Options

People who want to live in the UK should be forced to learn English

2»

Comments

• Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Why when most Brits don't even care about that

So very true, it's downright depressing when you find that an immigrant or even just visitor to the country has a better vocabulary, is more articulate, and has better pronunciation than a lot of the native English speakers (either because the natives are can't be bothered to speak clearly, or don't.

It's even more depressing when you find out English is their third or forth language.

the odd thing is though, that a lot of the people that hold this belief that anyone who lives in the UK should speak English, are often the same sort of people that will move abroad (to Spain or wherever), and then live in a little enclave of English ex-pats, often with no intention of learning the native language of their new country.
  • Options
    Gordon ClownGordon Clown Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because I have family commitments otherwise I world have

The USA wouldn't let you in unless you had family who were US citizens or had a full time job.

It's not like the UK where you can just turn up and claim free benefits.
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be so sure. There's whole suburbs of Bradford who don't speak English.

Yep, they tend to be the bits English people live in.

There are whole swathes of members on DS who don't speak (or write) English properly - why not focus your energies on them ;)
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Nilrem wrote: »
    So very true, it's downright depressing when you find that an immigrant or even just visitor to the country has a better vocabulary, is more articulate, and has better pronunciation than a lot of the native English speakers (either because the natives are can't be bothered to speak clearly, or don't.

It's even more depressing when you find out English is their third or forth language.

the odd thing is though, that a lot of the people that hold this belief that anyone who lives in the UK should speak English, are often the same sort of people that will move abroad (to Spain or wherever), and then live in a little enclave of English ex-pats, often with no intention of learning the native language of their new country.

There was this interview with a EDL member on the news and it went something like this

"I don't like think these like foreigners should like come over here like it just ain't rate like and like they don't like even speak like propper England (not a typo) like do um like"
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    The USA wouldn't let you in unless you had family who were US citizens or had a full time job.

Which England is this the fantasy one the ELD and BNP mob think it is

The fact you think it's that easy makes your statements pointless
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    There was this interview with a EDL member on the news and it went something like this

"I don't like think these like foreigners should like come over here like it just ain't rate like and like they don't like even speak like propper England (not a typo) like do um like"

That does not surprise me at all from my encounters with the EDL etc online, it does seem to attract a certain type of person, often I suspect the same type that at one point would have been beating the living **** out of someone for wearing a different teams football shirt, before the clubs and police started to really crack down on it.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be so sure. There's whole suburbs of Bradford who don't speak English.

No, there really aren't. I lived in Bradford for 6 years. The closest thing to what you describe is perhaps the odd elderly grandparent (and that families may not choose to speak English at home, just like a British family probably wouldn't speak Spanish at home in Spain).

You're mistaking "whole suburbs that don't speak English" for "whole suburbs that are multilingual".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remove all translation facilities on benefit claim forms.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you work for the Daily Mail?
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drdaws wrote: »
    Remove all translation facilities on benefit claim forms.

Yet you'd no doubt be the first to complain when forced to fill out an insurance claim in Spain in Spanish....
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Britain is irrelevant. I do not think anybody should be allowed to move anywhere in the world without having made a concerted effort to learn the language to get by, day to day. I fancy many British expats in Spain would come a cropper there.

I'm quite strict on myself with this. I wouldn't ideally even go on holiday for a fortnight, to somewhere where I didn't have the language to get by.

On the occasions I have, I have made sure I have picked up a phrase book beforehand and learnt the basic, hello, goodbye, yes, no, thank you etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Yet you'd no doubt be the first to complain when forced to fill out an insurance claim in Spain in Spanish....

Yes, but I don't live in Spain.
  • Options
    PaulieboyPaulieboy Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    get rid of them keep england for the english
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol they don't come here to learn english.
    They come here for the jobs, the free houses, the benefits, the free healthcare and the education.

I'm not hating on them for doing that, if I were them I'd probably do the same thing, getting a better life for free, who wouldn't jump on that opportunity?
    But it is ruining England, it is, whether the government want to admit it or not, our crime rates have gone up, unemployment has gone up, our offical second language is now Polish ffs!
    My point is though it's perfectly understandable for them to want to come here, our country has been ruined by it.
    We should do what Australia do and only let those in that will contribute to the country, not just come and live off benefits for the whole time.
  • Options
    mandosomandoso Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Lol they don't come here to learn english.
    They come here for the jobs, the free houses, the benefits, the free healthcare and the education.

You forgot the free parrot and money tree for it to live in
  • Options
    skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    No, there really aren't. I lived in Bradford for 6 years. The closest thing to what you describe is perhaps the odd elderly grandparent (and that families may not choose to speak English at home, just like a British family probably wouldn't speak Spanish at home in Spain).

You're mistaking "whole suburbs that don't speak English" for "whole suburbs that are multilingual".

I'll endorse this, as someone who lives in Bradford and has worked in Manningham.
  • Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about "forced", but I do think it's just common courtesy to at least make an effort to learn the language of the country you live in. Even going on holiday, I try to learn the basics as I feel incredibly rude having to speak to people in English.
    Oh and you would be deported to somewhere hideous like Romania.

Lol, what's hideous about Romania? I've been there a few times, it's a beautiful country.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about "forced", but I do think it's just common courtesy to at least make an effort to learn the language of the country you live in. Even going on holiday, I try to learn the basics as I feel incredibly rude having to speak to people in English.

Lol, what's hideous about Romania? I've been there a few times, it's a beautiful country.

only if you like vampires
  • Options
    skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paulieboy wrote: »

I wish the people who think like this had to declare it wherever they go, so, no more curries, chinese takeaways, authentic pizzas, perhaps inferior medical care, not getting served in city centre pubs (aussie and kiwi bar staff) not allowed to eat veg picked by Poles, no taxis anywhere (here in Bradford anyway :D) etc.

Your life would be so much poorer without immigration.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would expect the same if Brits went to Spain- we should be forced to learn Spanish.

How on earth are foreigners trying to live in the UK supposed to integrate with British culture if they don't even speak basic English?

And if they don't want to learn British culture, why come and live here at all?
    They already are, anybody wanting a UK residence visa must show that they know English to a certain level then attend ESOL with citizenship courses if they wish to stay longer, it's not possible to be given indefinite leave to remain without doing so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's what Hitler wanted.

Germany for Germans
    France for French....and Germans
    England for English and Germans

We killed him anyway.
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member

Peter: Uh, excuse me, I'm Mel Gibson, here for the key to my specially reserved room.
    Desk Clerk: You're Mel Gibson?
    Peter: Yes, I've put on a few pounds for my next role. I play Peter Griffin, a heroic warrior who defied the English to free England from the English.
    Desk Clerk: Holy mackerel! Let me show you to your room, Mr. Gibson!
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every foreign person I know (and I know quite a few) speaks English perfectly. If there are any here that steadfastly refuse to learn a word of English they must be few and far between.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edited to add - I also think that languages should be treated much more seriously in British schools as well. Our children are at a disadvantage because they aren't taught a second language as intensely as elsewhere in the world.

Amen to that.

It really embarrasses me whenever an English person moans "His/her foreign accent is so distracting" while ignoring the fact he or she could speak English fluently. So embarrassing.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    That's what Hitler wanted.

Germany for Germans
    France for French....and Germans
    England for English and Germans

We killed him anyway.

He killed himself:cool: