Options

Who'll win the league?

CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
Forum Member
May be an old thread on this but as we are now entering March, thought I'd start a new one to get people's opinions on who they think will win the Premier League right now

Four genuine title contenders, we could well be in for the most tight and exciting finish in quite a while. Hoping so anyway.

Paddy Power

Chelsea 13/10
Man City 7/5
Liverpool 8/1
Arsenal 8/1

Man City- Seem to have hit a bit of a dip recently since they were outclassed by Chelsea. Until then it was looking like they could walk away with the league. I think they'll hit a purple patch again, and with Aguero to come back they're favourites IMO

Chelsea- Have been quite up and down. Immense wins v Man U and Man City along with dropped points v West Ham and West Brom, consistency seems to be an issue. With Mourinho at the helm I wouldn't rule out anything, but progression from the last 16 in CL (likely) could prove a slight hindrance in what'll be a jam packed few months in a tight league where any dropped points could be crucial. I'd never write them off though but think it's a season too early myself and the lack of a proven goal scorer could be pivotal

Liverpool- Definite contenders IMO despite what some think, and City and Chelsea at home to come. Saying that they've a propensity to drop silly points away and their defence has been leaky. With Suarez and Sturridge banging them in though, they'll pick up plenty of wins and no cup distractions- with no midweek games to come bar Sunderland possibly. Crucial few matches ahead. If they can beat the likes of So'ton and United away it'll be massive. Ultimately a season or two too soon I think

Arsenal- Gonna write them off myself, just not good enough against the big teams and that Man United match now likes like two serious points dropped. While they've been super consistent putting away the lesser teams, these matches become a bit trickier now with teams' premier league futures on the line. Top 4 should be well and truly sewn up but I think we'll see a steady collapse in the coming few weeks with a resurgence of sorts from April but ultimately not enough. Should really target FA Cup IMO

My own prediction

City
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal

Who will win the Premier League? 121 votes

Chelsea
38% 47 votes
Man City
27% 33 votes
Liverpool
28% 34 votes
Arsenal
5% 7 votes

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man City
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Liverpool

Same as my prediction at the start except I had United in third so just bumped Chelsea and Liverpool up one place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    Man City
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Liverpool

Same as my prediction at the start except I had United in third so just bumped Chelsea and Liverpool up one place.

Think I had it like this myself at start

Chelsea
    City
    Man U
    Arsenal
  • Options
    Angie_PlastyAngie_Plasty Posts: 6,333
    Forum Member
    I think City and Arsenal will choke.

Liverpool's goals will get them 2nd.

Chelsea's defence will get them 1st.

I'm always wrong though. :blush:
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man City for me, when Aguero returns the goals will be flying in.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    1 Chelsea
    2 Man City
    It's a toss up for 3rd & 4th between Liverpool & Arsenal.
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Had Chelsea at the start and am staying with them now. I just think JMs ability to grind out results even if dull or poor football at times is the mark of a team who know how to win a title.

City will be close because of their quality, but I just think the Mourinho factor will edge it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think City and Arsenal will choke.

Liverpool's goals will get them 2nd.

Chelsea's defence will get them 1st.

I'm always wrong though. :blush:

I'm certainly not prepared to rule out the prospect myself to be honest, despite my prediction

While there's no doubt they play lovely football when in full flow, they really have been limited at times away from home and one or two injuries to key men and they seem to really be affected. To be honest Chelsea really showed them up at the Etihad

Any of Aguero (again), Kompany, Fern, Yaya, Silva get injured and there could be trouble

I'm not overly convinced they're capable of grinding out results like Chelsea and even Arsenal so far this season

It really is difficult to call

I think Liverpool are very long at 8's tempted to throw a few quid on them but might wait till So'ton game which I think they'll draw (odds will lengthen if so). I think they'll do a number on Man U at OT and odds will shorten again

Their goalscoring has been insane and they won't drop many points at home till the end of the season that's for sure

Agree on Arsenal
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Chelsea will win it.

However, whoever wins it, Billingham Synthonia hereby challenges the winner to a friendly match at the Glamal Engineering Stadium
  • Options
    Astra 1AAstra 1A Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Chelsea will pip City, as all of their remaining away games (apart from Anfield) are against bottom 10 teams.

City still have to go to Arsenal, Liverpool, United and Everton.

