The British Empire was evil

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
Forum Member
They had no right to enter other countries and colonize them, so I don't see why people are proud of it.

They always use the "other countries did it too" excuse; just because others were doing it, doesn't mean that the British had to do it as well.

The British Empire and the other European empires put people who hated each other in the same country, because of that lots of civil wars were fought in Africa in the 20th Century.

They murdered everyone who disagreed with them, just look at India and Kenya when they wanted independence.

They built infrastructure to make it easier to transport the resources of the colonies.

They stole the resources and are still doing it now, look at countries like Ghana; the British stole their gold and oil.

Comments

• kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Oh no, not another guilt-trip down memory lane.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    I shall immediately write a sternly worded letter to ... someone.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, dear.

But you weren't around so don't feel responsible. :rolleyes:
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [....
  • gocompletelynutgocompletelynut Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had no right to enter other countries and colonize them, so I don't see why people are proud of it.

They always use the "other countries did it too" excuse; just because others were doing it, doesn't mean that the British had to do it as well.

The British Empire and the other European empires put people who hated each other in the same country, because of that lots of civil wars were fought in Africa in the 20th Century.

They murdered everyone who disagreed with them, just look at India and Kenya when they wanted independence.

They built infrastructure to make it easier to transport the resources of the colonies.

They stole the resources and are still doing it now, look at countries like Ghana; the British stole their gold and oil.

Education in this country has a lot to answer for.
  • wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the answer to a homework question?
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:) In other words " A little learning is a dangerous thing".
    There is a lot of it about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    What do you mean?
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Stiff competition from Spain. Besides we learnt from the masters -- Rome.
    Forum Member
    What do you mean?

What they mean is that your opening post reads like the excited ramblings of a year 8 pupil who has just been taught this at school but barely understands it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without it we wouldn't have had Empire biscuits so it wasn't all bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Quit livin' in the past man.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    What they mean is that your opening post reads like the excited ramblings of a year 8 pupil who has just been taught this at school but doesn't understand it.

Fixed that for you.:D

I thought there was renewed interest in history, what with all these TV programmes etc. Some people just can't be bothered to actually read about anything, it seems.
    Forum Member
    Fixed that for you.:D

I thought there was renewed interest in history, what with all these TV programmes etc. Some people just can't be bothered to actually read about anything, it seems.

Thanks Trsvis, I was trying to be kind. :D
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sith Empire was bettter.
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,222
    Forum Member
    Would you eat a Mint Imperial?
    Forum Member
    vinba wrote: »
    If by 'murder' you mean 'allowed to live' and 'mostly listened to' then some of your argument is correct.
    The British attempted to kill everyone who wanted to leave the dictatorship.

Fact.
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member

what about the romans and the vikings they empires they came the uk .
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,165
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    Oh no, not another guilt-trip down memory lane.

Well hang on. People make jokes and make comments about France & Germany's history here everyday. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. This country did do horrible things. Should we dwell on it? No. Should we pretend it never happened? No.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

Fact.
    I am a giraffe.

Fact.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    Stiff competition from Spain. Besides we learnt from the masters -- Rome.

Aggressive defense - learnt the hard way.
    Forum Member
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    what about the romans and the vikings they empires they came the uk .
    Which makes the British hypocrites, because they did the same to other people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fact.

I blame Livingston & Stanley. They started the whole goddamn thing! :mad:
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

Fact.

You sure about that? Show your working please.
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Well hang on. People make jokes and make comments about France & Germany's history here everyday. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. This country did do horrible things. Should we dwell on it? No. Should we pretend it never happened? No.

I don't see anything jokey in the OP post. Just the usual hand-wringing and guilt-laden self-loathing covered with a liberal spreading of pure ignorance and error.