Uruguay legalise Cannabis

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/11/uruguay-cannabis-marijuana-production-sale-law

Will there be any changes elsewhere due to this one do you think ?
Is it a good idea as the war on drugs has certainly been lost long ago?

I don't smoke pot, I did for a while whilst at Uni but got bored of it, it certainly is not addictive as I could take it or leave it easily and even after chonging a lot for a while I packed in instantly with no hassle.

I don't miss it and I am not bothered if it gets the green light here or not, do we think that this is a likely future scenario for the UK also?

Comments

• Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll happen most everywhere, eventually. Not here for a much longer time though.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not physically, but it can be mentally.

I'm in favour of legalisation, but my own situation would suggest it would increase usage and dependency. Not to mention an increase in smoking tobacco.
  • Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll happen most everywhere, eventually. Not here for a much longer time though.

Will it?? How? Smoking indoors in public Is now banned in the Uk? The streets will be awash with clouds of cannabis smoke.. Wi they just ban it from being smoked anywhere but your own home
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't smoke pot, I did for a while whilst at Uni but got bored of it, it certainly is not addictive as I could take it or leave it easily and even after chonging a lot for a while I packed in instantly with no hassle.

I don't miss it and I am not bothered if it gets the green light here or not, do we think that this is a likely future scenario for the UK also?

I smoked it for years every day, It was a habit that took a long time to quit, I suffered withdrawal symptoms and terrifying nightmares for months when I finally quit.

I'm two years clean since october now, It certainly is addictive.
  • Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    I smoked it for years every day, It was a habit that took a long time to quit, I suffered withdrawal symptoms and terrifying nightmares for months when I finally quit.

Maybe you got addicted to the Tabacco which u rolled it with
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe you got addicted to the Tabacco which u rolled it with

I still smoked the tobacco afterwards the withdrawal was cannabis/weed.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm in a situation whereby I can't give up one without the other. I managed it for 6 months this year, then fell off the wagon in September and know I've got to climb back on as it is NOT good for you.

My instinct is "freedom, government get your hands off, it's a natural product" etc, but if I'm honest, I suspect it would not be a good idea. We'll see what happens in Uruguay and the US states where they've decriminalised it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I battered it for three years solid, chonging with my mates and whilst watching TV - getting the munchies etc and piled on the weight but one day I just thought - nah I CBA with this and that was that, no symptoms, no cravings nothing just boom gone - that was probably around 2006 and I havent touched it since apart from maybe one toke or two in the last 5 years perhaps once a year at my old mates house.

I didnt find it in any way addictive, maybe I was just lucky ?
    Ciggies however - damn they are addictive!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I battered it for three years solid, chonging with my mates and whilst watching TV - getting the munchies etc and piled on the weight but one day I just thought - nah I CBA with this and that was that, no symptoms, no cravings nothing just boom gone - that was probably around 2006 and I havent touched it since apart from maybe one toke or two in the last 5 years perhaps once a year at my old mates house.

I smoked it for the best part of fifteen years, I actually lost weight after a while as I stopped getting the munchies, I was smoking it like cigarettes everyday.

After I quit the weight piled back on, I'd say it is ok in moderation not any more harmful than tobacco it doesn't cause as many issues as alcohol but long term it can be damaging and addictive if you abuse it.
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    of course it's addictive mentally, I used to cluck like a good 'un when I ran out :D

it's no good it being illegal though, when we have Alcohol around, what bollocks message does that send to our yoots, you use this stuff that smashes your liver to smithereens and makes you behave like a total arse in public but you can't smoke a draw that will make you fall asleep? :p
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    the change is gathering speed.:):cool:
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member

I agree, anyone who says it isn't addictive obviously has never smoked enough of it.
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, anyone who says it isn't addictive obviously has never smoked enough of it.

It isn't addictive in any recognised sense. Some people may find it a crutch they find difficult to let go of.
    I've had more weed than some people here have had hot dinners - literally - but never had any issues when there was none around. I've only had it intermittently over the last couple of years, and no ill effects whatsoever.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it's a lot more mentally addictive than some suggest, especially if you are using it to suppress something else in your life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I found the opposite. Weed was far more addictive than tobacco.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I also smoked it for years, almost every day for over 30 years, from the age of around 25 until 58, and the only problem I had was quitting tobacco, I quit smoking 2 years ago (January coming) didn't miss the weed after the first couple of weeks, found it far more difficult to go without tobacco,
    is not physically addictive, but certainly it can be psychologically addictive, but then so can polo mints as I know all too well, as I am on around 3-4 packets a day, (since I stopped smoking)
    Now, I am not going to say that because I had hardly any problem at all stopping smoking weed, it therefore follows that it will be easy for everyone,
    any more than saying because it was difficult for someone else to quit it therefore follows that it will be difficult for everyone,
    We are all individuals, and will have differing responses to almost anything one can mention,
    Those who started smoking it while still quite young (under 21) will find it harder to quit smoking ANYTHING, for the simple reason that the brain was not fully formed so the 'habit' will be hard wired in,
    But I am 100% convinced it should be legalised but strictly for adults only, with harsh punishments for anyone who knowing supplies to anyone under 21,
    This would drive the vast majority of 'criminal dealers' out of business at a stroke, (not enough money to be made to justify the risk of illegal dealing)
    Our kids get it from illegal suppliers, so legalisation (if done in conjunction with stiffer, MUCH stiffer, penalties for illegal supply)
    then legalisation would make it harder, not easier, for our kids to get hold of cannabis, as well as taking actual control of a so called "controlled substance" because the only people "in control" at the moment are the criminal gangs,
    The very last people who want to see any recreational drugs legalised are the criminal drug gangs,
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really? as I said, if smoking it almost everyday for over 30 years, smoking an average of 10 spliffs a day, wasn't smoking "enough of it" I suppose I could have found a way of smoking while I slept,

