Dragons' Den

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is supposed to be a thread dedicated to the Dragon's Den, and while I can quite see what you are all on about surely you should open another thread on this guy's software as it looks as though the topic will not go away quickly??
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Chunes wrote:
    *Sigh* I wasn't actually attacking your post, I was just wanting to know if you knew for certain and how you knew. On looking at the code, yeah, looks like you're right. But couldn't a patent orginate in the UK, giving it that code, but maybe stretch further afield, if the applicant has applied and paid for other regions?

In my experience of applying for a UK and worldwide patent (nothing to do with DD!), the GB patent is sorted relatively quickly but it takes many, many months for the worldwide patent to be sorted and take effect. However, I was told by our patent lawyer that once the process for a worldwide patent had started, no one else would be able to leapfrog us with something very similar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    haha whoever sat Richard at the end is a genious.. thats twice now hes come in like that.. he's saved by having Duncan in between because Duncans normally out by the time he makes his move so he has a little barrier between him and the dragons he's p**sing off. I like him.
    So do I.

Are Peter Jones's hard stares being played up for the cameras do you think? Thought he was going to turn Richard to stone at one point! :D
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the way that Duncan always declares himself out, then starts shifting in his chair and giving strange looks to the other Dragons when they make an offer or say they like a business idea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I think this could just be the first show ever that everyone likes?
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Had a very good giggle at the Aussie dragon, implying that the other Dragons were shifty.

There's no love lost between Peter (man mountain) and Aussie dragon.
    Then again given what's been said about Sir Mixalot's software he might get dropped like hot brick once Theo and Female Dragon get into the nuts n bolts.

Footy golf game about as entertaining as that awful Wet head game I've seen advertised.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldbod wrote:
    This is supposed to be a thread dedicated to the Dragon's Den, and while I can quite see what you are all on about surely you should open another thread on this guy's software as it looks as though the topic will not go away quickly??

I'm sure it'll die away shortly, but what else is there to talk about to next week?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a very good giggle at the Aussie dragon, implying that the other Dragons were shifty.

There's no love lost between Peter (man mountain) and Aussie dragon.
    Then again given what's been said about Sir Mixalot's software he might get dropped like hot brick once Theo and Female Dragon get into the nuts n bolts.

Footy golf game about as entertaining as that awful Wet head game I've seen advertised.

I kind of wonder whether they might have pulled out. I'm curious as to what the agreement is when they shake hands. I'm sure the dragons must be able to pull out if they get cold feet and the "inventors" have to sign something before they go on the show, saying they can - although I'd be curious if the inventors get the same option.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chunes wrote:
    I kind of wonder whether they might have pulled out. I'm curious as to what the agreement is when they shake hands. I'm sure the dragons must be able to pull out if they get cold feet and the "inventors" have to sign something before they go on the show, saying they can - although I'd be curious if the inventors get the same option.

Possible spoilers about the show background ahead ...

Rachel Elnaugh said on her website at the time of the last series that they go over the finances in detail after the program and before the deal goes ahead, and they perform a full "due diligence" exercise (basically - checking everything) just like any company or stock acquisition. She said that most of the deals from the first series did not go through because the people on the show had simply lied. For instance there was a bloke with umbrella vending machines who claimed to have an agreement in place for placing the machines in London Undergound stations, but he had nothing of the sort.

As for the hard stares and dragon expressions - if it is anything like several similar programs I've seen filmed, I would not be at all surprised if the dragon expressions are filmed separately afterwards, or are cut and pasted during the editing process from completely different parts of the filming. For instance, I went to one of the Apprentice You're Fired tapings, and while they captured most of that in one go, they then had a lengthy session of getting the guests and host to sit/stand with various expressions on their faces for 20, 30 seconds each one. So if someone is not "smiling enough" they just paste in a section of them smiling better. Peter Jones shown scowling at something could have originated from a completely different inventor's pitch. It's only when they actually speak to or interact with someone else that you can really be sure their expression and emotion actually happened at that point in time!
    Forum Member
    Chunes wrote:

Yep dragons and inventors can both pull out of the deal.
    Obviously there's some crossing of T's and that sort of thing that must go on afterwards.
    Presume they can both pull out before any paperwork is signed.

Truck wash man pulled out of the deal and decided not to go with the dragons.

Umbrella dispenser bloke from a previous series got dropped after the Dragons found out his exclusive deal with LU wasn't quite as exclusive as he'd first made out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldbod wrote:

I reckon most of us can cope with more than one angle being discussed at a time. His software was part of the show though.
  • rocksolsrocksols Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the way that Duncan always declares himself out, then starts shifting in his chair and giving strange looks to the other Dragons when they make an offer or say they like a business idea.
    Of all the dragons I find him most annoying. he just seems really pompous and rude.

