Options

Living in a flat with people above you

Comments

• Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have moved in to a first floor flat. There are just two floors so no one above me. But it's all laminate flooring so I pity the people below me . But if they came up and said anything I would apologise but say it's tough luck as I just walk around normally and if it's too noisy for them then that's not really my problem.

Maybe a rug or two might be in order, just to be nice.

I took my lounge carpet up and had the floorboards sanded-down, but I do appreciate that this is a flat rather than a house (although it used to be one house), so my floor is someone's ceiling - so I put a rug down on the floorboards and I'm careful about the noise I make and I don't hoover etc when it gets too late.

It is possible to live in flats without peeing everyone off.

Having said that, it's the people next door that have made the most noise. Their parties go on all night and they are not students or on benefits, they are both in their 30s and with fulltime jobs.
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have moved in to a first floor flat. There are just two floors so no one above me. But it's all laminate flooring so I pity the people below me . But if they came up and said anything I would apologise but say it's tough luck as I just walk around normally and if it's too noisy for them then that's not really my problem.

That's a very selfish attitude to have. you're right it's not your fault if the laminate flooring is causing problems, and making every footstep sound like you're stamping. But there's no excuse not to have a few rugs about.

If the situations were reversed and you were on the receiving end, you'd be on here fast enough complaining.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a very selfish attitude to have. you're right it's not your fault if the laminate flooring is causing problems, and making every footstep sound like you're stamping. But there's no excuse not to have a few rugs about.

If the situations were reversed and you were on the receiving end, you'd be on here fast enough complaining.

If there was a 'like' option on here, I'd be 'liking' that comment right now.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I had someone above me, she was a stomper, a shagger, a masturbator and a partyer. I had to put up with it for 5 years before i managed to escape.

The stomping, shagging and partying I understand, but how did you know she was masturbating? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Get a rug. That's such a selfish attitude. :o
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    The stomping, shagging and partying I understand, but how did you know she was masturbating? :confused:

I was wondering that too, unless she has a diesel powered vibrator :)
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live on 20th floor so i have people below and above me as it's a 22 storey block. The polish guy who lives above me constantly moans about the guy above him yet he is quite happy to stomp around , ensure everyone can hear him having a piss and slamming doors.
    I once politely pointed out that he shouldn't moan about his neighbour if he is being a nuisance himself. The people who live below me are great i couldn't ask for better neighbours , i always ensure i wear my slippers when walking around my flat i don't vaccuum after 6pm and about 9pm i ensure my tv isn't too loud either. I've said to my neighbours if ever my tv is too loud due to me being on my ps3 or summat then just knock my door and let me know and i'll turn it down.
    It really is pretty simple to live in a flat without annoying others it just takes a bit of consideration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there was a 'like' option on here, I'd be 'liking' that comment right now.

:D:D Thanks.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I have an elderly women living in a flat above me. She is very noisy for her age (she is very old), constantly moving furniture or vacuuming early in the morning. That would be bearable if she didn't have grandchildren who come to visit her every Thursday. When they come, they run around the flat and play indoors so they make so much noise. I tried telling her that i don't like when the kids are running all over the place and that they should go outside and play, but she just doesn't seem to care.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do actually understand where you're coming from as I did eventually move in to the top floor of a two story building after escaping from my other flat. I was, and still am, acutely aware of someone underneath me but I do also understand that I still have to live my life normally.

However, it does not excuse your shitty attitude though. The flat I used to live underneath also had laminate flooring throughout so I know very well how even the noise from the slightest thing can be amplified.

It doesn't take much to consider the person below you with a few well placed rugs and also little things like considering the time of day you might want to put the washing on or run the hoover around.
    I was wondering that too, unless she has a diesel powered vibrator :)

It was two things really. One night she was rowing with her latest conquest who was accusing her of cheating because he'd found her underwear on the floor by the settee. She rather amusingly shouted back at him "I DO W*NK YOU KNOW!" :D

And also the fact that the laminate flooring did amplify a lot of what went on up there and I basically just heard her at it a lot of the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was two things really. One night she was rowing with her latest conquest who was accusing her of cheating because he'd found her underwear on the floor by the settee. She rather amusingly shouted back at him "I DO W*NK YOU KNOW!" :D

And also the fact that the laminate flooring did amplify a lot of what went on up there and I basically just heard her at it a lot of the time.
    So no peephole then?;)
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So no peephole then?;)

hehe, you seriously didn't need one :)

thing is, it was funny the first time i heard her but when you're still hearing the same thing years later it really does become hugely irritating.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I had someone above me, she was a stomper, a shagger, a masturbator and a partyer. I had to put up with it for 5 years before i managed to escape.

