Daytime Censorship Needs To Be Sorted Out

mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think networks really need to sort themselves out regarding mild language during the day.
Most networks will let most language play out with exception of the shit and bastard words.
Comedy Central sometimes will only allow 'piss' and 'arse' air. However this morning my daughter was watching Nick and one of its programme's 'Welley and Vinny' (I think it was called) had 'bastard' in the show.
Now I'm not complaining, but these networks won't allow this word because of kids could be watching, but its okay for a kids channel to air it?
I also remember Boomerang showing The Goonies uncut too. I find this very odd and Ofcom need to set the record straight with them all.

Comments

• Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fully agree.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are far more dangerous things for children at the moment that stumbling across the word 'arse'. The soaps allow bitch and cow all the time.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are far more dangerous things for children at the moment that stumbling across the word 'arse'. The soaps allow bitch and cow all the time.

And many more important things than not being able hearing bad language on the TV during the day.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In what context was bastard used though?
    Although it can be used as a swear word, it also has a legitimate use as a word too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Ofcom won't give blanket rules because there's always exceptions and they need to cater for those...
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised if Nickolodeon had the B word...
  • mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In what context was bastard used though?
    Although it can be used as a swear word, it also has a legitimate use as a word too.

One of main characters said 'That kid's a bastard!' Because the kid in question said something sarcastic to him.
    I remember ofcom did relax the rules on mild language being broadcast in the daytime, but it was down to the network discretion to do so.
    I just find it odd that a kids channel opt in to do it while adult aimed channel's don't.
    Forum Member
    mattyb wrote: »
    One of main characters said 'That kid's a bastard!' Because the kid in question said something sarcastic to him.
    I remember ofcom did relax the rules on mild language being broadcast in the daytime, but it was down to the network discretion to do so.
    I just find it odd that a kids channel opt in to do it while adult aimed channel's don't.

Chances are somebody at compliance didn't do their job properly, rather than it being a conscious decision to allow "bastard" pre-watershed.

If Nickelodeon shares a compliance team, which it probably does, it's possible they forgot which channel they were complying for and it accidentally slipped through. Or Nickelodeon may have decided anything that can go out pre-safe harbour in the US can go out pre-watershed here, and not complied anything (though this is unlikely)...
  • NickTVAntNickTVAnt Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Hey, did someone mention Nickelodeon? :)

We've investigated this, but there's absolutely no use of any bad language in the show 'Wendell and Vinnie' broadcast yesterday morning. We're a children's channel, and we wouldn't make or show a programme that contained bad language.

The only thing close that we can find is where Vinnie comments, "That boy's a Bassett." - Bassett is the family name in the series. But hopefully you'll agree that's not offensive at all. :)

On the wider question, everything we show is thoroughly checked by our Compliance team before broadcast. Nobody would have forgotten which channel they were working for - we all work for Nickelodeon, and no-one else, so we'd never let anything unsuitable slide.

But if you've got any questions or concerns about anything, any time, please do feel free to get in touch - we're always here. You can get in touch via our website at http://www.nick.co.uk/info/contactus or our email address, letterbox at nick.co.uk.

Merry Christmas! :)
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How amusing.

It was always going to be unlikely that an American family show would feature anything the slightest bit off colour.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So no characters on a Nick show should have a surname that sounds a bit like bastard.

Get Ofcom onto it now!
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we should do away with censorship, Kids never watch half the channels since there have the own channels. Censorship is a bygone era now.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What worries me is earlier this year I found myself arguing because downton abbey was on after 9pm the suggested rape scene was fine in context of the drama only to later discover it was repeated again at 6pm on a following day. So what is the water shed all about if that can be shown when children could be watching ?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't kids be at school during the day instead of watching trashy daytime TV?
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just heard "bastard" on an Only Fools and Horses repeat on BBC One at 12:45pm. Someone's in trouble.
  • Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they never swore on Nickelodeon, has the OP been back on to admit he's a silly Bassett.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Nick are usually very good with this kind of thing, for example, Victorious had an episode called 'Wanko's warehouse' and my son watched it online as that , but when aired here, it had changed to 'the warehouse' and they had zoomed in to block out any view of Wanko's signs.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't kids be at school during the day instead of watching trashy daytime TV?

Wendell and Vinnie is usully on in the evening.
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Nick are usually very good with this kind of thing, for example, Victorious had an episode called 'Wanko's warehouse' and my son watched it online as that , but when aired here, it had changed to 'the warehouse' and they had zoomed in to block out any view of Wanko's signs.

They still have the term "wank" in America, admittedly it's less widespread than over here, buthow'd they get away with it over there?
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that is funny.

A person with hearing difficulties complains over a swear word that wasn't.

Way back in the 1930's a woman complained to Lord Reith because she had turned on her radio and was shocked to hear-

'Great tits like coconuts'

Turned out it was a programme about birdwatching.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish censorship would just be handled by pin protecting content that is 'not appropriate' during the day. I would say that its something that could very easily put into boxes with a software update, although it might render some boxes with extinct manufacturers, or none upgradable hardware completely useless! Unless of course it was a flag that could be ignored by incompatible boxes then it would work! But a warning would have to be issued, that some boxes, are able so show unsafe content for children, during the day without a pin!
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They still have the term "wank" in America, how'd they get away with it over there?

Apparently that word is just British slang, so probably isn't a well known term in America.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They still have the term "wank" in America, how'd they get away with it over there?
    because it is not a Rude word in America.
    Forum Member
    Apparently that word is just British slang, so probably isn't a well known term in America.

Weird, it's been used on The Simpsons a bit, and it was used in Masters of Sex. :confused:
    because it is not a Rude word in America.

Even if it isn't offensive, surely they have some indication of what it means (and why it's not suitable for kids tv)?
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weird, it's been used on The Simpsons a bit, and it was used in Masters of Sex. :confused:

Even if it isn't offensive, surely they have some indication of what it means?
    I have not seen all of masters of sex so can't comment but all of the US shows I have seen it in it is said by British characters. Lie to me is 1 show I can think of. Australians certainly use the word though.