...though if the Liverpool bandwagon keeps rolling?
  • Options
    -Bandit--Bandit- Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    man city to win it... but if they slip up chelsea will claim the crown.

...arsenal & liverpool to battle it out for 3rd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd like Liverpool to win it, because it's been ages since their last title

The last time they won the title, I was wearing velcro trainers and watching DJ Kat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Astra 1A wrote: »
    I think Chelsea will pip City, as all of their remaining away games (apart from Anfield) are against bottom 10 teams.

City still have to go to Arsenal, Liverpool, United and Everton.

...though if the Liverpool bandwagon keeps rolling?

Hmm this is where it can get tricky though

A lot of these teams will be fighting for survival and if last season and this one so far is anything to go by there'll be a lot of teams in the mix between now and May.

They'd be nearly better off playing teams in the top half with nothing really to play for but who knows

I tend to stay away from studying run-ins myself when predicting as (excuse the cliche) anything can happen on a given day. You can guarantee there'll be an odd bizarre result and teams can gain and lose form in a heartbeat.

Also, playing a relegation threatened team in May can generally be much worse than playing a team halfway to the beach but 8th/9th in the table
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Chelsea : the best manager and the best run in.

I'd go :

Chelsea
    Manchester City
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
  • Options
    TalkmanTalkman Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be honest I think Chelsea are going to edge it but if they do
    They will be the worst premier league champions for a long time

I Think Liverpool will be runners up and if Chelsea do win it they might as well
    send Howard Webb a medal, because when Liverpool played Chelsea
    At stamford bridge over Christmas he denied Liverpool a clear cut penalty
    When eto fouled saurez Chelsea ended up getting all three points
    Them points might decide first and second place
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll stick with my original prediction, Man City to win the title. Then Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal..in that order.
  • Options
    spearmintspearmint Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be absolutely amazed if Man City don't win it.
  • Options
    SolidSnakeSolidSnake Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    City
    Arsenal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have looked at the fixtures remaining chelsea have got by far the easiest games
    Man City have to play united away arsenal away Liverpool away and everton away
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Talkman wrote: »
    I'll be honest I think Chelsea are going to edge it but if they do
    They will be the worst premier league champions for a long time

I Think Liverpool will be runners up and if Chelsea do win it they might as well
    send Howard Webb a medal, because when Liverpool played Chelsea
    At stamford bridge over Christmas he denied Liverpool a clear cut penalty
    When eto fouled saurez Chelsea ended up getting all three points
    Them points might decide first and second place

Howard Webb already has a few Premier League winners medals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I bet David moyes regrets the day he left man united
    Wouldnt be surprised if they sign him back up
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delete.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My head says Chelsea to win.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's too hard to predict even for a football expert of Lawro's calibre, but based on the remaining fixtures, Chelsea should win the league by about 1 or 2 points. Although they'll be unexpected results, but there likely will for both teams.

Man City

Hull 0-2 Man City
    Man City 3-0 Fulham
    Man Utd 1-1 Man City
    Arsenal 2-1 Man City

Man City 3-1 Villa
    Man City 3-0 Sunderland
    Man City 2-0 Soton
    Liverpool 1-1 Man City

Man City 4-1 WBA
    Palace 0-2 Man City
    Everton 1-1 Man City
    Man City 2-0 West Ham

57 pts (current points) + 27 pts = 84 pts

Chelsea

Fulham 1-3 Chelsea
    Chelsea 2-0 Spurs
    Villa 1-1 Chelsea
    Chelsea 2-1 Arsenal

Palace 1-2 Chelsea
    Chelsea 2-0 Stoke
    Swansea 2-2 Chelsea
    Chelsea 3-1 Sunderland

Liverpool 1-0 Chelsea
    Chelsea 3-0 Norwich
    Cardiff 0-2 Chelsea

60 pts (current points) + 26 pts = 86 pts
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I voted with my heart for Arsenal though my head says one of the top 2 in the poll :cry:.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chelsea's run-in is not as easy as some are making out!

6 away games and 5 at home.
    Away to 3 teams - Fulham. Palace. Cardiff - desperate for points to stay up.
    Villa away has been a tough game in recent years. Liverpool away is scary!!!

At home we have Spurs and Arsenal. Anything could happen in those games.
    The only games i'd class as 'easier ones' are the home games against Stoke, Sunderland and Norwich, but all three are fighting for survival as well.

I think Chelsea's run-in is very difficult!