

The India Pakistan game might get interesting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Looks like an embarrassing defeat for England , thank goodness this is just a warm up game. What they need a match refereee in a game like this is beyond me , but he is called Kaypee, possibly one of Kevin's old relatives .

The India Pakistan game might get interesting

I wouldn't read too much into it as any game reduced to 39 overs a side due to fog is bound to have an element of farce attached to it. There's something enjoyable about watching a low scoring ODI and watching batsmen have to knuckle down and play correctly.
    Forum Member
    Yes India What a Win.
    Shami Ahmed looks a Good prospect alongside Bhuveshnar Kumar.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good job we're only playing India and not India A in the upcoming series.................:D
  • Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    What a great finish to the match. Pakistan seemed a bit complacent seeming to want to pace the runs over the full 50 overs rather than get ahead of the rate early on. I love the low scoring matches with lots of wickets falling as they are usually more exciting than the high scoring ones.
    Forum Member
    Sehwag Has been Dropped from the ODI squad against England, Pujara Getting a Called up.
    The squad is named for the first 3 ODI, so they clearly giving the likes of Gambhir and yuvraj one more chance, Kohli, Raina and Dhoni were always going to be safe since they have been performing well in this format and one poor series for them doesn't change anything.
    Look like this will be Gambhir last chance to get runs, if he fails, he will probably be out for all formats.
    Don't think Sehwag will ever play international cricket again for india.

MS Dhoni (capt.), Cheteshwar Pujara, Gautam Gambhir, Virat Kohli, Yuvraj Singh, Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Ishant Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane, Ashok Dinda, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Shami Ahmed, Amit Mishra
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sehwag Has been Dropped from the ODI squad against England, Pujara Getting a Called up.
    The squad is named for the first 3 ODI, so they clearly giving the likes of Gambhir and yuvraj one more chance, Kohli, Raina and Dhoni were always going to be safe since they have been performing well in this format and one poor series for them doesn't change anything.
    Look like this will be Gambhir last chance to get runs, if he fails, he will probably be out for all formats.
    Don't think Sehwag will ever play international cricket again for india.

MS Dhoni (capt.), Cheteshwar Pujara, Gautam Gambhir, Virat Kohli, Yuvraj Singh, Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Ishant Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane, Ashok Dinda, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Shami Ahmed, Amit Mishra

Pujara is an interesting selection who will need to adapt his game. Good win today defending a small total, Indian weather is very strange at the moment making for unusually low scoring games.

I note the fielding restrictions are changing this week too in that only 4 fielders will be allowed outside of the circle during the non powerplay overs. The bowling powerplay will also go so we have the automatic 10 overs at the start and another which has to be used by the 40th over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shane Warne has been banned for his part in the incident involving Marlon Sanuels
    Samuels' hearing has not yet taken place due to the injury he received

http://www.espncricinfo.com/big-bash-league-2012/content/current/story/599977.html
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Shane Warne has been banned for his part in the incident involving Marlon Sanuels
    Samuels' hearing has not yet taken place due to the injury he received

http://www.espncricinfo.com/big-bash-league-2012/content/current/story/599977.html

Whoever the Melbourne Stars are playing will be gutted - that's the guaranteed 40+ runs off Warnie's overs they'll have to find somewhere else! :)

Can't wait to hear Shane's version of this one - just a bit of 'banter' from his point of view no doubt!
    Forum Member
    Interesting idea from Simon Barnes in the Times about how to improve over rates. He suggest that if a team fails to bowl 30 overs in a two hour period they lose a DRS challenge. Sounds good in principle , but not sure if teams will agree to it .

Neil Adcock the former South African pace bowler has died aged 81. A very quick bowler , he was one of Wisden's cricketers of the year in 1961 , having taken 26 wickets againsr England the previous year .
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Interesting idea from Simon Barnes in the Times about how to improve over rates. He suggest that if a team fails to bowl 30 overs in a two hour period they lose a DRS challenge. Sounds good in principle , but not sure if teams will agree to it .

Neil Adcock the former South African pace bowler has died aged 81. A very quick bowler , he was one of Wisden's cricketers of the year in 1961 , having taken 26 wickets againsr England the previous year .

Not sure it would work. It seems the biggest culprits are India for slow over rates. Yet they dont use DRS. Dhoni was signalling for a review in the 1st ODI against Pakistan. :D Billy ignored him the first time, when Dhoni did it again he just laughed at him. You would think the captain would know that they dont use DRS.
    Forum Member
    From the previous thread....

