Peep Show: 10th Birthday

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
Forum Member
It was Peep Show's 10th birthday last week. Anyone else surprised that nothing was done to celebrate this fact on Channel 4?

I would have loved a retrospective on Mark and Jeremy who have (and still do) bring me pleasure and squirms in equal measure.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't care less. I enjoyed Peep Show back in the day, but they dragged it on far too long.

The last series was abysmal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Happily for some of us, they intend to 'drag it on' for a bit longer, I understand!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Peep Show, it's one of those where I can watch episodes I've seen countless times before & still enjoy them.

The last series was cack though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola_T wrote: »

i read this in the newspaper the other day
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder when they will write the last series? All been a bit quiet I'm sure I read they are leaving it open for a return later on?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still like it, but I think Mark losing his job was a big mistake. He is much better when working as a drone. Also, for some reason, David Mitchell played him in a very different way in the last series, which was rather off-putting - he was much less likeable than before.

Still, happy birthday. I look forward to more, so long as Super Hans stops going on about his bloody twins. He's always mentioning them.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still like it, but I think Mark losing his job was a big mistake. He is much better when working as a drone. Also, for some reason, David Mitchell played him in a very different way in the last series, which was very off-putting.

Still, happy birthday. I look forward to more, so long as Super Hans stops going on about his bloody twins. He's always mentioning them.

Yes looking back the job loss changed the show. It had good episodes but never a full decent series. When they started doing things like That Mitchell and Webb Look and making movies I felt they left the tv series behind which is a shame.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can kind of see why they made Mark lose his job. His storylines had become a bit samey so they were trying to shake things up. Unfortunately they then continued for 3 whole series with him not getting another job but randomly trying loads of different things. Some were funny but some weren't so it became hit and miss.

The last series had some funny episodes but I think losing several characters that had been in it a while like Johnson, Sophie, Gerard and Big Suze all at the same time changed the dynamic too much. They then tried to fill the gaps by bunging in a load of previously minor characters like Dobbies ex Simon, Marks sister Sara and the handyman Andy and it didn't quite work.

Series 9 is apparently not planned to be aired till next year. Considering series 8 aired at the end of 2012 it's going to be close to 2 1/2 years before it returns. There's never been such a big gap between any previous series. I'm wondering if they're trying to find a time when they can bring a load of the older characters back for one last hurrah. The main reason the likes of Paterson Joseph, Sophie Winkleman and Olivia Colman began appearing less and less was because they started to find success with other projects.

Hopefully when the show does return it can go out with a bang.