just thought i'd add this in as one is coming up real soon

bbc tv services started 1936 -2016 80 years
bbc tv centre started 1960 - 2020 60 yeas
bbc 1 started 1964- 2014 60 years
bbc 2 started 1964- 2014 60 years
itv started 1955 - 2015 60 years
channel 4 started 1982 - 2022 40 years
five started 1997 - 2017 20 years

i could go on ,but whats the chances of any celebrations?

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    just thought i'd add this in as one is coming up real soon

bbc tv services started 1936 -2016 80 years
    bbc tv centre started 1960 - 2020 60 yeas
    bbc 1 started 1964- 2014 60 years
    bbc 2 started 1964- 2014 60 years

itv started 1955 - 2015 60 years
    channel 4 started 1982 - 2022 40 years
    five started 1997 - 2017 20 years

i could go on ,but whats the chances of any celebrations?

Maths & spelling lessons needed! ;-)

Every day is the anniversary of something nowadays if you look hard enough. Just having passed the 30th of Channel 4 I think we can do without caring too much about its next decade already. TV centre no longer exists since last year, and it was "celebrated" in 2013 before its closure. I see no reason why they'd waste time bothering to celebrate an old building they no longer use come 2020, although it is a shame they trashed so much history with that place.
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

Every day is the anniversary of something nowadays if you look hard enough. Just having passed the 30th of Channel 4 I think we can do without caring too much about it's next decade already.

spelling errors can't see any,maths issue ,yes mayby speacially bbc 1/2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your title thread emails. ;-)

BBC2 will be worth a genuine commemoration its 50th next month.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anniversaries
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Every day is the anniversary of something nowadays if you look hard enough. Just having passed the 30th of Channel 4 I think we can do without caring too much about it's next decade already. TV centre no longer exists since last year, and it was "celebrated" in 2013 before its closure. I see no reason why they'd waste time bothering to celebrate an old building they no longer use come 2020, although it is a shame they trashed so much history with that place.

BBC Television returns to TV Centre in April 2015 when they will re-open three studios,TC1,2 and 3.
    The first transmission from TV Centre (Studio 3) took place on June 29,1960, although the scenery block was brought into use before then servicing the nearby Lime Grove studios.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your title thread emails. ;-)

BBC2 will be worth a genuine commemoration its 50th next month.

will bbc 2 do that?
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    will bbc 2 do that?

I don't see why not. They celebrated their 40th anniversary with a 3 hour history of the channel.

Also, BBC1 and the pre-1964 BBC TV service are both technically the same channel - 78 years as of this coming November. It just had a rebrand in April 1964.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    I don't see why not. They celebrated their 40th anniversary with a 3 hour history of the channel.

Also, BBC1 and the pre-1964 BBC TV service are both technically the same channel - 78 years as of this coming November. It just had a rebrand in April 1964.

could they do that too?
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    could they do that too?

I based my comment on a presumption based on previous experience, so I can't confirm for definite whether they will or won't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I based my comment on a presumption based on previous experience, so I can't confirm for definite whether they will or won't.

i will assume that may not happen then.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    CNBC (US) started in 1989 so this year is their 25th anniversary :D

Only one I can think of :blush:
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was only 6 months old at the time, but I don't think BBC TV was rebranded to BBC 1 on the day BBC 2 launched, I think it was a few months later ?
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RTÉ started broadcasting on 31st December 1961 so in 2021 they will be 60 years old.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume the opener knows the interesting tale about the launch of BBC2 when a power cut throughout a large part of London disrupted their plans. Certainly one of the more memorable launch nights for those around to see it.

http://youtu.be/8pWsFamLgjU

There is a loss of sound at the beginning as this went to air, until 3 minutes in. I think this must have been the contingency plan. You have to laugh at the way the newsreader keeps answering the phone while on air. Plus a mention of "stinking wogs" in a news story!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC radio began broadcasting on November 14, 1922, that's an anniversary probably worth marking. BBC Television began on November 2, 1936, although it was off the air between 1939 and 1946.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Disney XD's launch date, under it's original name of Fox Kids Network, was October 19th 1996.
  • Options
    Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    I was only 6 months old at the time, but I don't think BBC TV was rebranded to BBC 1 on the day BBC 2 launched, I think it was a few months later ?
    It did change to BBC1 on the same day, certainly the Radio Times listed it as such (see here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/bbc2/radiotimes/page29.shtml ). However a new version of the spinning globe was introduced which was labelled simply as 'BBC', even though the spoken announcements stated 'BBC1'. The full name of the channel didn't appear on the globe until 1966.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NBC's Meet the Press has been broadcast continuously since November 1947 and this year will celebrate its 67th anniversary. It is the world's longest-running TV programme of any kind and has had 11 presenters over the period.
  • Options
    Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    BBC Television returns to TV Centre in April 2015 when they will re-open three studios,TC1,2 and 3.

1. Maybe BBC Studios Ltd* (note not `the BBC`, as ownership is with Stanhope ) return next year. But TC1, 2 & 3 refurb works are still to start. The studio tech galleries and app rooms are completely stripped of all broadcast kit at the moment. All tech cabling has been cut too.

* Think they may get sold off, if a buyer can be found. Still got £50m to find.

also...

2. BBC 2 60th anniversary coming up this year. Film crew (Harry Enfield & Co) will be at TVC (Yes TVC) next week to film.

IMO Best thing they could do for BBC 2 is to move most of BBC 4s` shows on to it, to help to return it to its original gravitas.
  • Options
    Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    >> I meant 50th anniversary BBC 2 - Pudgy fingers strike again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Object Z wrote: »
    ftv wrote: »

1. Maybe BBC Studios Ltd* (note not `the BBC`, as ownership is with Stanhope ) return next year. But TC1, 2 & 3 refurb works are still to start. The studio tech galleries and app rooms are completely stripped of all broadcast kit at the moment. All tech cabling has been cut too.

* Think they may get sold off, if a buyer can be found. Still got £50m to find.

also...

2. BBC 2 60th anniversary coming up this year. Film crew (Harry Enfield & Co) will be at TVC (Yes TVC) next week to film.

IMO Best thing they could do for BBC 2 is to move most of BBC 4s` shows on to it, to help to return it to its original gravitas.

wow didn't know they were filing a speacial from tvc to mark bbc 2 60 years?
  • Options
    Andy WalmsleyAndy Walmsley Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More on BBC2's 50th anniversary celebrations.

This story was posted by the Radio Times last year:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-09-16/fast-show-comedians-poised-for-bbc2-reunion-next-year

When it was announced that controller Janice Hadlow was leaving, Broadcast said: "It was thought that Hadlow would remain in post to steer BBC2 through its 50th anniversary celebrations in April - which will be marked with a range of programming across the channel and BBC4 - but a new boss will be at the helm by then".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More on BBC2's 50th anniversary celebrations.

This story was posted by the Radio Times last year:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-09-16/fast-show-comedians-poised-for-bbc2-reunion-next-year

When it was announced that controller Janice Hadlow was leaving, Broadcast said: "It was thought that Hadlow would remain in post to steer BBC2 through its 50th anniversary celebrations in April - which will be marked with a range of programming across the channel and BBC4 - but a new boss will be at the helm by then".
    wow look forward to that
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Object Z wrote: »

wow didn't know they were filing a speacial from tvc to mark bbc 2 60 years?

They aren't because it is only 50 as pointed out many times above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They aren't because it is only 50 as pointed out many times above.

i would of thought 50 was good enough?