Options

Can changing a broadband provider really improve the connection ?

Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
Forum Member
We`re having problems with our broadband connection, it`s unreliable. It`s also a little slow (about 4MB/sec) but that really doesn`t bother me that much, it`s the fact the connection intermittently drops out which is the real problem, in fact we frequently have to resort to our 3G dongle just to run the business when the broadband connection drops out !

The thing is, if you change your broadband provider doesn`t the signal still come down the same cable anyway ? So does changing your broadband provider make any difference to the connection`s reliability ?
Then there`s the line and the Broadband, usually, but not always with the same company, does changing either make any difference because I don`t really want to change my broadband provider (as opposed to the phone line) if I can help it due to the possibility of being off line for a period etc.

Comments

• Options
    zaaxzaax Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    No and yes, if you move to Virgin Fibre you will, if you move to a provider that has their own equipment at the exchange you might, otherwise no.

www.samknows.com who has equipment at your exchange.

of course if you get a reasonable result on 3G you could get a Mifi
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is a fault with the line into your property then changing provider's is unlikely to make any difference. Depending on where any line fault is changing to a fibre service might bypass the dodgy bit of cable and give you a more reliable service. Though if it's the bit of wire between your master socket and cabinet that might still affect things.

Have you done the usual checks like try the router plugged into the test socket behind the master socket face plate? That would eliminate any internal extension wiring/phones/Sky box etc hanging off the line.

Do you also suffer from noise or crackles on the phone? That could indicate a line fault.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zaax wrote: »
    if you move to Virgin Fibre you will

Assuming you can get Virgin's copper co-ax cable internet, and assuming that there are no congestion or other problems locally. It might be an improvement but it isn't guaranteed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If it is a fault with the line into your property then changing provider's is unlikely to make any difference. Depending on where any line fault is changing to a fibre service might bypass the dodgy bit of cable and give you a more reliable service. Though if it's the bit of wire between your master socket and cabinet that might still affect things.

Have you done the usual checks like try the router plugged into the test socket behind the master socket face plate? That would eliminate any internal extension wiring/phones/Sky box etc hanging off the line.

Do you also suffer from noise or crackles on the phone? That could indicate a line fault.

We`ve bypassed the master socket face plate and it didn`t make any difference.
    As for the crackle on the phone line that`s a bit difficult to check because we only use that line for the broadband connection, we use the other lines we`ve got for the phones. We have briefly tested it a few times and it doesn`t seem too bad.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We`ve bypassed the master socket face plate and it didn`t make any difference.
    As for the crackle on the phone line that`s a bit difficult to check because we only use that line for the broadband connection, we use the other lines we`ve got for the phones. We have briefly tested it a few times and it doesn`t seem too bad.
    If it's a BT line (not sure this works on other providers) try dialling 17070 and select the option for a quiet line test (think it's option 2). That should tell you if there are any crackles or other noises on the line that might be affecting the ADSL signal.

Also does it appear to fail more often if it's raining? If water is getting into a joint somewhere then that can cause problems. Or a dodgy bit of insulation letting the rain in.
  • Options
    EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Routerstats can help narrow down the fault :

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

RouterstatsLite is an easier version to set up but if you want all the graphs etc then download v6.8j....it's compatible with most routers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If it's a BT line (not sure this works on other providers) try dialling 17070 and select the option for a quiet line test (think it's option 2). That should tell you if there are any crackles or other noises on the line that might be affecting the ADSL signal.

Also does it appear to fail more often if it's raining? If water is getting into a joint somewhere then that can cause problems. Or a dodgy bit of insulation letting the rain in.

Thanks Chris I`ll try it when I get a minute.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Just when I got a moment to test it the broadband was working ! I`ll wait till its poor then retry the test. Of course Sods law will dictate that it`ll work fine from now on, but that`s a result then isn`t it ? ! ?
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went from Talk Talk to Sky broadband about 10 days ago as I was also having issues with the connection dropping every so often. Haven't had a problem since installation and speed is up by around 10-20%.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Assuming you can get Virgin's copper co-ax cable internet, and assuming that there are no congestion or other problems locally. It might be an improvement but it isn't guaranteed.

