Who are your favourite and worst political columnists?

AdsAds Posts: 37,036
Forum Member
Some of mine

Favourites:

Dan Hodges - hated by many Labourites, mainly because he hits the nail firmly on the head
Peter Oborne - pretty engaging and passionate
Tony Young - passionate, but doesn't take himself too seriously - wrote some impressive stuff during the recent Twitter abuse episode

Worst

Polly - Just a complete hypocrite
Richard Littlejohn - typical pub bore constantly making borderline racist and homophobic comments
Seamus Milne - away with the communist fairies
Gary Younge - an anti white racist
Yasmin Alibhai Brown - another anti white racist
Amanda Platell - an unpleasant bitch
Matthew d'Ancona - writes whatever script Conservative HQ hands him
Kevin Maguire - as above but for Labour

Comments

• ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of mine (some are just their blogs)

Favourites:
    • Benedict Brogan
    • Dan Hodges
    • Toby Young
    • Janet Daley
    • Rachel Sylvester
    • Michael White
    • Patrick Wintour
    • Andrew Rawnsley

Least Favourites:
    • Polly (unless I need a good laugh)
    • Yasmin Alibhai Brown
    • Richard Littlejohn
    • Simon Heffer (though he seems to be 'resting' at the moment)
    • Steve Richards
    • Peter Hitchens
    • Peter Oborne
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,036
    Forum Member
    ecco66 wrote: »
    Some of mine (some are just their blogs)

Favourites:
    • Benedict Brogan
    • Dan Hodges
    • Toby Young
    • Janet Daley
    • Rachel Sylvester
    • Michael White
    • Patrick Wintour
    • Andrew Rawnsley

Least Favourites:
    • Polly (unless I need a good laugh)
    • Yasmin Alibhai Brown
    • Richard Littlejohn
    • Simon Heffer (though he seems to be 'resting' at the moment)
    • Steve Richards
    • Peter Hitchens
    • Peter Oborne

I forgot Rawnsley - a really good writer. His book on Labour's downfall is terrific.

Also forgot Hitchens, what an odd fellow!
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quinten Letts write up of pmq's is always a good read. Good use of language.
    Can't think of any really bad ones. Plenty that are agenda driven or riddled with blatent hypocracy and plenty that read like press releases. But no badly written ones spring to mind
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,291
    Forum Member
    Worst for me are Amanda Platel, Richard Littlejohn, Kelvin Mackenzie and Simon Jenkins.

Favourite, none of them make me sit back and go wow really. I think Gary Young often gets pretty close to the truth though.

I should add that Platel and her colleagues have put me off buying the Daily Mail.. That is how disagreeable I find them in general!
  • Carla-esqueCarla-esque Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading articles by Polly Toynbee is like reading self-parody.
  • warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Steyn is brilliant.
    James Delingpole is very good, too.
  • angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    Mary Riddel of the Telegraph. Dreadful.

All her writing is the same. 'On the one hand this, on the other hand that'. 'Sources close to 'x' said this, it is understood that someone else thinks that'. Hardly any real quotes or references.

Each essay has as its core message a piece of advice or a hymn of praise to Miliband. Even worse is the fact that her writing is barely readable. An incredible bore.

There is a good example of her work in today's Telegraph.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    I forgot Rawnsley - a really good writer. His book on Labour's downfall is terrific.

Rawnsley is easily the best writer on the left of the political spectrum.

The first thing I read on a Monday morning is Boris Johnson's column in the Telegraph. I may not always agree with what he says, but it's always an entertaining read and I always learn a new word to add to my vocabulary. Matthew Parris is also excellent.

Worst: Polly Toynbee and Owen Jones.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rawnsley seems to have done a bit of a runner since being accused of plagiarism though - hope he makes a comeback as he usually was pretty good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also forgot Hitchens, what an odd fellow!
    Yes, I do wonder where Hitchens gets his ideas from - very strange some of them!

I enjoyed Rawnsley's book too, it was a great read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Rawnsley is easily the best writer on the left of the political spectrum.

The first thing I read on a Monday morning is Boris Johnson's column in the Telegraph. I may not always agree with what he says, but it's always an entertaining read and I always learn a new word to add to my vocabulary. Matthew Parris is also excellent.

Worst: Polly Toynbee and Owen Jones.
    Oh yes, I forgot Boris Johnson and Matthew Parris!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Rawnsley seems to have done a bit of a runner since being accused of plagiarism though - hope he makes a comeback as he usually was pretty good.
    That was only at the end of July though, maybe he is on holiday?
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't do newspapers so I can't really comment but out of those political commentators I see on the telly one person stands head and shoulders above all others as a complete and utter plank......