I just don't understand why some people seem to think we are all clones or 'the borg' or something,
    I hate prawns, I hate strawberries, so I suppose it stands to 'reason' that everyone will hate prawns and strawberries?
    Forum Member
    Really? as I said, if smoking it almost everyday for over 30 years, smoking an average of 10 spliffs a day, wasn't smoking "enough of it" I suppose I could have found a way of smoking while I slept,

I just don't understand why some people seem to think we are all clones or 'the borg' or something,
    I hate prawns, I hate strawberries, so I suppose it stands to 'reason' that everyone will hate prawns and strawberries?

Why did you smoke so much of it if it's not addictive?
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many people on DS will claim that we are uncivilized just because we haven't legalized cannabis? :rolleyes:
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not so much the physical addiction which is largely imaginary, but rather the addictive nature of the experience - it's little things like the way music sounds or the intensity of watching films, or just the thought patterns you get when stoned. When you give up, all that goes away and there's a sort of emptiness that can last months, and you're sleep patterns are all over the place because it affects melatonin production.

Another thing to add, is that when people say they smoke weed, in my experience that usually means they spend every waking moment stoned. I have never known anyone who was a smoker who didn't light up as soon as they got home from work and would then get through five joints before bed. While it may be a light addiction that doesn't really have significant consequences, anything that is used to that excess is intrinsically bad for you. If you drank that much, you'd be an an alcoholic.

It should be legal obviously, but it's silly to pretend it's a benign substance that people use responsibly.

And lastly, the name Uruguay always makes me smirk since Homer Simpson pointed out how much it looks like "u r gay".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    It's not so much the physical addiction which is largely imaginary, but rather the addictive nature of the experience - it's little things like the way music sounds or the intensity of watching films, or just the thought patterns you get when stoned. When you give up, all that goes away and there's a sort of emptiness that can last months, and you're sleep patterns are all over the place because it affects melatonin production.

Another thing to add, is that when people say they smoke weed, in my experience that usually means they spend every waking moment stoned. I have never known anyone who was a smoker who didn't light up as soon as they got home from work and would then get through five joints before bed. While it may be a light addiction that doesn't really have significant consequences, anything that is used to that excess is intrinsically bad for you. If you drank that much, you'd be an an alcoholic.

It should be legal obviously, but it's silly to pretend it's a benign substance that people use responsibly.

And lastly, the name Uruguay always makes me smirk since Homer Simpson pointed out how much it looks like "u r gay".
    Dreaming[edit]
    Some supplemental melatonin users report an increase in vivid dreaming. Extremely high doses of melatonin (50 mg) dramatically increased REM sleep time and dream activity in people both with and without narcolepsy.[56] It has been suggested that nonpolar (lipid-soluble) indolic hallucinogenic drugs emulate melatonin activity in the awakened state and that both act on the same areas of the brain.[56]

That could explain the nightmares, I was smoking minimum of 20 large joints over a course of a day, I never felt stoned just had a habit that I accept could have largely been psychological.

But I still would not advise anybody to abuse cannabis, A lack of melatonin can cause type 2 diabetes which I happen to have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I can understand that.

Changing the subject slightly, apparently they'll be selling cannabis at $1 a gram and the system will be in place by mid-2014. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/22/uruguay-legal-cannabis-1-dollar-gram

On another note entirely, would it be inappropriate to link to this? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You must have spent a fortune on it.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I "smoke" pretty much every day. When I say smoke, in the last 12 months I've been vaping, but that's neither here nor there.

I enjoy it when I have it, that's for sure. I agree that some people use it as a crutch (me probably), I find life tedious and shit for the most part, so it gets me through the day.

But saying that, when I don't have it, it doesn't particularly bother me, I don't get withdrawal symptoms particularly - it can be a bit annoying wanting to have some but not having any :D

The worst effect for me seems to be motivation. Between that and drinking alcohol, I don't seem to have any.

I'm thinking of cutting back next year, I've smoked since I was 13 (I'm 35 next year), to be honest, I'd be a liar if I said I'd achieved anything in the last 20 years really (that motivation thing again). I've always suffered from anxiety since a child, and this takes the edge off, that I think is one reason I've done it for so long.

I do wonder if it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy (is that the right term?), I like it because it allows me to escape from life, but do I want to escape from life because of how its (and the booze, probably) made me?

I do think it should be legal though, vaping weed is practically harmless compared with drinking alcohol. I know which one makes me feel worse.

I sometimes wonder whether prohibition makes me have more?! That might sound ridiculous to some, but the thing is, because its a hassle to get, I end up having to buy large quantities, and then because its there, it gets used. If I could buy it when I wanted to buy it, when it suited me, I'd probably just stick to buying a small amount on a weekend.

So for me at least, prohibition doesn't work.

I'll be watching these developments with interest.
    Forum Member
    You must have spent a fortune on it.

Yet apparently they weren't addicted.:confused: