The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hope ITV now go ott with Splash series 2, a 10 week run at 2.5hrs a night. And then the Beeb absolutely pulverise it with something half decent.

Cue BBC contacting Hammonds agent to see if he's free next January...
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great for rugby it was very entertaining. Pointless did very well.

Well done to ITV and splash. It's a keeper! I bet there happy with that.

Britain's Brightest will not be back next year. They may revamp it and try it again but it would have to be very different.

Ken
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emma Willis tells The Sun she is to co-present a new ITV prime-time game show Prize Island with Alexander Armstrong starting in the spring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent for the Pointless repeat. Wonder if it did better than on its first showing??

Last night's show was originally shown in daytime in July 2011. So the answer to your question is definitely yes.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Emma Willis tells The Sun she is to co-present a new ITV prime-time game show Prize Island with Alexander Armstrong starting in the spring.

The Sun is about 6 months late with this "news."

Anything for Law & Order night on C5, please? Mostly interested in SVU at 9.40pm and Criminal Intent at 10.40pm. Thanks in advance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T Penery wrote: »
    Last night's show was originally shown in daytime in July 2011. So the answer to your question is definitely yes.

That's a good point. They have several daytime celeb editions they could repeat and get away with. No need next weekend though.

25.8% All day share yesterday for BBC One. That's what a bit of top quality sport can do.

Ken
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,143
    Forum Member
    What was the share for the peak for the rugby?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    That's a good point. They have several daytime celeb editions they could repeat and get away with. No need next weekend though.

25.8% All day share yesterday for BBC One. That's what a bit of top quality sport can do.

Ken

They used up their last two celebrity specials over Christmas and they're not recording any news of either version, daytime or celebrities until early March. Then again the regular viewer won't notice. I think the next space will be 16th February,
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ken

Yes if they get the FA Cup back they could really dominate weekend share in this quarter.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T Penery wrote: »
    They used up their last two celebrity specials over Christmas and they're not recording any news of either version, daytime or celebrities until early March. Then again the regular viewer won't notice. I think the next space will be 16th February,

Useful to have those distant celeb ones, but maybe they should always keep a few new celeb specials in hand for whatever early evening disaster appears next January :D
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    BBC should show new episodes of Pointless Celebrities next January at 7pm, it would get 6million viewers and probably would make sure Splash loses a lot of viewers.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,143
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    BBC should show new episodes of Pointless Celebrities next January at 7pm, it would get 6million viewers and probably would make sure Splash loses a lot of viewers.

I thought you were behind ITV's programming :confused:
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I doubt it. Pointless Celebrities is a good show but it isn't 6 million material, and with its old audience it would not dent Splash.

Remember Splash has been airing against Britain's Brightest and In It To Win It, which are old skewing game shows that have been getting 4-5 million viewers. I suspect Pointless Celebrities would be in that sort of range (as it was last night against easier competition than Splash).

Splash ended on a good note last night. I think people have been a tad harsh about it. It hasn't aired against no competition - it has had 4-5m competition every week. Splash never aired against the likes of Secret Service so I don't know where that has come from. I suspect a few people are somewhat bitter about its success.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    I doubt it. Pointless Celebrities is a good show but it isn't 6 million material, and with its old audience it would not dent Splash.

Remember Splash has been airing against Britain's Brightest and In It To Win It, which are old skewing game shows that have been getting 4-5 million viewers. I suspect Pointless Celebrities would be in that sort of range (as it was last night against easier competition than Splash).

