VGA - laptop to TV issue

Hi

Having trouble getting audio from my TV when connecting my laptop to it with a VGA cable. I want to watch Netflix on there and I know you need something extra to get audio from your TV instead of laptop speakers.

I got this: http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/l140/pict/280883907250_4.jpg But then I realised my TV (which is new!) doesn’t have an audio jack.

So I got this scart adaptor: http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/l140/pict/130943168546_1.jpg But the above audio jack is too big to fit in the holes.

Can someone tell me what I need that will connect properly to my laptop and to my TV? It has a HDMI socket, but does HDMI cables allow you to get the sound from the TV? Or would I need a VGA or HDMI cable with one end with those 3 plug things for picture and sound that will fit into my scart adaptor?

As you can tell, I’m not an expert at this! Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankie-J wrote: »
    Hi

Having trouble getting audio from my TV when connecting my laptop to it with a VGA cable. I want to watch Netflix on there and I know you need something extra to get audio from your TV instead of laptop speakers.

I got this: http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/l140/pict/280883907250_4.jpg But then I realised my TV (which is new!) doesn’t have an audio jack.

So I got this scart adaptor: http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/l140/pict/130943168546_1.jpg But the above audio jack is too big to fit in the holes.

Can someone tell me what I need that will connect properly to my laptop and to my TV? It has a HDMI socket, but does HDMI cables allow you to get the sound from the TV? Or would I need a VGA or HDMI cable with one end with those 3 plug things for picture and sound that will fit into my scart adaptor?

HDMI carries audio. Does your laptop have a HDMI output?
    best posting the model of laptop and TV
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie-J wrote: »
    Hi

Make/model of TV and laptop would help.

If the TV has a VGA socket on the back then it is almost certain that it has an audio input associated with it. Usually in the form of a 3.5mm jack but could be a pair of phonos.

It should be fairly obvious what socket(s) the audio input uses. Either by a label saying something like PC AUDIO or by having the audio and VGA sockets surrounded by a box printed on the back of the telly.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't to easily do VGA to HDMI, despite the fact that some people will sell you a cable!
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to be clear, coz no-one else has said it: the VGA socket on the back on your computer does not output sound, no matter what cable you plug into it.

You could do VGA to Scart, but the VGA end would have to have a 3.5 inch jack to plug into your laptop headphone socket. Your second thing should work, take VGA to Scart and get a mini-jack to phono to carry the audio.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,270
    Forum Member
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    Just to be clear, coz no-one else has said it: the VGA socket on the back on your computer does not output sound, no matter what cable you plug into it.

You could do VGA to Scart, but the VGA end would have to have a 3.5 inch jack to plug into your laptop headphone socket. Your second thing should work, take VGA to Scart and get a mini-jack to phono to carry the audio.

You can't do VGA to SCART, they are entirely different and incompatible.

There are two solutions, depending on his laptop and TV.

1) HDMI - simple HDMI to HDMI lead between the two, carries both sound and picture. You normally have to set your laptop to sent audio over it though,, as the default is usually no audio over HDMI,

2) VGA - use a VGA to VGA lead for the picture, and a 3.5mm stereo jack to jack for the sound - if the TV has VGA it 'should' have an associated 3.5mm audio in socket.

1.5) Had an extra thought - HDMI lead for picture, and 3.5mm stereo jack to jack lead for the sound (the VGA 3.5mm jack input usually doubles as a separate audio input for HDMI as well). But it would make MUCH more sense simply to alter the audio setting on the laptop.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Audio from PC to scart in is simple enought, using a simply 3.5 mm jack to phono jack lead (two phono outputs for left right - these would attach to white and red inputs on scart adaptor.

Similarly vga to TV is ok assuming it has a vga input socket.

Biggest issue is getting both to work at same time, as you can normally only select one input source at a time. You have to try it I guess to be certain.

Unless TV has a specific audio input slot, I am not sure this is possible without spending a lot of money.

As stated above HDMI does it all, and with High Definition.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't see why you can't do VGA to SCART? I've never tried it but Googling brings up loads of VGA to Composite cables and SCART does composite perfectly well.

I might be wrong, of course.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,474
    Forum Member
    I have done it but the result is not brilliant. Think sub-dodgy-blackmarket-VHS quality.
  • redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    Don't see why you can't do VGA to SCART? I've never tried it but Googling brings up loads of VGA to Composite cables and SCART does composite perfectly well.

I might be wrong, of course.
    Maplins sell VGA to TV kits for about 25-30 quid. They work fine - no issues with quality