Options

Simple Soups?

Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
Forum Member
My Husband is soon to have quite a major operation and so I am thinking ahead and trying to get myself organised.

I was thinking that whilst he recovers I could give him some nutritious soup for lunches...perhaps soups full of veg of some sort?.....to help his body heal.

So does anyone here have any simple but tasty recipes for healthy soups, perhaps soup that could be frozen too?

Comments

• Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simplest of all...

2 cartons of passata
    1 large onion
    oregano
    teaspoon of sugar

Sweat the onions, add passata and oregano, simmer for half and hour, blitz. add a swirl of creme fraiche when served
  • Options
    newbabynewbaby Posts: 826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    My Husband is soon to have quite a major operation and so I am thinking ahead and trying to get myself organised.

I was thinking that whilst he recovers I could give him some nutritious soup for lunches...perhaps soups full of veg of some sort?.....to help his body heal.

So does anyone here have any simple but tasty recipes for healthy soups, perhaps soup that could be frozen too?

My father isn't at all well and soup is numero uno for doing exactly what you say - nutritious, packed full of veggies and easy to swallow/digest.

What I've learnt in my little Soup Kitchen is that you don't need to worry about making gallons of homemade stock. I discovered a bit of a cheat: I chuck in chunks of leek/carrot/parsnip/spuds/onions/a big bunch of parsley PLUS a good-sized chicken thigh (bone in/skin on: I buy a pack of 6 and freeze them individually, to use as and when). Pour on enough water to cover everything, add a chicken stock cube (or one of those jelly stock pot things). Bring to the boil and then simmer gently until veg & chicken thigh are cooked. Remove chicken thigh and shred the flesh. Put chicken, veg and cooking liquid into a liquidiser and give it a good blitz until absolutely smooth. If freezing, when defrosted, you will need to thin down with a bit of milk. Check seasoning.

Another version is potato cut into chunks plus onion. Again, stock cube and water to cover. When veg is cooked, add a can of sweet corn. Then blitz as above. (You can do the Chicken Thigh Cheat with this, as well).

And frozen peas (with lots of mint) make a yummy soup...and I sometimes add left over mashed potato to the peas while they're cooking (with a stock cube!). Then whiz it all up.

It does, of course, slightly depend on what your husband likes/is appropriate after the op.

Checking the seasoning is key!

Hope this is helpful. And fingers crossed all goes well with the op.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    postit wrote: »
    Simplest of all...

2 cartons of passata
    1 large onion
    oregano
    teaspoon of sugar

Sweat the onions, add passata and oregano, simmer for half and hour, blitz. add a swirl of creme fraiche when served

Wow that couldn't be simpler :) thanks for that he does love tomatoes so shall give it a go.
    newbaby wrote: »
    My father isn't at all well and soup is numero uno for doing exactly what you say - nutritious, packed full of veggies and easy to swallow/digest.

What I've learnt in my little Soup Kitchen is that you don't need to worry about making gallons of homemade stock. I discovered a bit of a cheat: I chuck in chunks of leek/carrot/parsnip/spuds/onions/a big bunch of parsley PLUS a good-sized chicken thigh (bone in/skin on: I buy a pack of 6 and freeze them individually, to use as and when). Pour on enough water to cover everything, add a chicken stock cube (or one of those jelly stock pot things). Bring to the boil and then simmer gently until veg & chicken thigh are cooked. Remove chicken thigh and shred the flesh. Put chicken, veg and cooking liquid into a liquidiser and give it a good blitz until absolutely smooth. If freezing, when defrosted, you will need to thin down with a bit of milk. Check seasoning.

Another version is potato cut into chunks plus onion. Again, stock cube and water to cover. When veg is cooked, add a can of sweet corn. Then blitz as above. (You can do the Chicken Thigh Cheat with this, as well).

And frozen peas (with lots of mint) make a yummy soup...and I sometimes add left over mashed potato to the peas while they're cooking (with a stock cube!). Then whiz it all up.

It does, of course, slightly depend on what your husband likes/is appropriate after the op.

Checking the seasoning is key!

Hope this is helpful. And fingers crossed all goes well with the op.

