O2 / BE Migrations to Sky Network start in October

Comments

• SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    i guess the 50p is generate after the bill. you could still switch to DD and not have to pay it.

i also got my first bill today. O2 charged you in advance too. so in theory there is a refund coming.

i had never seen my account number before, but was able to sign in with the link in the email they sent.

My first Sky bill was for the part current month (i.e. since the changeover), plus the whole next month in advance.

I then got an O2 bill (on paper, for some reason, but with Sky letterhead + O2 contact details) for the part month *before* the changeover. (O2 charged, on or about the 24th, for the current month, IIRC).

So, it seemed like a large sum on the face of it, but if you sat down and checked it, it all seemed correct.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Sambda wrote: »
    My first Sky bill was for the part current month (i.e. since the changeover), plus the whole next month in advance.

I then got an O2 bill (on paper, for some reason, but with Sky letterhead + O2 contact details) for the part month *before* the changeover. (O2 charged, on or about the 24th, for the current month, IIRC).

So, it seemed like a large sum on the face of it, but if you sat down and checked it, it all seemed correct.

how strange. o2 billed me in advance for a full month. changed half way through and sky billed me for a month and a half.

-If you have not done so already, you will also receive your final bill from O2/BE for the final month before you transferred. This bill may include a refund for the days of service from O2/BE that had been paid in advance since you switched to Sky.

so i'm expecting the next billing cycle to include a couple of weeks' rebate.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    how strange. o2 billed me in advance for a full month. changed half way through and sky billed me for a month and a half.

-If you have not done so already, you will also receive your final bill from O2/BE for the final month before you transferred. This bill may include a refund for the days of service from O2/BE that had been paid in advance since you switched to Sky.

so i'm expecting the next billing cycle to include a couple of weeks' rebate.

It's probably down to whether they took your payment before you moved (in which case they probably took the whole month and thus owe you for the period after the move), or were due to take it afterwards (in which case you owe them for the period before the move only).

But I've just checked and I was definitely regularly paying about the 22nd or so for the current month I had with O2.
  • timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the dreaded email today with my new Sky static IP address. Anyone any idea how long I have now before I get switched over to Sky's network with downgraded upload speeds? There was no date about when the switch over would happen.

And just to make matters worse, FTTC for my phone line has just been pushed back from 31-Mar-2014 to 31-Dec-2014...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Sky are stripping people of multiple IP addresses and giving them a single one (thanks Sky, you really are a wonderful company).

So what options do those people have now they've been butt hurt by Sky?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a letter saying I was due to be switched over to Sky on 21st March, a week later I was still on BE so I called Sky broadband CS. The guy I spoke to had absolutely no idea who BE/BeThere broadband was and knew nothing about Sky taking over BE and BE customers being migrated over to Sky's network. Called the next day and managed to speak to someone who vaguely knew what they were talking about but were unsure as to why I was still on the BE network.
    1st of April I finally got switched over to Sky and was pretty annoyed to find my download had dropped from 14Mbps with BE down to 8.6Mbps. So I headed over to the Sky forums where there seems a whole load of complaints from ex-BE users, with Sky staff not answering questions, staff contradicting each other and a general atmosphere of confusion. The general consensus was that Sky operate a DLM system though it's only for those who have also taken Sky's phone services, if you don't allow Sky to hijack your line then you're line profile won't be optimised.
    It now turns out a lot of that is nonsense, all BE users migrated over onto Sky broadband pro get DLM as part of the setup process, after you've created a Sky account with a Sky ID you get a "Broadband Pro" option in your account settings which will allow you to switch between a static or dynamic IP, access to Broadband Shield (which you can set to 18 or even turn off completely if you don't want Sky nannying your content), and they are in the process of setting up user controlled line profile customisation similar to the option offered by BE.

Aside from the disappointing customer support the broadband service itself seems pretty good. Within 48 hours the DLM had settled down and I'm now getting 14-16.5Mbps download, the upload isn't as great with 0.8-1.1Mbps upload.
    The only annoyance I've found is that Sky's dynamic IP's change far more regularly than BE's and as someone who uses UnblockUS to watch overseas content I'm finding myself regularly having to login and reconfirm my IP for Netflix and Hulu to work outside of the US, so I may have to switch to the static IP.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linea wrote: »
    I got a letter saying I was due to be switched over to Sky on 21st March, a week later I was still on BE so I called Sky broadband CS. The guy I spoke to had absolutely no idea who BE/BeThere broadband was and knew nothing about Sky taking over BE and BE customers being migrated over to Sky's network. Called the next day and managed to speak to someone who vaguely knew what they were talking about but were unsure as to why I was still on the BE network.
    1st of April I finally got switched over to Sky and was pretty annoyed to find my download had dropped from 14Mbps with BE down to 8.6Mbps. So I headed over to the Sky forums where there seems a whole load of complaints from ex-BE users, with Sky staff not answering questions, staff contradicting each other and a general atmosphere of confusion. The general consensus was that Sky operate a DLM system though it's only for those who have also taken Sky's phone services, if you don't allow Sky to hijack your line then you're line profile won't be optimised.
    It now turns out a lot of that is nonsense, all BE users migrated over onto Sky broadband pro get DLM as part of the setup process, after you've created a Sky account with a Sky ID you get a "Broadband Pro" option in your account settings which will allow you to switch between a static or dynamic IP, access to Broadband Shield (which you can set to 18 or even turn off completely if you don't want Sky nannying your content), and they are in the process of setting up user controlled line profile customisation similar to the option offered by BE.

