Do you have a Degree? If so...

JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

Do you have a Degree? If so, what Degree do you have and are you now in a job that has anything to do with said Degree?

Do you feel like your Degree was a waste of time and hasn't helped further your career at all? Or was it one of the best decisons you made?

I'm considering going to Uni ;)

Comments

• ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Yes. Applied Software Engineering. Yes
    No. Probably.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geography, no relevance to my career, but will help me advance to higher level jobs that require them.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    English. Yes, my job is relevant to my degree.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a Degree? If so, what Degree do you have and are you now in a job that has anything to do with said Degree?

Do you feel like your Degree was a waste of time and hasn't helped further your career at all? Or was it one of the best decisons you made?

I have a Joint BS Hons in Ancient & Modern History. it wasn't a waste of time...but it was MANY years before it was of any use to me as I didn't want to teach or stay in academe...

A vacany notice for a Servicedesk Manager's job appeared on the notice board of the computer company I worked in; one of the qualifiactions was a third-level degree...NOT in anything job-related though!

I queried this...and was told it was just to demonstrate your capacity to learn and study independently etc...so my history degree helped get me the job in the end! Three very happy years...

And two REALLY shitty ones! :p
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, law and, yes, most of my work has been law-based since I did the degree.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No i come from an age when you left school at 15, i decided to work in the city (of London)... so got on a train went to a job agency they asked you what you wanted to do, looked through their box of vacancies phoned a company you went straight round for an interview and they gave you the job there and then!....

I have worked all my adult life except for a year off in 1994 after being made redundant and i had another 5 years off after being made redundant again in 2005... luckily enough i have been working again for the last 3 years although i am now a pensioner and only need/want to work part time... :)

I'm sorry i know my work years have no bearing on your decisions John but!... hey!.. i enjoyed writing all that!....:D
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Read Social Anthropology.

To answer the second question, not really. :)
    Forum Member
    mklass wrote: »
    No i come from an age when you left school at 15, i decided to work in the city (of London)... so got on a train went to a job agency they asked you what you wanted to do, looked through their box of vacancies phoned a company you went straight round for an interview and they gave you the job there and then!....

I have worked all my adult life except for a year off in 1994 after being made redundant and i had another 5 years off after being made redundant again in 2005... luckily enough i have been working again for the last 3 years although i am now a pensioner and only need/want to work part time... :)

I'm sorry i know my work years have no bearing on your decisions John but!... hey!.. i enjoyed writing all that!....:D

How did that work though? Surely you had to be qualified for the job? I mean you couldn't just say 'oh I want to work in advertising' or 'I want to be a journalist'. I presume it was general admin. type work?
  • JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies!
    English. Yes, my job is relevant to my degree.

Can I aask what your job is? English Language is one of the Degrees I am interested in.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I have a ° in pooters but I rarely speak of it let alone use it.
  • LeewichLeewich Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a BA in Journalism. I only left in May, haven't got a full time job yet but I had this feeling it was a waste of time all the way through.
  • brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I studied primary education at Canterbury university. All was going well until my final placement where a 5 yr old sat on my lap while I was reading a story. I didn't think anything of it at the time, neither did my mentor who was the class teacher. However, the mum complained and then a full investigation took place and while I was found innocent it put me off of teaching for life.

I now work as a shop manager. Having a degree had nothing to do with the job I have. Some jobs require a degree such as a lawyer, or doctor but other than that there is no benefit of a degree unless the degree Iis directly related to the job you wish to persue.

Uni was a good way to meet new people move out of home and learn to fend for yourself, learn new skills and have some great nights out. Its a good way to enjoy your youth lots of associations and clubs to meet all sort of people and descover who you are but it costs one hell of a lot nower days.

Personally id stay at home, find a job you like doing that has opportunities to progress and save up for a mortgage. If you are looking at uni purely for career aspects.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Web & Graphic Design

No, I now work in IT

Total waste of time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I don't have a degree but I am in nearly full-time employment.
    Forum Member
    JOHNOR wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies!

Can I aask what your job is? English Language is one of the Degrees I am interested in.

I can't be too specific as I don't want to out myself. I write and research material for someone quite well known. To be honest, I think it was more my writing ability than my degree that actually got me the job, but the English degree is certainly very relevant to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a degree, have a full time job but plan on going uni for two years. Maybe I am making a mistake.
  • The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a PhD. And use it daily
  • anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have three - BA politics, MSc social policy (with an emphasis on probation studies), PhD criminology (with a focus on youth prisons). And yes - relevant - work in criminal justice research.

But I never went to university to get a job - I went to take drugs, have sex and develop strange political affiliations.

Clearly wasn't a waste of time but my qualifications will never make me rich.
  • DbarDbar Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have a 2:1. i use it at work
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did that work though? Surely you had to be qualified for the job? I mean you couldn't just say 'oh I want to work in advertising' or 'I want to be a journalist'. I presume it was general admin. type work?

Yes it was, i didn't unfortunately have any great aspirations job wise at that age!, in fact we had someone come in our school presumably from whatever job centres they were in those days and i remember him saying!, 'where do you want to work? in a factory or a shop' .. neither of which appealed to me so as i lived in a London suburb that was how i came to take the train into the city...

What they would do in the agencies was to look and see what sort of vacancies they had that was fairly relevant to the person and say 'i have this, do you fancy that?'.. and if you did they phoned the company and 'sold' you to them!.. i remember a particular agency called the three t's who dealt with telephonists, typist, and telex operators, now i had had a month standing in on a switchboard at lunchtimes and really liked it so thought i would try and get job just doing that!..so i went into this agency and said 'i had 3 months experience', he phoned a company and said i had 6 months experience!..:eek: anyway round i trotted to this shipping company for my interview and the supervisor said 'i can see you know a switchboard the way you handle the plugs!..:D....

So got the job and started on my long career in customer related jobs and i am still doing that sort of thing now!..

My mother always used to say!, 'talk your way in' and then if you are 'quick on the uptake' you will soon master it!....;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Web Development with a 2.2 grade. I use those skills for freelance work.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first 2 careers had nothing to do with my first two degrees. My current career is inextricable from my PhD, so they were all worth it in the long run.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,041
    Forum Member
    Chemistry to Ph D. Nothing to do with my career, but the scientific background and skills were vital to where I have got to.

Unless there is a clear career path (law, medicine etc), I'd always encourage people to study things they have a passion for - a well run course should deliver all the things you need, regardless of topic
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Environmental Studies and Social Biology.

My last job was working for Defra where the "e" stands for environment but the job did not require applicants to have a degree in anything.

My 3 years at Uni were the best years of my life but the qualification hasn't really opened doors. I wished I had studied earlier (I was 37 when I graduated) and for longer.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avionics Engineering.

As I work in the aviation industry, I do make a lot of use of it - being a Chartered Engineer is mandatory, and to get this you pretty much need either a degree or a heck of a lot of experience and formal training.

And its very financially rewarding indeed.

I also do freelance work on the side, which is also very rewarding both financial and job satisfaction.