Thank you newbaby lots of simple good tips from you too, I do like the chicken thigh cheat-idea and will probably buy a pack and freeze them as you suggested.

Thank you for your good wishes and I hope your Father is soon feeling better too.:)
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is a great book for soup recipes
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Soups-Michael-van-Straten/dp/1840005521/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384363594&sr=8-1&keywords=Super+soups

From the description:
    "Super Soups" advises on how to maximize nutrition to boost every aspect of your lifestyle...........this text then suggests a range of soups using ingredients that help to aid circulation, skin, moods, weight and the immune system. Also included are a chapter on garnishes to accompany the soups and A-Z charts listing the curative powers of soups for a range of common ailments."
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you stud u like for posting those - I sort of know what you mean about not needing a recipe, but the first and only time I ever made soup years ago it tasted vile so I think my confidence was knocked somewhat.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make what I call my store cupboard soup.

I Onion finel chopped
    2-3 Carrots washed and finely chopped
    Whatever else I have in the fridge e.g. leeks, celery, parsnip etc.
    2-3 Tomatoes peeled and chopped

Sweat the Onion in a tablespoon of oil
    Add the carrot and other veg cook for a short while
    Add the tomatoes
    Add enough vegetable (Marigold Swiss Veg Boullion) or chicken stock (a chicken carcass simmered and strained) and cook till the vegetables are tender.

Add seasoning to taste and blend to the desired consistency.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    Leek & potato is easy

Slice a couple of leeks, and soften with a little oil.

Peel and cube potatoes. Change the amount depending on how 'leeky' you like your soup

Add water, a stock cube, and pepper.

Boil until the spuds are soft, then blitz
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watercress soup is very restorative and easy

Couple of bunches of watecress, some cream, some stock and a leek and potato and seasoning. Just cook and blitz in a blender. I sometimes add blue cheese.

It's health benefits:
    Watercress contains significant amounts of iron, calcium, iodine, and folic acid, in addition to vitamins A and C.[5] Because it is relatively rich in Vitamin C, watercress was suggested (among other plants) by English military surgeon John Woodall (1570–1643) as a remedy for scurvy.

Many benefits from eating watercress are claimed, such as that it acts as a stimulant, a source of phytochemicals and antioxidants, a diuretic, an expectorant, and a digestive aid.[6] It also appears to have antiangiogenic cancer-suppressing properties; it is widely believed to help defend against lung cancer.[7][8][9][10] A 2010 study conducted by the University of Southampton found that consumption of watercress may also inhibit the growth of breast cancer.[11] The content of phenethyl isothiocyanate (PEITC) in watercress inhibits HIF, which can inhibit angiogenesis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is a great book for soup recipes
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Soups-Michael-van-Straten/dp/1840005521/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384363594&sr=8-1&keywords=Super+soups

From the description:
    "Super Soups" advises on how to maximize nutrition to boost every aspect of your lifestyle...........this text then suggests a range of soups using ingredients that help to aid circulation, skin, moods, weight and the immune system. Also included are a chapter on garnishes to accompany the soups and A-Z charts listing the curative powers of soups for a range of common ailments."

That books looks interesting, who would have thought soup could be so medicinal :)
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Leek & potato is easy

Slice a couple of leeks, and soften with a little oil.

Peel and cube potatoes. Change the amount depending on how 'leeky' you like your soup

Add water, a stock cube, and pepper.

Boil until the spuds are soft, then blitz

Cheers for that :)
    kimindex wrote: »
    Watercress soup is very restorative and easy

Couple of bunches of watecress, some cream, some stock and a leek and potato and seasoning. Just cook and blitz in a blender. I sometimes add blue cheese.

It's health benefits:

Watercress sounds like a superfood :cool: I shall try it as I am in need of iron too, I also love blue cheese.