I saw a sketch on Dead Ringers of Dragon's Den, it was very funny. This man came in and showed the dragons his machine that turned something like paper into gold, then each Dragon said it was ridiculous and would never work or something :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rocksols wrote:
    Of all the dragons I find him most annoying. he just seems really pompous and rude.

I saw a sketch on Dead Ringers of Dragon's Den, it was very funny. This man came in and showed the dragons his machine that turned something like paper into gold, then each Dragon said it was ridiculous and would never work or something :D

Ha ha, excellent. I have never heard of Dragons Den until about 3 weeks ago. I am gutted this passed me by for so long!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    googleking wrote:
    Possible spoilers about the show background ahead ...

Rachel Elnaugh said on her website at the time of the last series that they go over the finances in detail after the program and before the deal goes ahead, and they perform a full "due diligence" exercise (basically - checking everything) just like any company or stock acquisition. She said that most of the deals from the first series did not go through because the people on the show had simply lied. For instance there was a bloke with umbrella vending machines who claimed to have an agreement in place for placing the machines in London Undergound stations, but he had nothing of the sort.

As for the hard stares and dragon expressions - if it is anything like several similar programs I've seen filmed, I would not be at all surprised if the dragon expressions are filmed separately afterwards, or are cut and pasted during the editing process from completely different parts of the filming. For instance, I went to one of the Apprentice You're Fired tapings, and while they captured most of that in one go, they then had a lengthy session of getting the guests and host to sit/stand with various expressions on their faces for 20, 30 seconds each one. So if someone is not "smiling enough" they just paste in a section of them smiling better. Peter Jones shown scowling at something could have originated from a completely different inventor's pitch. It's only when they actually speak to or interact with someone else that you can really be sure their expression and emotion actually happened at that point in time!

Ah right, thanks for the info GK and GC.
  • Honey84Honey84 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    first post here...hi everyone :)

I absolutely LOVE this show. I randomly started watching during the first series in 2003 and have been hooked ever since. Although the inventions are interesting, for me the dragons make it as good as it is.

Am I the only person who actually likes Deborah? I think she is very fair and seems relatively human. She also comes across as quite honest.

As for Duncan, I feel the need to defend him. In previous series' he has invested - such as in the jewellary woman in series 2. I don't know what is wrong with him this series, I think he's probably just getting a bit grumpy!

Love Richard Farleigh - honest, fair and so unbelievably polite. Not afraid to stitch up the other dragons. Great stuff.

As for those seeking investment - a lot of them have fairly good ideas, but just haven't proved it yet. I would spend a little time proving that the business worked, and then gone to the dragons. Their money is reasonably inconsequential - the advice would be priceless.

Favourite person to date - Itsa man. Fabulous.

Finally - I am alone in thinking that Theo is sexier than Peter?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rocksols wrote:

I miss the "Yo Sushi!" guy, he often used to be quite positive about some ideas when the rest were being negative. Some of the Dragons, particularly Duncan and Peter seem overly keen to take the p*ss out of just about every idea.

I thought the foot cleaner thing was a perfect example this week. Although I'm not sure it was a good idea and the guy was a bit unwise to try and make 15,000 before getting a big order, I wasn't sure it was a bad idea either, it was one of those things that might sell or might not. But Peter had to royally take the pee out of it and claim it wasn't awkward at all to give your feet a good clean in the shower. But I'd agree with the inventor, it's not the easiest thing in the world to do and is probably a very awkward and perhaps dangerous thing to do for people who are getting old or have back issues or whatever.

I'd like to see Peter wash his feet easily when he's, say, 80.
    Forum Member
    Fair point with the foot cleaner thing, it's an odd product, priced placed in the right places it could make money.

As you say unproven, there must be cheaper ways of getting a few hundred made.

I did get a bit of a lift from Q top bloke being offered a job, he has a certain something and he'd make a very good salesman, he also has other ideas in the pipeline, so working with Peter who has fingers in many pies could make him a millionaire.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honey84 wrote:

"If you make this product? - If you make this product - I will sue you" :D

Great way to try and get some investment - threaten to sue the person!
    Forum Member
    Honey84 wrote:
    first post here...hi everyone :)
    Hello! :)
    I absolutely LOVE this show. I randomly started watching during the first series in 2003 and have been hooked ever since. Although the inventions are interesting, for me the dragons make it as good as it is.
    Absolutely. Sometimes those 'budding entrepreneurs' (as the BBC calls them) really are asking to be ripped to bits. The only thing I can't decide is if the Dragons have become more vicious, and whether that's because they're being asked to portray certain characters on the show.
    Am I the only person who actually likes Deborah? I think she is very fair and seems relatively human. She also comes across as quite honest.
    I must admit I didn't like her initially but I like her a lot more than Rachel. I certainly agree that she comes across as honest but I do think - like the majority of the Dragons - she just wants too much of a chunk of a share in the company.
    As for Duncan, I feel the need to defend him. In previous series' he has invested - such as in the jewellary woman in series 2.
    Was that the hideous huge stuff? I remember seeing her on a review of the programme and she'd fallen out with Rachel because she'd given her a brooch or something for a photo shoot and Rachel thought she could keep it but the woman wanted to be paid for it.
    I don't know what is wrong with him this series, I think he's probably just getting a bit grumpy!
    I think he's great - again it could be he's playing up to a certain type of behaviour expected of him. Also he does crop up on other TV shows so I think he actually enjoys being in front of the camera. Maybe it's more about that for him than investing these days.
    Love Richard Farleigh - honest, fair and so unbelievably polite. Not afraid to stitch up the other dragons. Great stuff.
    I completely agree - well, talking from my standpoint as a business numbskull! - but he does seem to only ask for a fair amount for his investment as opposed to greedily asking for 40% or 45% which seems to be the norm from the other Dragons now.
    Oh he was infuriating! But very good entertainment. I think my favourite so far in this series has been the cucumber condom man.
    Finally - I am alone in thinking that Theo is sexier than Peter?
    I'm sure Mrs Theo agrees with you. ;)

Personally I don't find either of them sexy, for me that was Doug Richard from the previous series. :)
  • rolergirlrolergirl Posts: 5,205
    Forum Member
    please help me,i cant remember what doug richards looked like :confused:
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rolergirl wrote:
    please help me,i cant remember what doug richards looked like :confused:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/cambridgeshire/content/images/2005/02/03/doug_richard2_150_150x180.jpg
  • Honey84Honey84 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    The only thing that makes me feel a little uncomfortable is when the dragons take the mick out of someone who is a lot older than them. I don't know why this bothers me - I think it has something to do with the whole "respect your elders" thing that I have been brought up with.

Chiarascuro - thanks for your reply :) I agree that often the dragons are too greedy, with the exception of RF, who seems to actually work out a valuation for the business, as opposed to plucking a number randomly out of the air.

Did you see the Dead Ringers sketch? "I want 150% of the business, your house, your car and your first-born child." lol.

I didn't know that about huge jewellary woman. I agree that the pieces were hideous - I think one of them was a huge scorpion that took up three quarters of your torso. To be honest, I think Duncan only invested because she was pretty! Jewellary doesn't seem to be his thing.

Also, problem with the ITSA - surely if they were being given out to everyone aboard a cruise, then everyone would know about the secret pocket, thus making it completely redundant?
  • rolergirlrolergirl Posts: 5,205
    Forum Member
    ah yes,now i remember him
    thank you dundee mark x
    Forum Member
    Honey84 wrote:
    The only thing that makes me feel a little uncomfortable is when the dragons take the mick out of someone who is a lot older than them. I don't know why this bothers me - I think it has something to do with the whole "respect your elders" thing that I have been brought up with.
    I know what you mean. When they had the exercise chair man on and they were all laughing I started to feel a bit uncomfortable because it started to feel like they were taking the mickey. That's when I really warmed to Richard, because he told him he was a 'great guy'.
    Chiarascuro - thanks for your reply :)
    That's OK. :)
    Did you see the Dead Ringers sketch? "I want 150% of the business, your house, your car and your first-born child." lol.
    Yes! That was really funny.
    I didn't know that about huge jewellary woman. I agree that the pieces were hideous - I think one of them was a huge scorpion that took up three quarters of your torso. To be honest, I think Duncan only invested because she was pretty!
    :D I remember thinking that at the time! Although apparently it was her enthusiasm - I've just found this interview with him that's quite interesting.
    Also, problem with the ITSA - surely if they were being given out to everyone aboard a cruise, then everyone would know about the secret pocket, thus making it completely redundant?
    Exactly. Also, quite often people watch before robbing so if they saw you going in and out a pocket, putting your MP3 player/phone/wallet etc in/out out of it and then you strolled off to the pool leaving it all in there they'd have a pretty good idea of where to go for the valuable stuff. Alternatively, they could just grab the entire Itsa and run off! :D
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rocksols wrote:

Not quite,

Its a woman, and her machine turns scrap metal into gold :)

It was on YouTube but I can't find it now. .