Options

Is £20,000 a decent wage these days

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
Forum Member
I thought that £20,000 was in the 'fair to decent' category these days for semi-skilled work (engineering) however two agencies have told me that is wrong and I should aim for £30,000. One laughed at my 20k suggestion! To me that is too high and people these days don't give wages freely so there is some catch I feel. I have said I thought 20k was about right but they disagree.

Most advertised jobs are 16-21k 'depending on experience' so what is right? I can't believe there are high paying jobs just sitting about these days.:confused:

Comments

• Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're right to laugh. Sounds too high to me. The advertised jobs figure sounds reasonable for sem-skilled engineering to me. Put it this way - the average national wage is only about £23k.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £20000 is definiitely not a generous wage. The monthly take home pay would be around £1350, so not much left after you'd paid rent/mortgage, council tax and other bills.

I guess though it all depends on where you live. Around here you're looking at £1000 a month for a studio flat or one bed flat so it wouldn't really be enough to survive on unless you were sharing.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on age, experience & where you live in the UK
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's pretty much an entry level wage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love a job on 20,000 . Its a lot of money and would get a nice place up here .
    Sadly Im stuck on the Rock n Roll :cry:
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's £2K more than a typical entry-level salary in my profession. Location does count, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is more than I am on, but that is mainly because of the type of organisation I work for.

As other have said, 20K wouldn't be good enough in say London, but may be plenty in other areas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    I imagine it depends on age and experience - straight out of uni - that sounds grand - 20 odd years in and it would seem like a pittance
  • Options
    gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others say it depends on the area. I live in the south east and rent for a one bedroom flat is from £700 per month so a £20k salary wouldn't leave that much for bills etc. However, having said that there are not many jobs in this area at the moment on that salary, they are paying much less.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    I thought that £20,000 was in the 'fair to decent' category these days for semi-skilled work (engineering) however two agencies have told me that is wrong and I should aim for £30,000. One laughed at my 20k suggestion! To me that is too high and people these days don't give wages freely so there is some catch I feel. I have said I thought 20k was about right but they disagree.

Most advertised jobs are 16-21k 'depending on experience' so what is right? I can't believe there are high paying jobs just sitting about these days.:confused:

Yes, mine is :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20,000 sounds very low to me, but I'm in Central London.
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine it depends on age and experience - straight out of uni - that sounds grand - 20 odd years in and it would seem like a pittance

As others have mentioned, I think location is even more of a deciding factor. Being on 20K is all very well if your mortgage/rent is £500/month, it's not so much fun when you're paying double or triple that (i.e. London). I don't know how some people survive in this city.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like for like jobs now have to pay the same despite age, at least in theory, sine age wass added to equal pay laws. The way round that is what's being said here, ie entry level and graduate entry jobs. So long as it's genuinely different and linked to you developing as an employee it's perhaps fair enough.
  • Options
    LastlaughLastlaugh Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God you want to try being on £12000 something a year and then being told you have to agree a paycut or lose your job!!

20 grand sounds marvelous.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people I know at uni we're all targeting a £100k at some point in their career.
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not alot but the job I'm going for only pays 13k a year (it's a traineeship) so to have a 20k job for me would be EPIC!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I'm on just over £20k and work in admin. We're very lucky though - my husband earns a really good wage and we don't live in an expensive area.

There's a woman I work with who lives on her own and I know she struggles to make ends meet some months. I have every respect for people like that and would never take my job for granted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    I suppose it must depend on what type of engineer you are, as a friend of mine left uni last year and his starting salary is £40,000. That is not unusual among my friends- there are definitely high paying jobs around even for graduates!
  • Options
    ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was earning 14k a year in my job. Took home £1000 a month. That went on rent, bills, council tax and travel passes plus food. Had around £70 to £120 a month to play with!
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Afraid engineering skills are not suitably rewarded in the UK hence the reason why we've lost so many. There are exceptions such as McLaren where I imagine a skilled engineer with qualifications would earn serious money, but job vacancies in a place like that are few and the example is an extreme.

As others have said a lot is dependent on area but £20k pa is low. Unfortunately income levels are kept low by the increasing use of casual labour on a hire 'n fire basis.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    IIRC, the average wage in the UK is now around £25,000.
    That, of course, takes into account the hundreds of lawyers and exec's who're earning millions each year and the millions of people who're sweeping floors and flipping burgers for £10k a year.

Simple fact is that if you look at stuff like property prices, rents, mortgages, utility bills and taxes it's easy to see how the "average" family is likely to need to find at least £1,000 per month to keep a roof over their heads and the lights on so, that being the case, it's not outrageous that such people would expect to earn a wage that means that the majority of their income is not immediately consumed by expenses.

Sure, if you're a youngster living in a shared, rented, flat then you might be happy with £20k a year but we should bear in mind that's just one end of the proverbial "bell curve" and most people are in a different situation and, that being the case, they're likely to have higher expectations.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »

Why on earth would you disagree with the two agencies who want to get you £10,000 more than you were expecting? No offense but if you go into an interview with your current attitude, you will be leaving with a job that pays £20,000 (or less). Listen to the professionals and ask them why you are worth £30,000 so that when you go for interviews you can confidently ask for that much. You won't get it but you should be able to negotiate between £25,000 - £28,000.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what kind of 'engineering' the OP is referring to.

A telecoms engineer working for BT can expect a starting salary of £21k to around £25k, depending on experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth would you disagree with the two agencies who want to get you £10,000 more than you were expecting? No offense but if you go into an interview with your current attitude, you will be leaving with a job that pays £20,000 (or less). Listen to the professionals and ask them why you are worth £30,000 so that when you go for interviews you can confidently ask for that much. You won't get it but you should be able to negotiate between £25,000 - £28,000.

This is great advice.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    Not sure what kind of 'engineering' the OP is referring to.

A telecoms engineer working for BT can expect a starting salary of £21k to around £25k, depending on experience.

Sadly a lot of engineers only end up earning up to £40K-£50K at the top end. Which obviously is still pretty good and well above average wage, but when you consider it being one of the hardest degrees to study with the required A level grades to get into it being the amongst the highest, its quite low, in comparison to other careers with similar grades needed such as Law, Medicine or Dentistry.