We'll find you lol
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah. Oh well. As some bloke once said; "Time will tell. It always does."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think the fact Karen and Arthur have moved on to pastures new will have spurred him on to leave. It's different when the Doctor and Companions are different ages and at different career stages. But three actors of similar age who started together and got along so well... would one of the three (and the most prominent) really want to stay behind after the other two have gone or would he want to throw himself open to film offers etc. when he's young and high profile.

Better to end on a high after all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I just think the fact Karen and Arthur have moved on to pastures new will have spurred him on to leave. It's different when the Doctor and Companions are different ages and at different career stages. But three actors of similar age who started together and got along so well... would one of the three (and the most prominent) really want to stay behind after the other two have gone or would he want to throw himself open to film offers etc. when he's young and high profile.

Better to end on a high after all.

Worth considering Karen has settled in LA very well and Arthur is already on Broadway in NYC. Both have careers in America. Matt is only just going to do his first American job now. He's already fallen behind his two mates in the pecking order over there. If he leaves at Xmas he'll have time to catch up. If he stays then in America his face will only get typecast as Eleven more since that's the only thing they've seen him in this far.
  • scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Nikkiclody wrote: »
    Moffat has ruined DW and Matt just does not have the same impact as David had, David is a better actor and he had better episodes to work with.
    Kids just don't seem to enjoy the show now, it's all so dark and dreary and boring. Not one episode stands out.

Not one thing you have said is true. Do you often speak utter tripe? It's all your opinion not based on fact at all
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Has anyone actually read the radio times article?

I'd love to know if he actually said
    1) the whole of 2014
    2) the whole series in 2014
    3) just he'd be there in 2014

After all 1 could simply mean a single christmas episode or maybe four specials, and 3 could mean a regeneration in the first episode
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    Has anyone actually read the radio times article?

I'd love to know if he actually said
    1) the whole of 2014
    2) the whole series in 2014
    3) just he'd be there in 2014

After all 1 could simply mean a single christmas episode or maybe four specials, and 3 could mean a regeneration in the first episode

Matt didn't mention 2014 at all. He was referring to 2013.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    I've loved Matt, but I think I've detected a little bit less enthusiasm from him this series. (As I did with DT at times during the Specials). I daresay most people will disagree with me. :)

I've loved him, but I kinda agree. This season... I don't know whether it's the writing* or whether the show's schedule is just gruelling on the actors but he doesn't seem to have the same energy and drive as he had in previous years.

Definitely time for him to go on the 50th Anniversary Spesh.

*It probably is.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've loved Matt, but I think I've detected a little bit less enthusiasm from him this series. (As I did with DT at times during the Specials). I daresay most people will disagree with me. :)

Anyway, nice though it's been to have him, I personally feel that he will leave at Christmas.

I don't know anyone who knows anyone who knows someone who knows Matt, btw - it's just my own personal feeling.

And, if I'm honest, I'd like Moffat to go too, so we get a complete change of direction. Again, not many will agree.

But, if they both stay, I'll be happy with that.

I'm with Granny and am pinning it on the Christmas special...a dignified episode to bow out on!

In terms of MS clacklustreness (is that a word?) I think he bounced so well off Amy and Rory that he only seems like half the act, if you see what I mean! I think, as much as I loved them, Amy and Rory stayed too long and the show became partly about them too rather than just the Doctor!

Well, all imo anyway!
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I think Smith's been fine all year, his performances this season have eclipsed his sense of diminished energty from series six
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    scumcat wrote: »
    Not one thing you have said is true. Do you often speak utter tripe? It's all your opinion not based on fact at all

It's just an opinion and one shared by many.

However, the same was said about RTD's tenure.

It's only DW that polarises fans, though. It really is a bizarre little creature.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Karis wrote: »

But utlimately the "many" are a minority. More people enjoy the show and don't get into a tizwas about which showrunner or actor was better...those that do arent real fans and were just along for a specific era of the show and never properly adapted to the constant rule of change that the show enforces
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Karis wrote: »

However, the same was said about RTD's tenure.

It's only DW that polarises fans, though. It really is a bizarre little creature.

Certainly isn't just DW that polarises fans. Never been to the soaps forum? It's exactly the same there for any of the soaps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    But utlimately the "many" are a minority. More people enjoy the show and don't get into a tizwas about which showrunner or actor was better...those that do arent real fans and were just along for a specific era of the show and never properly adapted to the constant rule of change that the show enforces

Funniest thing I've read today, particularly BIB!

Maybe not showrunner so much, but actor, everyone has their favourite Doctor and many have their favourite Era, ALL of them are as much a fin as people who couldn't give a monkey's who plays the role and decides on the shows direction! Now those are the 'fans' who I don't get, fans who lack passion!
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Funniest thing I've read today, particularly BIB!