....Owen Jones.

I don't really have any favourites - least annoying would probably be a better description.
  • TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    Here are the ones I read regularly - doesn't necessarily mean I agree with them, but I just enjoy what they write:

Favourites:

Frazer Nelson
    Polly Toynbee (yes, I know...;) )
    George Monbiot
    Janet Daley
    Peter Hitchens (another yes, I know ;) )
    Owen Jones (yes, there's another)
    Alistair Heath

Least Favourites:

Melanie Phillips
    Richard Littlejohn
    Suzanne Moore

:D

Regards,

Cypher
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,291
    Forum Member
    I forgot about Steve Richards. I think he is very good but in a way he imo, states the ovbious in an articulate way where again imo, a lot of the others miss stating the obvious so he does well on that front and in general.

Michael White is also pretty good at that and Owen Jones tells it like it is on most things for real Labour supporters instead of all the Blairite stuff Labour supporters keep on getting "inflicted" on them as their "mouthpiece when they don't represent me as a real Labour type!

Also Mehdi Hasan can be pretty good too especially on broadcast media when he is stating his views but I find it hard to know where he is coming from on his tweets quite a lot. I find them a bit too ambiguous.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Some of mine

Favourites:

Dan Hodges - hated by many Labourites, mainly because he hits the nail firmly on the head
    Peter Oborne - pretty engaging and passionate
    Tony Young - passionate, but doesn't take himself too seriously - wrote some impressive stuff during the recent Twitter abuse episode

Worst

Polly - Just a complete hypocrite
    Richard Littlejohn - typical pub bore constantly making borderline racist and homophobic comments
    Seamus Milne - away with the communist fairies
    Gary Younge - an anti white racist
    Yasmin Alibhai Brown - another anti white racist
    Amanda Platell - an unpleasant bitch
    Matthew d'Ancona - writes whatever script Conservative HQ hands him
    Kevin Maguire - as above but for Labour

You should read his columns in The Mirror.
    He regularly sticks the boot into Labour, when he feels it's needed.
    Compare that with some Daily Mail columnists, who'd praise Torys even if they were buggering British badgers.
    Forum Member
    Try reading Rod Liddle in the Sunday Times.

He makes Littlejohn appear highbrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    You should read his columns in The Mirror.
    He regularly sticks the boot into Labour, when he feels it's needed.
    Compare that with some Daily Mail columnists, who'd praise Torys even if they were buggering British badgers.

That's a nice piece of alliteration!

Maguire talks a load of claptrap but I do like him. He's always good fun on the Sky News paper review with "Tory Boy" Andrew Pierce of the Mail. They deserve their own show.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    That's a nice piece of alliteration!

Maguire talks a load of claptrap but I do like him. He's always good fun on the Sky News paper review with "Tory Boy" Andrew Pierce of the Mail. They deserve their own show.

They did have their own show on LBC 97.3 radio, I think.

I certainly know that Ken Livingstone and David Mellor have, or had, one. Kevin's certainly been on the station, as had Andrew.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Michael White is also pretty good at that and Owen Jones tells it like it is on most things for real Labour supporters instead of all the Blairite stuff Labour supporters keep on getting "inflicted" on them as their "mouthpiece when they don't represent me as a real Labour type!

What qualifies someone to be a "real Labour type"?
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Heffer' in the Mail and Paul Routledge in the Mirror always seem to make me contemptuous. Rod Liddle simply comes across as an irritating berk.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,036
    Forum Member
    'Heffer' in the Mail and Paul Routledge in the Mirror always seem to make me contemptuous. Rod Liddle simply comes across as an irritating berk.

Haven't read the Mirror for years but from memory Routledge is a complete shill for Brown and was forever carping at Blair during his leadership.

I see someone else mentioned Fraser Nelson, who is certainly one of the better Tory writers.
  • redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well for me Owen Jones and Mark Steel (and on the rare occasions they are let out Seamus Milne, Will Hutton and Michael White)

The rest I dont care
    Forum Member
    Haven't read the Mirror for years but from memory Routledge is a complete shill for Brown and was forever carping at Blair during his leadership.

Routledge is resolutely 'old' labour and a bit of a 'professional Northerner' to boot, but he can be quite entertaining.
    He's clearly proud of being an old luddite.
    Forum Member
    Carole Malone has returned to the Sunday Mirror and is still as reactionary, and crap, as ever.
    Another one who "speaks her mind", even though she has nothing in her mind that we want to hear about.