Splash ended on a good note last night. I think people have been a tad harsh about it. It hasn't aired against no competition - it has had 4-5m competition every week. Splash never aired against the likes of Secret Service so I don't know where that has come from. I suspect a few people are somewhat bitter about its success.
    True that Britains Brightest isnt as bad as Secret Service or Animal antics. But it was only getting 4milion-ish most weeks which is not good for bbc standards. There is a chance that next January, BBC will show something like Doctor Who or maybe a new show like the Magicians or So you think you can dance, both of which were popular in their first series. If that happens, there is a big chance Splash will lose viewers. A lot of people stuck with Splash this series because theyd already watched the first episode and it was only 5 episodes long so they just stuck with it almost by default. Next series people might decide not to even give the show a chance when it faces more appealing competition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link (in French): http://www.ozap.com/actu/audiences-retour-en-fanfare-pour-the-voice-m6-et-france-2-faibles/445356

For those interested, the French edition of The Voice drew massive ratings for TF1. The second season premiere attracted 9.344m with a 40.7% share! Last year's premiere had 9.124m with 37.9%.
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    And Pointless shows up Secret Service as the pitiful TV disaster that it is**. But the BBC should have known that from the reaction to Fool Britannia last autumn.

Pointless didn't seem to help Britain's Brightest. Don't think Brightest deserves a second series.

**come to that, so did the News.

Have I missed somthing what was brightest brightest rating I can't c it on here thanks
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    True that Britains Brightest isnt as bad as Secret Service or Animal antics. But it was only getting 4milion-ish most weeks which is not good for bbc standards. There is a chance that next January, BBC will show something like Doctor Who or maybe a new show like the Magicians or So you think you can dance, both of which were popular in their first series. If that happens, there is a big chance Splash will lose viewers. A lot of people stuck with Splash this series because theyd already watched the first episode and it was only 5 episodes long so they just stuck with it almost by default. Next series people might decide not to even give the show a chance when it faces more appealing competition.

Indeed - Splash has had good rather than stratospheric ratings, and has held on to its audience, but I think much of that is due to the rather mundane competition from BBC1 plus the Olympics still being reasonably fresh in the public's memory. Next year, if the BBC get their act together, it might be a different story and the viewers may see the show for what is (essentially Z listers jumping into a pool).
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have I missed somthing what was brightest brightest rating I can't c it on here thanks

Here's the DS report on yesterday's ratings.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s214/splash/news/a455904/splash-final-most-watched-saturday-night-show.html

Brightest got 4.34m up on 3.81m last week. Although last week the first 15 minutes were way down on the final hour due to the pitiful lead-in from Secret Service so take out that 15 minutes and it's probably fairly level week-on-week.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Score wrote: »

I disagree and agree.

I think it would get 6 million against Splash but Splash could still have got 5m. We are talking about January. The Saturday night ratings should be much higher than they are. The only programme which has not been underperforming these last few weeks is Mrs Brown
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree and agree.

I think it would get 6 million against Splash but Splash could still have got 5m. We are talking about January. The Saturday night ratings should be much higher than they are. The only programme which has not been underperforming these last few weeks is Mrs Brown

Saturdays on January have never been the best because of disruptions due to sport. If the BBC got it's act together and maybe started a half decent LE show and maybe a new 6 part family drama they could dominate.

Casualty and In it To win it are way down on were they were but they still pull in relatively good audiences. I mentioned family drama. I think January are crying out for a new one. Playing doctor who in on January would work but it would leave them nothing when it comes to march.

Ken
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Yes if they get the FA Cup back they could really dominate weekend share in this quarter.

That's true. I would love the BBC to get it back but I just don't think they have the money. I think they want it back but money is the issue. But without sport BBC One Saturday and Sundays are bare and the all day shares really take a hit.

Ken
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    What was the share for the peak for the rugby?

6.8 million, which shows this game is a vital asset to the BBC, though I'm sure ITV would love this contract for the ABC1 demos.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    I disagree and agree.

This,
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    I notice Perfection is moved back to 15:15 tomorrow, getting it out of the way of Tipping Point. Repeats of Only Fools double bills take the 14:15 slot on BBC One occupied in the last four weeks by new drama.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's true. I would love the BBC to get it back but I just don't think they have the money. I think they want it back but money is the issue. But without sport BBC One Saturday and Sundays are bare and the all day shares really take a hit.

Ken

I would have thought the previous deal they had with Sky for the FA Cup would be eminently feasible, it's a myth the BBC has no money.There are suggestions that ITV would not be heartbroken if they lost it next time round. Somehow the FA Cup has always been seen as a ''BBC event.''
This discussion has been closed.