With my place here: It was a good few months of hearing rythmic tap-tap-tapping coming from above and me wondering just what he was repairing now, before I got that lightbulb flashing moment of realisation - maybe if he'd had the decency to shout "oh yeah" each time at the end I'da twigged earlier. :p - I quickly padded my own squeeky chairs. :p:blush:

In my old place my downstairsie loved playing thuddy rock music on repeat - same fkreaing song over+over+over, at all hours. Not being one to complain my solution was (1) second bed in kitchen (2) wax ear plugs (3) ear phones over the plugs, taped to my ears to keep them in place (4) workmenlike headphones over the top and finally (5) an electric fan directed at my face producing a constant hum = result, all the evil was blocked out - and my music playing thru the earphones for company. And the Kitchen was freezing in the Winter and boiling in the Summer. Not fun at all. :(
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    I have very bad allergies so a rug isn't an option unless there was a special kind of one I could get. Plus it wouldn't make any difference as my living room is absolutely huge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have very bad allergies so a rug isn't an option unless there was a special kind of one I could get. Plus it wouldn't make any difference as my living room is absolutely huge.
    howzabout those oft recommended padded slippers ? :)

btw: I'm jealous of your vacuous living room - vacuous means fkn huge, right ?! :confused:
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Even walking around normally sounds like stomping if you have inadequate insulation under your flooring.

You sound like the woman living above me. She had a 'couldn't care less' attitude as well. She soon changed her selfish attitude when she found out laminate flooring was not allowed and she now has to remove it all. :)

If the person below can hear you due to laminate flooring, it usually means the insulation is inadequate (even rugs will not stop the noise) Some usually skip the insulation to keep the prices down.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read a good idea on here a few months ago - speakers on top of a unit quite near the ceiling (their floor) and put on The Osmonds Crazy Horses song quite loud and go out - leaving it on repeat.
    Remembered that one in case I need it at some point.:D
  • Options
    KittyKreamKittyKream Posts: 4,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    I live in a tower block and am pretty certain a stomper and his family have just moved in the flat above me (I say pretty certain because I'm hoping that they just be visiting and will soon leave).

Other than earplugs and head phones (which I've got :)) to block them out, or getting stoned so I stop caring (drugs I have not :() what things have people done or do people do to make themselves feel less creeped out by all that scurrying around above them ?

( moving and "hey can you keep the noise down" pop-rounds aren't an option )

Between the hours of 11pm and 7am they have to be quiet,it's the law so people can get some sleep(Apart from New Years Eve possibly lol but that law is strict and is enforced)

If it is just daytime noise I'm really not sure what options are available to you.

I was able to get rid of my noisy neighbours through a long complicated process with Environmental Health but we had to keep a log of every thing they did and luckily for us (although not at the time :D) they played music loud in the night so they got chucked out eventually.

Just daytime noise is going to be harder to deal with.
  • Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could put vinyl down unless you are renting. And not wear heels indoors etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    You really give the weirdest, most bizarre advice.

so if the upstairs neighbour wore padded slippers and had some rugs, that wouldn't help?

If slippers and rugs kept appearing in your apartment house's recycling point, you wouldn't *possibly* wonder if there was a message for someone there?

I used to live in a third-floor rented flat which had laminate flooring, (not installed by me). When I walked around in my bare feet, it was a bit noisy - shoes, unbearably noisy. Being a considerate person, I thought of my neighbours. A friend bought me a pair of padded novelty slippers - you couldn't hear a thing when I walked around on those.

The sad truth is there really isn't an easy answer if the person above can't be talked to, doesn't care. I think a lot of blocks of flats and converted houses of flats have been built to unacceptable standards here, and the law should be changed so that much better sound proofing is required.

Having said that, in my last tenancy agreement there was a rule which said you weren't allowed to make any noise between the hours of 11pm and 7am - any noise, not just loud noise. So there might be a loophole there to explore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [update] Maybe jumping the gun here but:
    I jumped the gun :( - now where are those earplug ?! :bleh:
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    It is rented so can't do anything like that . I am not selfish I said I would apologise for the noise but the laminate flooring isn't going anywhere so it is just tough luck. I don't purposely make noise I just live my life as normal.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    OP you have my sympathy, Top floor or nothing for me when it comes to flats. You get used to it in London though where many people live in flats.

Toddlers combined with laminate flooring in a flat above you is possibly the worst possible scenario. It sounds like you have elephants as neighbours if the sound insulation is bad.

When I had this problem I found watching the telly with headphones with a long extension socket helped while I was indoors. And of course being out and about helps too although that's not. easy in winter.

Good luck. Hopefully they were just there for Xmas!
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    "avoiding ground floor flat" is something they should teach us in school and not be something we learn about thru bitter experience.

Middle flats are the worst as you have double the noise risk. Ground floor and you might be lucky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is rented so can't do anything like that . I am not selfish I said I would apologise for the noise but the laminate flooring isn't going anywhere so it is just tough luck. I don't purposely make noise I just live my life as normal.

Ok if you genuinely have allergies and rugs set you off, then I can understand it a bit more.