I wouldn't Drop Yuvraj for the england series, but he is one of the players with the question mark though, especially with Jadeja in good form with the ball, his role as the a 5th bowlers is not needed now, but yuvraj is still a good batsman to have at 5 or 6.

And why would india drop Kohli, Gambhir and Raina from the team when they all have good records in the ODI format, and Kohli was the highest runs scorer for india, for 2 years in a row, he averages 50+, in the format, one bad series doesn't mean he should be dropped.

india needs to find the balance of keeping the same players and also dropping the players not performing, if you are gonna drop players after one bad series, then india will go no where, they made a good decision of dropping one senior player and the all the players know that India has to start winning and the players needs to perform or they will be dropped during the series, the squad is only named for the first 3 ODIS, so if india loses the series or the players are still not performing, they will be dropped.

Also you got to remember this was yuvraj singh first 3 ODi since his return from cancer, so it is likely india will give him some time to recover his form, especially with him being a vital member of the side.

the only player That is got a big question mark of their place it is Gambhir ?

Also we should continue this discussion on the new thread.

I didnt say drop Kholi, Ghambir and Raina. I said drop Yuvraj (and Sehwag, who seems to have been dropped anyway). The rest I would keep the same. I said Raina and Dhoni were the only two basman who were in any form. I merely pointed out the Sehwag, Ghambir, Kholi and Yuvraj all had a very bad series. Kholis average has dropped below 50.

I think the cancer has took a toll on Yuvraj, he isnt the player he used to be. I think its time he hung up his boots, and give the younger players a chance. He didnt perform against England or Pakistan. Cant see him doing much against England either.

My starting 11 would be Ghambir, Rahane, Pujara, Kholi, Dhoni, Raina, Jadeja, Kumar, Ashwin, Shami, Dinda For me Dhoni bats too low, he needs to move a place or two.
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    Not sure it would work. It seems the biggest culprits are India for slow over rates. Yet they dont use DRS. Dhoni was signalling for a review in the 1st ODI against Pakistan. :D Billy ignored him the first time, when Dhoni did it again he just laughed at him. You would think the captain would know that they dont use DRS.

Another problem would be that batting sides might try to slow the over rate down. You would then get the match referee involved. It might cause more problems than it was meant to solve .To me umpires taking players off for bad light is much worse
    Forum Member
    ACU I think you read the Dhoni DRS situation wrong, Most people in twitter and Forums saw it has a joke and they actually liked it since it seemed that Dhoni Wanted the DRS, and english journalist on twitter, were also saying during the test series that their is a big chance that Dhoni and BCCI, have changed their views on the DRS.
    But don't get your hopes up yet, we may see a political battle, with the cost, pricing and what technology being used still being a massive stumbling block.
    I don't really mind BCCI being reluctant on using the DRS, it is actually making the system better. ICC were very quick to get it started with out actually setting it up correctly.
    ICC will have to Pay the entire cost or get sponsorship.
    ICC will have to make sure all series has the same technology being used, currently all series use different technology or different cameras and different systems.
    People are forgetting that Sri lanka and pakistan, have had series with no DRS because their boards can't afford it, Pakistan even lost the series against sri lanka because of poor decisions, and both teams were not happy, that DRS wasn't used in the series.
    SKY Boys always forget this when they Bash india for not having DRS, they always forget about Sri Lanka and Pakistan, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, of course all these games are not live in Sky, so they pretend those games don't exist.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-pakistan-2012/content/story/570022.html

"Hafeez's views were the same as those expressed by his coach Dav Whatmore, who had criticised the selective implementation of technology. Sri Lanka Cricket was unable to use DRS against Pakistan because of the costs involved, but Hafeez said it was time the ICC put its foot down."

ICC should really pay for the DRS and make sure all the DRS is the same, the DRS used in Pakistan and Sri lanka is not the same as the ones uses in england and australia.
    Forum Member
    Another problem would be that batting sides might try to slow the over rate down. You would then get the match referee involved. It might cause more problems than it was meant to solve .To me umpires taking players off for bad light is much worse

I think the current system where the captain gets banned for one match is not brilliant either. As the one match ban maybe against another team, and not against the team where the offence took place.

I have thought about deducting runs from a team, however that doesnt work either. The current system is about the best compromise there is.
This discussion has been closed.