Re-imaging Doctor Who

MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
Forum Member
✭✭
Re-imaging Doctor Who

If the BBC ran out of modern Doctor who's could they start again at the beginning and re-image the old series all over again, with modern effects and re-shoot lost episodes?

Comments

• bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can't reshoot lost episodes because some of the actors in those episodes are dead. It wouldn't be the same without William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton. They could broadcast missing episodes on the radio because we have the soundtrack for every single episode. Also modern effects is expensive and it is not worth the cost because I doubt the BBC will gain more viewers to classic doctor who by adding modern effects.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean 'run out of modern Doctor Who'? There will always be new stories to tell. If the BBC don't want to run any new DW they sure as hell aren't going to bankroll irrelevant remakes of the past. The whole point of the show is moving forward and there will always be tales to tell as long as the show is on the air.
  • MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re-imaging with new actors and new effects, it would have the same costs as the present Doctor Who. Anyone wanting the old series can still purchase them but they are not broadcast on UK TV anymore and so are ripe for being re-imaged afresh to todays standards............And a new audience.

Just as has happened to Star Trek and Battle Star Galactica
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    I actually thought about this earlier. If they reach the end of the Thirteenth Doctor and decide it would be cool to have the Doctor "restart" his regeneration cycle, then there could be some potential in re-producing all (or some) of the classic episodes by altering the scripts enough to make them interesting and relevant to a modern audience (essentially, same plot but Nu-Who style). So the classic series as we know it would still be "canon", but due to some timey-wimey fiddling with the universe's timeline, the Doctor has to revisit past adventures.

If anything, it would be a bit cheaper than producing new episodes since they wouldn't have to come up with completely original scripts.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather they didn't reboot the series after 50+ years of rough continuity.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,924
    Forum Member
    MeMeMeI wrote: »
    Re-imaging with new actors and new effects, it would have the same costs as the present Doctor Who. Anyone wanting the old series can still purchase them but they are not broadcast on UK TV anymore and so are ripe for being re-imaged afresh to todays standards............And a new audience.
    Just as has happened to Star Trek and Battle Star Galactica
    I assume you mean "re-imagining" not "re-imaging", but either way I think it would be a bad idea with most of "classic" Doctor Who.
    You could argue that the 2005 "re-boot", if you must call it that, was a re-imagining of some sort, as it kept the basic lead character and scenario, but presented it in a way that was notionally more accessible to modern audiences.
    It was a success, like it or not, but to try and actually re-do existing "classic era" stories in that style is a whole different kettle of fish, and one which I just don't think would work with most stories, but might with a few of them.
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the original versions would still exist for the die hard fans and most of the original is just not up to todays broadcast standard.

I meant re-imaging but if you feel the old stories are just not up to entertaining todays viewers then some shows would have to be made a fresh. Even re-imaging would not be clone copies and perhaps they could go the Star Trek route and select actors would look similar to the original cast?
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,924
    Forum Member
    But the original versions would still exist for the die hard fans and most of the original is just not up to todays broadcast standard.
    I meant re-imaging but if you feel the old stories are just not up to entertaining todays viewers then some shows would have to be made a fresh. Even re-imaging would not be clone copies and perhaps they could go the Star Trek route and select actors would look similar to the original cast?
    Some of the classic stories are well up to today's standards in terms of the concepts involved, but most would I suspect need substantial re-writes of the dialogue. They are very slow and stilted by today's standards. That's not a criticism, they were great in their time, but they would look pretty anachronistic if re-mounted now using exactly the same scripts, as would the vast majority of the TV dramas of their time.
    :)
  • dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Isn't the beauty of Doctor Who is that it goes forward and the lead actor always changes and it doesn't actually need re-imagining? isn't it better to have new stories with new enemies and adventures than try to modernize the classic era. I don't feel that the classic era needs updating so make it palatable for new fans. Its of its time and so will the era that we're currently watching.

I could just be nostalgic but the ropey monsters, dodgy sets and over-acting was part of the culture of Doctor Who. I'd go as far to say that it was one of the reasons it lasted so long, very British. I think the difference now is that everything has to be likely, even though its fiction. So the explosions must look right and characters motivations must be in keeping to what we expect. Back in the 70's watching it as a child the show was just magical and i feel that these notions of updating or renewing it a bit like trampling over happy memories.

Also its a bit like when they tried to remake Psycho with Vince Vaugn. New doesn't always mean better
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I m 50 and the doctor of my era was Jon Pertwee..

And I think it is mostly people looking back with rose tinted glasses. We loved them as kids but watching some now they clearly show their age and when was they last on telly.
    Instead of some possible lame excuse to make the Doctor live for ever. They cold re-tell the story....:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is just a massive waste of money and there is no point in updating it. It is not commercially viable . Anyway I much prefer watching stories such as Tomb of the Cybermen and Earthshock in 2013 than stories such as Closing Time. Also people born after those episodes were first shown enjoy them. It isn't mostly people looking back with rose tinted glasses.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was started nowadays...

...In the first episode, instead of Susan we'd meet a juvenile delinquent with a mysterious past and the other characters would be her schoolmates, who also turn out to be her parents (wibbly wobbly etc) and her future husband who has already witnessed her demise even though she's only just met him...

...oh, wait a minute.:D
  • dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I don't think its rose-tinted spex. I think I fully acknowledge that a lot of the series from the classic era doesn't age well.Only If its viewed through the standards of today. I like watching RKO Flash Gordon and still enjoy it even though its black n white and from the 30's. To be fair though no many updates of Flash Gordon have been any good.

Doctor Who should always move forward and become new while being connected to its past incarnations. Much like the character himself
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re-imaging would be moving forward and bringing more money to the Who franchise.
    Look at the many versions Star Wars went through and even the old Star Trek was spruced up and new effects added...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    re-imaging would be moving forward and bringing more money to the Who franchise.
    Look at the many versions Star Wars went through and even the old Star Trek was spruced up and new effects added...

But a lot of Star Wars fans did not want the extra effects in the DVDs and wanted the original versions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    But a lot of Star Wars fans did not want the extra effects in the DVDs and wanted the original versions.

And a lot of the new Star Wars with extra effects. re-done. sound and tidying up sold.

I knew one fan who kept buying every new version.

Also don't forget the old versions of Who would still exist along side the newer touched up or re-imaged version..
    The old versions would not just disappear off the planet.