iPod Mini vs Creative Zen Micro

Which one is better in terms of the following:

1) Sound quality, with or without the supplied earphones
(Difficult to measure cos the supplied earphones may be responsible for poorer or better quality rather than the actual player)

2) Usability, including the interface. How easy to use are the touchpads on both players?

3) Software used to transfer Mp3s

4) On the go Playlisting without a PC

5) Any other features apart from the radio, 1GB more space and longer lasting battery on the Creative Zen Micro.

I read a post where someone implied you were less likely to get mugged if you had a Creative Zen Micro as opposed to the iPod Mini. What about that 'glow' on the Creative Zen Micro, won't that attract attention?

Have you heard the rumour that iPod Minis are now shipping with 5GB which are locked at 4GB, and which may be 'unlocked' for the full 5GB capacity in a future firmware update?

How likely is it that this is true?

I want a great Mp3 player. I don't wanna show off, or heaven forbid, find that someone wants to mug me because my player attracts a lot of attention.

Thanks!
:):):)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure about the micro, but the Zen Touch 20gb has awful shock resistance, it crashes just walking with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Seven wrote:

(Difficult to measure cos the supplied earphones may be responsible for poorer or better quality rather than the actual player)

2) Usability, including the interface. How easy to use are the touchpads on both players?

5) Any other features apart from the radio, 1GB more space and longer lasting battery on the Creative Zen Micro.

I read a post where someone implied you were less likely to get mugged if you had a Creative Zen Micro as opposed to the iPod Mini. What about that 'glow' on the Creative Zen Micro, won't that attract attention?

Have you heard the rumour that iPod Minis are now shipping with 5GB which are locked at 4GB, and which may be 'unlocked' for the full 5GB capacity in a future firmware update?

I want a great Mp3 player. I don't wanna show off, or heaven forbid, find that someone wants to mug me because my player attracts a lot of attention.

Thanks!

(disclaimer: I'm happy 2nd generation iPod owner for 2 1/2 years)

Your points:

1) The iPod's earbuds are different these days to those which shipped with mine. But I've used them, and they're pretty good. It's not in Apple's nature to supply bad components with their hardware, but having said that, there's always better headphones out there!

I find the iPod plenty loud and clear enough for my use. Bear in mind that if you're concerned about this, do yourself a favour by experimenting with the MP3/AAC/whatever compression settings. Personally, I can't stand 'Joint Stereo'. I use real Stereo encoding, with a minimum of 192kbit/sec for MP3, or 160kbit/sec for AAC. Tinkering with these settings is a snap in iTunes.

2) I've played with the Zen, and quite honestly the iPod is much more usable. It's the little things that make a difference. I see from your profile that you're in London. I'd recommend a trip to the Apple Store on Regent Street. Wander up to an iPod and try one out for as long as you like. There's plenty of them there, most hooked up to Macs and waiting for you to play with 'em. The iTunes software's the same between Mac and PC, so you'll be able to see how it'd work on your PC just fine.

3) Personally, I've not used anything as good as iTunes. You can set the iPod to automatically sync to your iTunes library, in which case once you've ripped the CDs in iTunes, getting them onto the iPod is as simple as dropping it into the Dock. If you prefer some more control, investigate iTunes's 'Smart Playlists' and set the iPod to Manual (you just drag the tracks/albums/artists you want across).

Again, a visit to the Apple Store would be handy. The staff there are very knowledgable and good communicators, so don't be afraid to question them!

4) Hehe, I wish I knew! My ye-olde iPod doesn't support on-the-go playlists. But friends with 3rd and 4th generation iPods think they work just fine. Couple these with iTunes's automatically-refreshing Smart Playlists ("Give me 4 hours of Electronica-genre songs made in the 1990's which I haven't listened to for 3 months"), and you're sorted.

5) Well, it's entirely up to you which you prefer. A friend has a Zen (not the Micro, I believe), and it's a nice box. But my next MP3 player purchase will still be an iPod. I still have that 'yay! new toy!' feeling with my iPod even after having it so long. It's sturdily constructed, intuitive to use, and (*shock horror!*) still gives me 7-8 hours on a full charge as it approaches its 3rd birthday.