Exactly. Virgin's fibre broadband isn't available in everyone's area.
  • Options
    skycatcherskycatcher Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I moved from BT to o2 a couple of years ago and my speed went from 512k to 3.5M! o2was an llu provider and I think BT had throttled my line speed back for stability due to my line length of 6.5km.BTW never had any stability problems with o2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    We`re having problems with our broadband connection, it`s unreliable.
    That sound like a fault and so the answer is - between VERY unlikely and no.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Something that grinds my gears is when people blame a slow or unreliable Internet connection solely on their provider.

Intermittent and/or slow connections are caused by telephone line faults, router faults and wireless interference pretty much all but 5% of the time. Maybe your provider is less than proactive at correspondinng with Openreach (the company that every provider rents telephone lines from and are therefore responsible for all faults unless it is a Virgin Media line) but that is a customer service issue and in no way means that they caused the fault.

Yes if you went from ADSL to Fibre (for example 'BT Broadband' to 'BT Infinity') you'd have a faster connection, because your Internet is running a different course from the telephone exchange to your house than it was before, through less speed restrictive materials. However, when using the exact same technology you can expect all ISPs to run within 2-3 Meg of each other, the difference being caused by the way bandwidth is allocated amongst other minor details, also LLU equipment at the exchange used by providers that 'operate their own network' so to speak can cause slight differences. The only providers that currently have LLU equipment are Sky and TalkTalk.

So, for example if you are switching from Plusnet to BT perhaps Plusnet is 15 Meg, BT might be 13 or 17 depending on minor details but any technical problems or constraints you had with Plusnet would remain.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HomaJay wrote: »
    So, for example if you are switching from Plusnet to BT perhaps Plusnet is 15 Meg, BT might be 13 or 17 depending on minor details but any technical problems or constraints you had with Plusnet would remain.

You should get identical/near-identical sync speeds with BT or Plusnet - since both companies use BT equipment and other parameters like line length won't change (unless also moving to fibre) - no physical work is performed to the line. Changing from BT's router to Plusnet's router might change sync speeds slightly but not by several megabits.

But changing ISPs can make a huge difference - because different ISPs operate their own networks in different ways, some may traffic shape, some might not, and each ISP acts differently to changing demand for bandwidth. So moving from one horribly congested ISP to one that isn't will make a huge difference to performance even if other things haven't changed. It would also be totally correct to blame the provider.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. We have two lines in our flat, one provided through Talk Talk, the other through BT. Same exchange, same, internal wiring. The Talk Talk line gives 8Mb max and that's in the dead of night, BT gives 11 Mb minimum day or night. Add in the reliability of the BT hub versus the Talk Talk one and I would definitely say your provider makes a big difference to the service you receive.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Just read this, and the answer is yes as it depends what gear is installed in the local exchange and how that connects to the green cabinet that your house hooks up to, and which ISP owns which kit & connection. My in-laws had a poor connection for years, then I looked into alternative providers and found that Plus Net could provide a decent speed, and that others couldn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was with Talktalk who throttled every evening and had constant dropouts. I changed to BT and the service has been excellent, 7Mb constantly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Just read this, and the answer is yes as it depends what gear is installed in the local exchange and how that connects to the green cabinet that your house hooks up to, and which ISP owns which kit & connection. My in-laws had a poor connection for years, then I looked into alternative providers and found that Plus Net could provide a decent speed, and that others couldn't.

That doesn't make sense. Plusnet don't have LLU they use the BT Wholesale network.
  • Options
    redcar1redcar1 Posts: 1,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a line fault is at the root of the problem and changing ISPs is unlikely to resolve it.

I had similar problems with my broadband until May this year. I started with Orange (formerly Freeserve dial-up) and then moved to Sky in order to obtain the advantages resulting from also having Sky TV. Both suffered from frequent dropping events and/or low speeds. Complaints about this to both ISPs resulted in the usual requests to scurry around the house checking filters, which when duly done, was of course no remedy. Sky also carried out a line test which gave the result that a fault existed 'on or near the premises', but then did nothing to resolve this!

