2»

Comments

• Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zapod wrote: »
    This.

I actually discourage folk that approach me seeking iPad buying advice where the device is to replace (usually a broken) laptop.

Absolutely!

I have an iPad and a laptop. Has the iPad reduced the amount of time I use the laptop for casual browsing, games and the like? Yes, definitely. Are there still a lot of uses for my laptop that can't be serviced well by my iPad, indeed - photo editing is the main one I can think of.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm not a troll, nor am I trolling !
    I am very happy with my laptop.
    It's just that I am on a training course at the moment, and I - and everyone else on the course - is forced to use an ipad as part of the course, and I just thought I'd make a comment about how bad I think the ipad is !
    I hope this clears up any misunderstanding !:D
    I was under the impression that an ipad is supposed to replace our laptop, but how can it ??

Did you actually have to buy the iPad (or glowing tray as I call it) for the training course?
    psionic wrote: »
    Tablets (and even mobiles) do suffice for people with very basic computing needs. They aren't intended to replace laptops. They run mobile phone operating systems. Great for media consumption, enjoyment, and portability. But nowhere near as flexible as a computer with a full operating system and keyboard. Netbooks and ultrabooks are an option if you want portability but have more demanding computing needs, although they also sacrifice the DVD drive.

PS Not yet encountered any tablet without a headphone socket....

Agreed. There's nothing like a laptop or desktop for real work. Can you imagine trying to edit video in Final Cut Pro or edit in Photoshop on a tablet? I can't even imagine writing college assignments on one! The Surface Pro seems like a decent enough compromise though. In terms of functionality it's closer to the Macbook Air than the iPad as it runs a full desktop OS.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you actually have to buy the iPad (or glowing tray as I call it) for the training course?

Agreed. There's nothing like a laptop or desktop for real work. Can you imagine trying to edit video in Final Cut Pro or edit in Photoshop on a tablet? I can't even imagine writing college assignments on one! The Surface Pro seems like a decent enough compromise though. In terms of functionality it's closer to the Macbook Air than the iPad as it runs a full desktop OS.

No. We use it while we are there in the classroom, and hand it back when finished with it at the end of the lesson.
  • Options
    zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely!

I have an iPad and a laptop. Has the iPad reduced the amount of time I use the laptop for casual browsing, games and the like? Yes, definitely. Are there still a lot of uses for my laptop that can't be serviced well by my iPad, indeed - photo editing is the main one I can think of.

It's interesting - for touch up work, absolutely there are better ways than using a tablet, but I find for the sort of photo editing I find myself doing (the dreaded filter effects), apps like Snapseed are more than adequate and... dare I say it, fun to use.

What I'm driving at I think is that it's all very well to talk about case uses where skill and expertise is needed to get the best results (Photoshop), but for fun, instant gratification and quality results, apps on a tab can work.

It's very empowering for the average user.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, simple filter effects or basic cropping is easily done on a tablet, but detailing editing, pixel-popping, retouching is near-on impossible without the accurate pointer of a mouse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. We use it while we are there in the classroom, and hand it back when finished with it at the end of the lesson.

For certain work tasks - learning scenarios, or displaying information (e.g. sales people, estate agents) I think the iPad has definite use cases for professional people. The device is particularly effective when you're working to engage people with the content you're displaying - allowing a potential client to touch and interact with information immerses them in a subject much better than just showing info on a computer/laptop screen.
  • Options
    boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps you should try and borrow one and use it for a week,reckon you would soon change your mind.......:) It's not going to give you much idea of what an iPad is if you are using it for one specific thing and only now and again.....