Maybe not showrunner so much, but actor, everyone has their favourite Doctor and many have their favourite Era, ALL of them are as much a fin as people who couldn't give a monkey's who plays the role and decides on the shows direction! Now those are the 'fans' who I don't get, fans who lack passion!

I think what that poster was saying was that if you were only ever interested in one specific era of the series and disregard the rest, it's not for you (given that it's all about constant change). So all those who only watched during Tennant's era and slate or show no interest in every other era aren't "true" fans of the show, they're just Tennant fans. Likewise for anyone else who is fixated on a specific actor's time in the role.

It's a fair point, and one I don't disagree with. However you raise some fair points yourself.
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want him to go :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think what that poster was saying was that if you were only ever interested in one specific era of the series and disregard the rest, it's not for you (given that it's all about constant change). So all those who only watched during Tennant's era and slate or show no interest in every other era aren't "true" fans of the show, they're just Tennant fans. Likewise for anyone else who is fixated on a specific actor's time in the role.

It's a fair point, and one I don't disagree with. However you raise some fair points yourself.

Thing is, from what I have read of the posters previous posts, I think this post was intended to be inflammatory!
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, it's weird. When series 4 concluded and we didn't know how much longer Tennant was planning to stay, I was apprehensive and sad at the thought of him leaving, but at the same time admitted to myself it was probably the right time. With the 4 specials to round off his era as well, I think it was the perfect time for 10 to bow out. Tennant had made such a huge mark, after all.

But now, with us not knowing if Smith is leaving or not... I hate the idea. I don't want him to go! He's my favourite Doctor of them all. It's like the part, 50 years old it may be, was written for him all along. And they've mucked about with the scheduling of his era so bloody much that I still don't feel we've seen enough of him, though that's a topic for another thread.

I agree with an above poster though. Smith leaving at Christmas and a new Doctor coming in would completely overshadow or be overshadowed by the 50th in November. Either way, this is not the right time to do it. Smith needs a final series of build up to it. Not an afterthought Christmas episode following the 50th, unless the 50th leads into the anniversary.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    lordo350 wrote: »
    You know, it's weird. When series 4 concluded and we didn't know how much longer Tennant was planning to stay, I was apprehensive and sad at the thought of him leaving, but at the same time admitted to myself it was probably the right time. With the 4 specials to round off his era as well, I think it was the perfect time for 10 to bow out. Tennant had made such a huge mark, after all.

But now, with us not knowing if Smith is leaving or not... I hate the idea. I don't want him to go! He's my favourite Doctor of them all. It's like the part, 50 years old it may be, was written for him all along. And they've mucked about with the scheduling of his era so bloody much that I still don't feel we've seen enough of him, though that's a topic for another thread.

I agree with an above poster though. Smith leaving at Christmas and a new Doctor coming in would completely overshadow or be overshadowed by the 50th in November. Either way, this is not the right time to do it. Smith needs a final series of build up to it. Not an afterthought Christmas episode following the 50th, unless the 50th leads into the anniversary.

Excellent post. I feel precisely the same way. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I hope he does series 8...I think it would make more sense, as mentioned I think the 50th would overshadow any new Doctor/actor coming in, and I also think Clara & Eleven need a little bit more time to find their feet, it would seem a bit rushed otherwise.... I don't know,its hard to put into words whats in my head...

...also, I have just started being a Doctor Who fan again (I dropped out around the end of series 5 & 6 and when I tried to catch up the storylines were a little confuzzling haha) and I love Matt Smith as the Doctor now.. :)
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C. Samurai wrote: »

I guess that's me then - I enjoyed the revamping of Dr Who with Christopher Ecclestion and David Tennant, but despite really liking Matt Smith, I haven't enjoyed the direction the show took after RTD left the helm. I watch things if I enjoy them, i never signed up to be a Dr Who fan until the end of time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    This whole topic is irritating, not because of the post per se but because the subject is now a media cliche a bit like, "This latest David Bowie album/Woody Allen movie is his best in years."

It's almost reached the point that when any senior figure joins Who, either in front of or behind the camera, the first question the media ask is: "Now that you've got the job, when are you leaving?"

There seems to be an almost orgiastic fervour with "who's coming and going" as if the mundane actuality of being in-progess is simply too boring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »

Spot on! I mean i liked Tennant...but i feel he came into hisown in series 4 and ultimately with the specials it felt like his time to\go as we couldnt reach a bigger peak for him...whereas as you say i feel Matt can still give so much more beyond the 50th too! I mean we have a new look with him and we have seen a new layer of darkness and emotion being spileld out recently i think it will play out very well for him to be on for series 8....he deserves a full final series to himself with a fully rounded series arc to summarise his era...he deserves that...not film the Xmas special and then be off...he doesnt deserve that at all!
  • SamsterSamster Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    In The Metro today in their "Green Room"; Matt says "It is tough leaving Doctor Who..." not 'it will be tough'. It sounded very imminent the way it was worded :(

http://e-edition.metro.co.uk/2013/05/08/

(pp 10&11)