Aside from the disappointing customer support the broadband service itself seems pretty good. Within 48 hours the DLM had settled down and I'm now getting 14-16.5Mbps download, the upload isn't as great with 0.8-1.1Mbps upload.
    The only annoyance I've found is that Sky's dynamic IP's change far more regularly than BE's and as someone who uses UnblockUS to watch overseas content I'm finding myself regularly having to login and reconfirm my IP for Netflix and Hulu to work outside of the US, so I may have to switch to the static IP.

Seems that Sky have some right muppetts in their customer services department.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About to move on monday, sky haven't give me a hub <rolleyes> so im going to have to use the bebox i have now.

I am being put on a dynamic IP address and not a static one, what are the settings i will need to put in the box on this router so i have them before the line is switched?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    About to move on monday, sky haven't give me a hub <rolleyes> so im going to have to use the bebox i have now.

I am being put on a dynamic IP address and not a static one, what are the settings i will need to put in the box on this router so i have them before the line is switched?

Your BEbox will be fine, I'm using mine and have had no issues with it. If you're desperate to have a Sky hub you could ask Sky to see if they'll give you one, or you can pick up new and unused ones off ebay for as little as £20.
    You don't need to do anything with the box's settings Sky will update the box over the line with new firmware automatically, all you need to do is just leave the BEbox switched on and connected to the line. You should have got a letter from Sky which tells you this.
    If you're on Sky broadband pro and want to switch from a dynamic to a static IP you can do it online. Just go to sky.com and create a Sky ID and an account, then go into my sky > broadband pro > and just select the static IP option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just a reset of the switch on the back of the box when my internet goes off later? i hope i get the speeds i am now with sky, i know there is a DLM training period but if i get crap with them after the move after a short period then i'm off from them.

Speedtest.net i get over 10meg so we shall see how much speed i can get out of them. I've been reading the comments on the forum about BE/02 users migrating over and most of the comments are :o:o even probs with getting throughput are :o

I won't hold my breath >:(
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You probably won't get the same speeds. I know I don't and many others see to have the same issue. The sync is slower by a little bit but the all round performance is much slower. I'm assuming it's their traffic management as you can't now use 2 devices at same time without one suffering some buffering issue.

But it works and is cheap at the moment so will put up with it.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    You probably won't get the same speeds. I know I don't and many others see to have the same issue. The sync is slower by a little bit but the all round performance is much slower. I'm assuming it's their traffic management as you can't now use 2 devices at same time without one suffering some buffering issue.

But it works and is cheap at the moment so will put up with it.

I got exactly the same dl speeds as with O2 but lower ul speeds. Only noticed slow-down once but don't suffer any constant buffering issues and I pretty much always have between 2-4 devices connected at any one time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swapped over at 1.15pm, one I cannot get on the internet and 2 the router speed is down 2meg wtf :mad:

Uptime: 0 days, 0:02:46
    DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 798 / 4,088
    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 1.25 / 1.63
    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 10.5 / 18.6
    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.3 / 40.0
    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.5 / 7.6
    System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
    Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / BDCM
    Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Link (Remote): -
    Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 12,535
    CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
    HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 the router speed is down 2meg wtf :mad:

Mine started low when I first changed over but increased over a few days. It's line testing and it's normal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not having any problems with loading websites like here, facebook, bbc etc they just seem normal as before but it's just i have to put up with 18th centuary dial up speeds >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not having any problems with loading websites like here, facebook, bbc etc they just seem normal as before but it's just i have to put up with 18th centuary dial up speeds >:(

4 meg down is nothing like dial-up speeds... Prone to over-exaggeration much? :D

Anyway, as I said, you're in the line-test period. It's normal. Chill out.
    Forum Member
    ADSL2+ line testing phase myth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ADSL2+ line testing phase myth.

Hadn't picked up on that... Was just going off what I'd been told by internet folk when my speed dropped after changing providers the past two times :blush:

So, what's the craic?
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Hadn't picked up on that... Was just going off what I'd been told by internet folk when my speed dropped after changing providers the past two times :blush:

I'm no expert. but i am not aware of any line training/testing phase with adsl2+

i think it's a hangover from adsl. you do hear people refer to it all the time.

adsl2+ syncs at the best speed it can to get the target SNR. usually 6. with the old adsl it would sync at what it was told to. and they would profile the line setting the target speed gradually higher until it became unstable.

off SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.5 / 7.6 there is probably another 500 available by just restarting the router.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can no longer get on the BE* forum now unless i go through another route, it also seems that BE* have refunded me £10.41 on the account too :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine started low when I first changed over but increased over a few days. It's line testing and it's normal.

How long have you been on it now and is your speed better?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long have you been on it now and is your speed better?

I jumped ship last year. My Sky dl speed matched my O2 dl speed within a few days, I think. Certainly no more than 4 days... Now, apart from the ul being lower, the dl speed is no different to what it used to be on O2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I jumped ship last year. My Sky dl speed matched my O2 dl speed within a few days, I think. Certainly no more than 4 days... Now, apart from the ul being lower, the dl speed is no different to what it used to be on O2.

Hope i get the same then i can stop moaning :o:D
  • timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was moved from Be to Sky last week using my existing Be modem there was no line training, just a decrease in upload speed and slight improvement in download (due to no Annex M).

However, a friend who moved house last week had Sky installed at their new place which started syncing the Sky Hub at 4Mb/s when I connected it up and over a few days eventually settled at about 10MB/s.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Yeah ive been switched, i was getting an upload of 1.05 Mb/s according to speedtest.net, but now only getting 0.69 Mb/s.

Just a little update on this, had another re-sync about 20+ hrs ago now, and my uploads finally gone back to its normal 1mb, was stuck at 800 ever since the migrate, and ive also had a slight increase in download speed as well.