Has anyone got any experience of living and working in Japan?

Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
Forum Member
As the title says. :)

I'm an EFL teacher and at 35 years old am very much stuck in a rut and thinking of doing a year teaching in Japan, possibly Kyoto or suburban Tokyo.

I've never been east before and frankly, as I get older, find the idea of going abroad again much more terrifying than I did in my twenties.

However I love the Japanese food, culture, and have experience in teaching Japanese students; and I honestly can't think of one thing that's not to love about the country, except for its complete opposite-ness to the UK of course- which is all part of the adventure.

If you've lived and worked in Japan I'd love some honest feedback.

:)

Comments

• thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend has, sorry it has to come from a secondary source, and she loves it. I have recently come back after 8 months living and working in Thailand and that was AMAZING!! I'm saving up to go back again: had to return my sister & friends wedding - I'm bridesmaid both times - and I'm going to be an Auntie again, I didn't feel I could miss those things.
    Go for it, there is nothing stopping you.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As the title says. :)

I'm an EFL teacher and at 35 years old am very much stuck in a rut and thinking of doing a year teaching in Japan, possibly Kyoto or suburban Tokyo.

I've never been east before and frankly, as I get older, find the idea of going abroad again much more terrifying than I did in my twenties.

However I love the Japanese food, culture, and have experience in teaching Japanese students; and I honestly can't think of one thing that's not to love about the country, except for its complete opposite-ness to the UK of course- which is all part of the adventure.

If you've lived and worked in Japan I'd love some honest feedback.

:)

There is a Japanese Festival in Brighton this week.

http://www.brightonjapan.com/
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    There is a Japanese Festival in Brighton this week.

http://www.brightonjapan.com/

Thank you for the heads up! :)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the heads up! :)

どういたしまして
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    どういたしまして

Har har...mind you don't scare me off now. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    A few school friends have ended up in various positions (gosh that sounds rude, I mean work roles!) across Asia. All bar the one in Tokyo have returned home - she's been there 8 or 9 years now and loves it, says its a lot to get used to, particularly the bustle (we are countryside kids!) but worth it.