Real risk of downloading apps?

PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was reading a post in this forum about a guy who's browser kept redirecting him to spam sites & it made me wonder if it's safe to download stuff from Google play?

I even read that some angry birds games were infected & I thought that was a massive title & would be safe but evidently not.

If you have anti virus/malware software on your Android phone, please could you list what you use & if it's ever flagged up an infection.

Doesn't Google check apps for malware?

Comments

• lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the Sophos app, it automatically scans apps after download, not just for viruses but if the app has permissions it might deem as dodgy. (a game that wants to send texts etc).
    Here is a good article from the Sophos team. http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/01/10/a-chink-in-android-armour/
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I was reading a post in this forum about a guy who's browser kept redirecting him to spam sites & it made me wonder if it's safe to download stuff from Google play?

I even read that some angry birds games were infected & I thought that was a massive title & would be safe but evidently not.

If you have anti virus/malware software on your Android phone, please could you list what you use & if it's ever flagged up an infection.

Doesn't Google check apps for malware?

It wasn't a virus or malware though. My sisters ipad was doing it as well.

What you read was Angry birds downloaded from an outside source and NOT from google play.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using smartphones for 5/6 years and I've never felt the need to get an antivirus. Phones don't need them
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    I've been using smartphones for 5/6 years and I've never felt the need to get an antivirus. Phones don't need them

Although I'd agree at the moment they don't but I can see a time when they will do.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just look at the reputation and recent comments of apps and also look at the permissions they want before installing them.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Android, Google will tell you all the permissions the app is entitled to, along with an option to scan the package before installation. Installation from sources other than the Play Store are blocked by default, so if you have unchecked that and downloading apps freely from anywhere on the internet then you are accepting the risk as with anything.

It's best just to stick to the Play Store as unless you are downloading those dodgy looking apps, it's pretty safe and gives you a lot of information before installation.
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    On Android, Google will tell you all the permissions the app is entitled to, along with an option to scan the package before installation. Installation from sources other than the Play Store are blocked by default, so if you have unchecked that and downloading apps freely from anywhere on the internet then you are accepting the risk as with anything.

It's best just to stick to the Play Store as unless you are downloading those dodgy looking apps, it's pretty safe and gives you a lot of information before installation.

Amazon App Store would be fine as well
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Amazon App Store would be fine as well

I get stuff from there, because they have a daily free app that costs stuff on the main play store.

I just wish Android had a temporary setting for installing from unknown sources!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    I get stuff from there, because they have a daily free app that costs stuff on the main play store.

I just wish Android had a temporary setting for installing from unknown sources!!!!!!

Yeah, that would be good - and that's why I have it on my phone to get the freebies!
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise that that's where the infected Angry Birds was, I only ever download from the play store as well.

Thanks for your answers I won't bother with AV.