I'm not gonna base my purchases on what some pikey scum feel like nicking this week. I have some Sony MDR-EX71's, so the white cable isn't a lure. I don't bother with the iPod's remote either -- it's easily navigable by touch only in my pocket. The layout of the controls makes this possible. I can switch playlist (hit Menu twice, scroll up/down to another playlist and hit Select) easy. If I get bored, I hold Play & Menu to reset the unit, then just hit Play to have all my 3,100 songs play at random.

I heard the 5GB rumours as well. Can't say either way...

Finally, don't be swayed by the fashion victims who think an MP3 player's a status symbol, and the inverted snobs who dismiss the iPod just because some of its users are prats. Buy whichever you like, and don't give a toss about what others think. Speaking as someone who got their iPod before the craze took off, I can say my liking of it has nothing to do with fashion, and everything to do with how I can use it and what it does for my music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Ipod's earphones are a tad iconic so if that worries you buy something to replace them that doesn't make you stand out as a Ipod user/potential mugging victim.

Even the truely inept can use an Ipod, it is very intuative and well thought out.

Itunes is a great piece of software and although MediaPlayer etc are running to catch it I still say it is one of the major plus points of the Ipod. Plus you can bet other online music services will support Ipods when it is unlikely Itunes will support other Mp3 players. It brings your libary, syncing and online music store althougher very well.

I have no idea on the lockes extra gig..having got a early mini ipod for my wife I know I won't have that extra 1gig hidden even if it is true.

On the other hand the Micro is very stylish and has removable battery and fm radio, but even with that given the choice I would plump for the Ipod on the stregth of Itunes alone.

Finally there is stregth in numbers and with regard to after market accessories there are a huge amount for the Ipod, you can't say the same for the Zen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before buying check this out!!!

Click HERE

You will need a broadband connection!!!
  • Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    Ive got a Zen xtra, and the software with that may look a bit clunky, but it works well, as for automatic sync with my music library/player, that can be set to automatic or manual, but I have it turned off, as i prefer to do it manualy.

As for the above post on ipod dirty little secret ( battery) that problem is quite old, and i believe that it is no longer relavent with the advances in LI-ION batterys, and the mp3 players that use them ( all manufacturers)

As for on the go playlists, on the zen xtra there sorted into two categorys:
    selected musicwhich are tunes selected form the music library, you can change the order of these, remove tracks from it, etc.
    then theres playlists.
    you can save a playlist from the now playing list (save as playlist) add a playlist to the selected music list, save it as a new playlist, edit a playlist, remove tracks from a playlist, add tracks to a playlist and change the order of a playlist, without a p.c.

there are some reviews ( with video) of various other mp3 players on www.cnet.com

also for creative players theres www.nomadness.net for i pods theres www.ipodlounge.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,440
    Forum Member
    Rotara wrote:
    Before buying check this out!!!

Click HERE

You will need a broadband connection!!!

WOW!

Welcome to last year, when that site was debunked as a load of nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard_T wrote:

As for the above post on ipod dirty little secret ( battery) that problem is quite old, and i believe that it is no longer relavent with the advances in LI-ION batterys, and the mp3 players that use them ( all manufacturers)

www.ipodlounge.com

yeah heard it's sorted (via a replacement programme at first!) but now with proper batteries!

I would still buy the iPod though.. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10bellies wrote:
    WOW!

Welcome to last year, when that site was debunked as a load of nonsense.

last year was only last week (or two!) but yeah got that circular ages ago...

Sorry if it has already done the rounds, but still find it mildly amusing, maybe because I kind've like semi-anti-establishment protest.. plus the effort & balls it took to make the vid.

About the truth of it, well I had a first generation iPod that died on me just after having it a year & at that time there was no replacement policy in place. I remember a Nokia phone battery kind've fitted & gave me 2 hours of joy again before having to unplug it put it back into a phone to charge it again.. But hey, it worked! Can't remember what i did with the old iPod now!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote:
    Not sure about the micro, but the Zen Touch 20gb has awful shock resistance, it crashes just walking with it.
    Oh, please don't say that... I've only just ordered mine! :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seven wrote:

Thanks!