In May this year the line, which was occasionally noisy for telephone calls, ceased working altogether. It took them 10 days to fix it, but now the broadband is fine and the phone line is clear.

My questions from this - why was nothing done when the line test revealed a fault which I think was there for some time? How do you get Openreach to investigate if you think your line is faulty but it is still working, albeit obviously not as well as it should be?
  • Options
    iniltousiniltous Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redcar1 wrote: »
    Sounds like a line fault is at the root of the problem and changing ISPs is unlikely to resolve it.

I had similar problems with my broadband until May this year. I started with Orange (formerly Freeserve dial-up) and then moved to Sky in order to obtain the advantages resulting from also having Sky TV. Both suffered from frequent dropping events and/or low speeds. Complaints about this to both ISPs resulted in the usual requests to scurry around the house checking filters, which when duly done, was of course no remedy. Sky also carried out a line test which gave the result that a fault existed 'on or near the premises', but then did nothing to resolve this!

In May this year the line, which was occasionally noisy for telephone calls, ceased working altogether. It took them 10 days to fix it, but now the broadband is fine and the phone line is clear.

My questions from this - why was nothing done when the line test revealed a fault which I think was there for some time? How do you get Openreach to investigate if you think your line is faulty but it is still working, albeit obviously not as well as it should be?
    Openreach rent cable pairs to CP's that should conform to BT Sin 351, if the cable pair is faulty OR have to repair/replace so the cable pair does match or exceed this specification...however some CP's seem reluctant to report faults when the test system says the line is OK because if they call out OR who find the line is OK they will charge the CP, who then will try and get some money back off the end user, The CP cannot say to OR we will pay you when the end user pays us, so they are reluctant to get OR out unless you insist or the testing indicates a 'hard' fault
    Lots of people complain that they cannot deal with OR directly, but if they did and a charge was raised due to the end user getting OR out when no fault was on OR's pair, how could they 'bill' the end user, and if the end user didn't pay, what sanction could OR take, after all the CP is OR customer, the end user is the CP's customer
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense. Plusnet don't have LLU they use the BT Wholesale network.
    I can only report what I saw. Their current deal with Pipex had been going on for years and speeds were on the floor. I suggested BT so they could have BT Sport as part of it but after going a long way through the order process on-line it reported that the high speed package wasn't available. Plus Net's on-line tool said they could provide a decent speed; after a quick on-line chat where it was confirmed we went through the process and they had higher speeds a few weeks later when it changed over.

I'm not too worried about who owns what kit. Pipex and BT said they couldn't provide higher speeds, PN did. Not my issue if their online checking doesn't give the right results. :)
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have nothing but praise for Sky after moving to them from Talk Talk. Getting twice the download speed on torrents for what is supposedly an equivalent service
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Yes. We have two lines in our flat, one provided through Talk Talk, the other through BT. Same exchange, same, internal wiring. The Talk Talk line gives 8Mb max and that's in the dead of night, BT gives 11 Mb minimum day or night. Add in the reliability of the BT hub versus the Talk Talk one and I would definitely say your provider makes a big difference to the service you receive.

but one line could be a lot further from the exchange or could contain more aluminum than the other, and how are they wired internally, surely you have 2 master sockets ?
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »

plus net is owned by BT, wouldn't touch em with a barge pole, I had an interview with them they seam very unprofessional.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I have tested the line a few times under the fault condition and it seems quiet, does that imply the fault isn`t on the cabling ? I`m a bit concerned because we`ve moved our phone cables around a few times, plus the junction box (with the incoming BT line) is an absolute dog`s breakfast. It was like that before, BT left it like that [the door on the front was bodged semi closed] but I`m a little concerned BT or Openreach (or whoever they call themselves these days) will try to blame us and charge us. Having said that even having to pay would be preferable to the unreliability we`re experiencing at the moment.
    If it wasn`t for the Orange 3G dongle we`d frequently be in the doo doo. Incidentally, does anyone know how to turn off the "recompression" on the 3G ? I know you can use "control + refresh" but having to do that every time is a pain.