Thanks everyone.....I just can't wait to get started now :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sauté onion, leeks, carrot, celery and swede then cover with about 1-1.5l chicken stock. Simmer for about 25mins. While that's cooking I roast a chicken breast quarter and then shred it and add it to the soup with a handful of pasta. It's my favourite soup ever, and it tastes of pure goodness, great for when you're not well and I always keep some in the freezer.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member

I can't answer your question but I think your lovely:)
  • Options
    Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do something similar to postit, but I add a handful of frozen diced mixed veg, and a few bits of broken up pasta, quick minestrone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 onion, peeled and chopped
    1 tbsp olive oil
    4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 head of broccoli, stalks trimmed and cut into florets
    1l chicken stock
    250ml single cream
    Mature cheddar cheese, grated (or any other cheese e.g. blue cheese crumbled, stilton etc)
    salt and black pepper

Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot and add the onions. Cook until soft and golden in colour.
    Add the potatoes and continue to stir for a few minutes.
    Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
    Add the broccoli florets and reduce to simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes and broccoli are soft.
    Blend until smooth and then stir in the cream.
    Continue to simmer on a low heat and gradually add the cheese stirring continuously for around 10 minutes.
    Season and serve with croutons and some cheese sprinkled on top.
  • Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    Simplest of all...

2 cartons of passata
    1 large onion
    oregano
    teaspoon of sugar

This plus put in a handful of short grain rice at the sweating stage . Cook until the rice is cooked and soft. Then blitz. If you want it really smooth, pass through a sieve

I often add a chopped up stick of celery in with the onion and a clove of garlic
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Cabbage & Coriander.

Packed with vitamins (thanks to the cabbage) but has a hint of spice with the coriander.
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    butternut squash soup is tasty but bloody difficult to cut up.. Asda have a bag of cut up butternut squash, coconut & lemon grass soup mix that all you do is add stock to & blend

Broccoli soup is also nice, no need to add cheese or cream

My favourite to make is chunky chicken & veg soup. Nice chopped up veg + lentils & barley mix + chicken

Best wishes
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    butternut squash soup is tasty but bloody difficult to cut up.. Asda have a bag of cut up butternut squash, coconut & lemon grass soup mix that all you do is add stock to & blend

Broccoli soup is also nice, no need to add cheese or cream

My favourite to make is chunky chicken & veg soup. Nice chopped up veg + lentils & barley mix + chicken

Best wishes

If you want to do butternut squash soup, you don't need to cut it up.

Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds. Put half a peeled onion in each the seed 'hole', and a couple of cloves of garlic (skin on). Lay then flat on a tray (cut side up) and then drizzle oil on, followed by a covering of cumin, coriander and garam masala, plus chilli/paprika to taste.

Roast in a low oven, until the squash is tender, then squeeze the garlic out it's skin, and scoop the soft squash out with a spoon. Garlic, onion and squash into some stock and blitz. Lovely, thick, creamy and spicy as you like :)
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds. Put half a peeled onion in each the seed 'hole', and a couple of cloves of garlic (skin on). Lay then flat on a tray (cut side up) and then drizzle oil on, followed by a covering of cumin, coriander and garam masala, plus chilli/paprika to taste.

Roast in a low oven, until the squash is tender, then squeeze the garlic out it's skin, and scoop the soft squash out with a spoon. Garlic, onion and squash into some stock and blitz. Lovely, thick, creamy and spicy as you like :)

Oh thanks for posting this. I love butternut squash soup, but hate peeling the damn thing!
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a good idea!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    1 onion, peeled and chopped
    1 tbsp olive oil
    4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 head of broccoli, stalks trimmed and cut into florets
    1l chicken stock
    250ml single cream
    Mature cheddar cheese, grated (or any other cheese e.g. blue cheese crumbled, stilton etc)
    salt and black pepper

Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot and add the onions. Cook until soft and golden in colour.
    Add the potatoes and continue to stir for a few minutes.
    Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
    Add the broccoli florets and reduce to simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes and broccoli are soft.
    Blend until smooth and then stir in the cream.
    Continue to simmer on a low heat and gradually add the cheese stirring continuously for around 10 minutes.
    Season and serve with croutons and some cheese sprinkled on top.

I love this soup! (and this is from someone who normally despises broccoli) I make it every time I spot reduced broccoli in the shops (which is quite a lot actually!) - I usually stick in a spoonful of wholegrain mustard too, just to give it a bit of a kick
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone suggests blitzing the soup, but how about a chunky vegetable one ?