Can't speak for the Zen Micro ... I have a Creative Muvo2. Capacity is the same as the iPod mini at 4gb. They come in about £30/40 cheaper than the Zen or the Ipod. The wife uses an iPod mini.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=4626153315&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=56939

In answer to your questions (in terms of iPod mini vs Muvo2):

1. With decent headphones they are about on a par. I wasn't impressed with the standard Apple 'phones, nor the Creative ones, but then I don't like in-ear headphones. I've yet to find a set that isn't too tinny for me.

2. Usability. I'd give that one to the iPod. I must admit, the click-wheel is nice. However, thats not to say the Muvo2 interface is bad. It has ample features, just not quite as many as the Ipod.

3. Software for transfer. Muvo2 is my weapon of choice here. No software required. Plug it in via USB2, drag and drop your MP3's, with or without folder nesting. drag and drop your playlists. Unplug it and go. No drivers, no install, no software ... thats why I like it! You do get software with it but I've never installed it! However, if you need something to manage your music collection I suppose you could do worse than iTunes. Personally, I found it fiddly to install and a bit annoying to configure and use. But, now it's up and running the wife seems happy enough with it so it can't be that bad. The iPod itself also had to be flashed and updated before use on a Windows PC.

4. Can't say I'm afraid as neither of us use it! Don't think the Muvo2 supports it though.

5. Other features .... The Muvo2 is smaller than the iPod mini. From people I know - I know more who've had bother with iPods breaking down than Creative products. Battery life is about double that of the iPod on the Muvo2.

I dunno about the mugging thing. I tend to keep my player in my pocket 99% of the time and I don't use the standard headphones (neither does the wife). If you don't want mugged for it, don't wave it about under a pikey's nose! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,425
    Forum Member
    I can finally talk on the Zen Micro. (I received mine on Saturday).

Phenomenal to say the least.
    Knowing how both players worked before buying one, I knew what I was in for and to be honest there isn't much difference between either in just how good they are. However all the perks and the cheapness of the Zen Micro just outweighed that of it's nearest rival.
    Creative have a Zen Micro Photo in the pipeline too so if you're prepared to wait, do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rotara wrote:
    last year was only last week (or two!) but yeah got that circular ages ago...
    Got that circular? I've not heard that expression before although I'm pretty sure I know what it means!:)
    Rotara wrote:
    Sorry if it has already done the rounds, but still find it mildly amusing, maybe because I kind've like semi-anti-establishment protest.. plus the effort & balls it took to make the vid.

About the truth of it, well I had a first generation iPod that died on me just after having it a year & at that time there was no replacement policy in place. I remember a Nokia phone battery kind've fitted & gave me 2 hours of joy again before having to unplug it put it back into a phone to charge it again.. But hey, it worked! Can't remember what i did with the old iPod now!!
    I haven't got Broadband to watch that video so what was this 'problem'? Was it true?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    I have a Zen Micro, so I shall answer your questions!

1) Sound quality is excellent on both the supplied earphones and my personal headphones. This of course does depend on the bit rate of the mp3s you are listening too. (Mine are 128kpbs).

2) Usability, out the box and using it! The buttons are self explanatory; even a monkey could pick it up and use it without a manual!

3) Initially, out the box the Zen Micro required me to install drivers and Creatives own software which was used to transfer mp3's. However upon visiting the Zen’s website, I updated the firmware to version 2.0 and now it doesn’t require drivers or creatives software, instead you can plug it into any Win XP computer via USB and transfer files via Media Player 10. Simple.

4) Haven’t used the play list feature yet, just random.

5) got an extra battery in my box (limited offer); also the glowing blue is a nice and cool effect.

Hope this gives you the info you are looking for,
    Craig.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seven wrote:
    Got that circular? I've not heard that expression before although I'm pretty sure I know what it means!:)

I haven't got Broadband to watch that video so what was this 'problem'? Was it true?

The URL/video went round as an email circulation sometime last year... There was some truth in it, & Apple did address the problem after they started to get bad press over this issue.

The problem was with the battery, early iPods had Li-Cad batteries (i think) & some failed miserably after around year (which is when the warranty ran out!) This happened to mine.. Apple didn't know what to do & eventually quoted me for a repair! £over £100!! But I tried to explain it was the battery.. I eventually gave up.. & although I loved my iPod to bits, it literally ended up in bits! Have been seriously thinking about a replacement but i'm gonna wait until I go over to the states during the spring.. Coz we tend to get ripped off over here in the UK, & currently Apple are being taken to court over charging UK customers more than our Euro neighbours for iTune Music Downloads...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rotara wrote:
    The URL/video went round as an email circulation sometime last year... There was some truth in it, & Apple did address the problem after they started to get bad press over this issue.

The problem was with the battery, early iPods had Li-Cad batteries (i think) & some failed miserably after around year (which is when the warranty ran out!) This happened to mine.. Apple didn't know what to do & eventually quoted me for a repair! £over £100!! But I tried to explain it was the battery.. I eventually gave up.. & although I loved my iPod to bits, it literally ended up in bits! Have been seriously thinking about a replacement but i'm gonna wait until I go over to the states during the spring.. Coz we tend to get ripped off over here in the UK, & currently Apple are being taken to court over charging UK customers more than our Euro neighbours for iTune Music Downloads...
    Thanks, yeah, it's Ni-Cad batteries. They're pretty poor. Ni-MH is a minimum these days cos it lasts longer - short-term and long-term I think, no/less memory effect (you can charge it even if it has some charge
    left).

Yeah I know about everything costing a lot more in the UK, especially compared to the US. The excuse I've heard is that the US is a much bigger country so more people buying, therefore the companies can 'afford' to lower their prices a bit more. I agree with this to some extent but the prices in th UK should still be at least bit lower. We even get charged more than our European counterparts like you say. We should at least be closer to the prices of the rest of Europe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seven wrote:
    We even get charged more than our European counterparts like you say. We should at least be closer to the prices of the rest of Europe.

No, we should be charged the SAME as our Euro neighbours!

We work longer hours, get shorter holidays, get less pay & expected to pay more for our goods!?

The EU & the common market was designed to employ parity & stability across neighbour states, increase standards of living & encourage fair trade..
    But we still pay more for almost everything!

B@ll@x isn't it?
  • squawkBOXsquawkBOX Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can never be the exact same pricing for the whole of Europe. (I'm ignoring currency markets for a start). It is all to do with the size of the market and basic supply/demand laws. Where a firm has a different market, they find ways to exploit it and in the UK, they have found that they can charge higher prices.

Although just an issue to touch on, remember in the US the prices quoted generally are without tax. Tax is added at the point of sale. So the overall valuation is higher in the end - although not at the same prices as the UK.

The EU is basically a trade block, not really about having the same price in one country compared to another. Its all about having free barriers to trade, which in turn should lower prices for everyone in the EU. (although I could totally counteract my argument by stating with the common external tarrif for goods from outside the EU could increase prices. However, with more trade with Europe than any other countries, its probably benefical.)

Apologies for the OT-ness!

I was personally thinking about the Zen Micro myself. I was wondering if anyone is able to point me in the direction of some real pictures of the device, as I've not seen one in person and we all know that the images on sites can make the product look slightly different.

Also what software is used to tranfer files? Is it just explorer (with the device acting as a HD) or some dedicated piece of software?

thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the reviews on the Ebuyer site you don't have to use the supplied software. Just drag and drop with explorer if thats the way you want to do it.

Makes sense, Creative stuff usually leaves the software optional.

Reviews:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=4666546101&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=80283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rotara wrote:
    No, we should be charged the SAME as our Euro neighbours!

We work longer hours, get shorter holidays, get less pay & expected to pay more for our goods!?

The EU & the common market was designed to employ parity & stability across neighbour states, increase standards of living & encourage fair trade..
    But we still pay more for almost everything!

B@ll@x isn't it?
    I did say we should at least pay closer prices to that of our European neighbours because we're never gonna pay the SAME as out European neighbours. The reason I gave fir this is explained in more detail by squawkBOX:
    squawkBOX wrote:
    It can never be the exact same pricing for the whole of Europe. (I'm ignoring currency markets for a start). It is all to do with the size of the market and basic supply/demand laws. Where a firm has a different market, they find ways to exploit it and in the UK, they have found that they can charge higher prices...
    So I stand by what I said - we should be paying less than we do now but I don't expect to pay the SAME as another country cs of the issues raised.

The reason I and a lot of people are all upset is the EXTORTIONATELY higher prices we are forced to pay. It's not a small difference, it's quite big and it's unreasonable. I can understand companies lowering there prices a little in countries where there is more demand but the differences in price, especially between the UK and the US is unbelievable.

We have gone off-topic here, maybe we should start a separate thread to continue this discussion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No separate thread needed, we won't chew the fat on this one anymore.. Not withstanding your explanations, but whichever way you look at it it's not right, especially with countries where they have a better standard of living than us Brits.

To the original poster, sorry i can't give any insight into the Zen Micro, i've only owned the iPod & didn't consider any alternatives.. But from the other forum members it certainly gives the ipod a run for its money! Good luck & enjoy. R.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From my experiences with iPod and iPod mini they are much better in most departments.

The battery issue really applies to any Lithium Ion battery, at the time of the video (when it was made) there was no way of replacing the battery. But just before the video was published Apple introduced the battery replacement scheme. It could affect any other device using a Lithium Ion battery.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rotara wrote:
    No separate thread needed, we won't chew the fat on this one anymore.. Not withstanding your explanations, but whichever way you look at it it's not right, especially with countries where they have a better standard of living than us Brits.
    I never said it was right, just that it's understandable BUT it was still unreasonably and unnecessarily high. I made the comment about contiuing in another thread cos it seemed people needed to air their views on pricing and I didn't want it taking over this thread.
    Rotara wrote:
    To the original poster, sorry i can't give any insight into the Zen Micro, i've only owned the iPod & didn't consider any alternatives.. But from the other forum members it certainly gives the ipod a run for its money! Good luck & enjoy. R.
    I AM the original poster.:)
    Daveoc64 wrote:
    From my experiences with iPod and iPod mini they are much better in most departments.

The battery issue really applies to any Lithium Ion battery, at the time of the video (when it was made) there was no way of replacing the battery. But just before the video was published Apple introduced the battery replacement scheme. It could affect any other device using a Lithium Ion battery.
    I think they were Ni-Cad batteries. They aren't really suitable for things like Mp3 players. Or maybe you're right in that the early Li-Ion batteries used by iPods were poor for some reason, probably a fault.

I've decided I am gonna get an iPod as I don't like the small problem that's been noticed with Zen Micros. Play a track and then select another one to play without stopping the first, it takes 2-5 seconds to respond. It's a small thing but this is something I do tend to do and I would want a quicker response. I've read this may be due to the disk in the Zen Micro spinning up a little slower and that it may be noticed in at least another function of the player. Read the reviews and look for the test I've described.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seven wrote:
    I never said it was right, just that it's understandable BUT it was still unreasonably and unnecessarily high. I made the comment about contiuing in another thread cos it seemed people needed to air their views on pricing and I didn't want it taking over this thread.

I wasn't directing my statement at you, nor was it in response to anything you said, it was more of a general comment, please don't misunderstand.

Apologies if i appeared to dismiss your idea of starting another thread, no disrespect was intended, but it seemed it was for my benefit as I was the only one who wanted to air the disparity on European pricing! If there's others out there (including yourself) that want to debate this issue then i'll happily contribute in another thread.

As for the iPod, good choice.
    Enjoy it.

R.

p.s. As for the previous poster re: batteries, I thought the early iPods used Ni-Mh batteries that suffered from memory degradation over time.. Later replaced by Li-on batteries that appeared to address the longevity issues? Maybe i've got them the wrong way round, but most modern rechargeable devices now use Li-on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that if we could hear each others voices there'd be a lot less misunderstandings. That's one of the downsides of forums and chat, words don't carry the emotions and tones.

You don't have to apologise.:)

I would like to know what type of batteries they were as I'm taking a calculated guess. I now think that they must've been Ni-Mh cos Ni-Cad would not even last a year with the iPod! Ni-Cad would not be suitable at all so I'd say you're right Rotara. I'll run a search on Yahoo.

I wish they start using Li-Polymer batteries in Mp3 players and more mobile phones soon. It's supposed to be a lot better than Li-Ion and it should become more widespread as the costs come down.
  • issi nohoissi noho Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've had a creative zen touch for about 6 months now not had any problems at all, the software is fairly easy to use, takes 3-4 minutes to rip a cd to mp3, then less than a minute to write to the player, not bad for 140 quid new :)