Options

Netflix

countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,486
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Mrs Countyboy is frustrated by lack of Sky Atlantic on Virgin, and also attracted by the shows that Netflix offers.
We have a V+ box. So what's the best way for me to keep the domestic peace by getting her Netflix? And the cost?
And do Netfix have the facility to send you DVDs, if they don't stream a series (e.g. Game of Thrones)?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    They do in the USA but not here.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Netflix uk don't do dvds it's just streaming, that may change in the future. As you have a V+ box it might be worth asking about upgrading to Tivo as Netflix is on Tivo and will not work on the other VM boxes but Tivo.
    Alternativly you could easily connect your computer to your tv via HDMI too and use Netflix that way.
    Netflix is free for your first month and then it is £5.99p/m afterwards. If you know about using Smart dns services (use google if not :D ) you can actually subscribe to HBO Nordic for your HBO shows and use different regions on Netflix too. HBO Nordic cost about £7.80p/m you'll have to play with the settings to get it in English but a English option is there. A smart dns service cost about £3p/m. This is how i personally do my tv viewing with my vm bb and the services i just mentioned it costs me £52.99p/m in total but that's because i'm on the 100mb bb. But that price will go down once my VM TV contract is up.
    If you just simply want a streaming service with dvds then Amazon prime may be the better option for you. It cost about £7.99p/m for streaming and dvds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    countyboy wrote: »
    Mrs Countyboy is frustrated by lack of Sky Atlantic on Virgin, and also attracted by the shows that Netflix offers.
    We have a V+ box. So what's the best way for me to keep the domestic peace by getting her Netflix? And the cost?
    And do Netfix have the facility to send you DVDs, if they don't stream a series (e.g. Game of Thrones)?
    Thanks.

get now tv from bskyb costs 4.99 amonth you get all sky atlantic etc box costs 9.99
    converts your tv into a smart tv no contract you can also buy day passes for sport films etc:)
  • Options
    countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    get now tv from bskyb costs 4.99 amonth you get all sky atlantic etc box costs 9.99
    converts your tv into a smart tv no contract you can also buy day passes for sport films etc:)

You've read my mind! After much research, and the help offered here by digital spy posters, I'm going with Now TV - if I can reduce my Virgin bill by £5, to cover the monthly charge.
  • Options
    EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D on UK Netflix?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've read my mind! After much research, and the help offered here by digital spy posters, I'm going with Now TV - if I can reduce my Virgin bill by £5, to cover the monthly charge.

Just speak to vm tell them you need to make a saving of around £5p/m due to personal circumstances. In my experience they were very helpful in getting me a pack to suit my needs within my set budget.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eira wrote: »
    Is Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D on UK Netflix?
    Well no considering Channel 4 are still showing it and are only a little behind the States. You can watch it for free on 4od.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

Invest in a Now TV box - that way you can watch Sky Atlantic - only prob is you cannot record on the TiVO box Sky Atlantic but

a) A lot of shows are on demand

b) you have 3 channels that you can record on the TiVO, and still watch Sky Atlantic on the Now TV box.

That is until Sky allows Virgin to show Atlantic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Netflix uk don't do dvds it's just streaming, that may change in the future.

Can't see why it would. DVD's are old technology, posting them is time consuming and wasteful not to mention inefficient and becoming a less popular means of delivery than years gone by.

I couldn't imagine Netflix taking such a backwards step.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »
    Can't see why it would. DVD's are old technology, posting them is time consuming and wasteful not to mention inefficient and becoming a less popular means of delivery than years gone by.

I couldn't imagine Netflix taking such a backwards step.
    It is all and well and good saying that but being able to offer DVD's/ Blu Rays means the content available to you is alot better because of rights issues. Also some people live in an area where the internet speed is poor.
    Netflix do still offer the DVD service in the US but it would be pointless to offer it outside the US. For starters Netflix doesn't even have an office outside the States and in the UK Lovefilm/ Amazon have the biggest market.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On tivo netflix. If someone has watched a film but later I want to. How do I get it to play from the beginning ? I seem to have to rewind the whole thing.
  • Options
    dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    On tivo netflix. If someone has watched a film but later I want to. How do I get it to play from the beginning ? I seem to have to rewind the whole thing.

You can't, netflix changed their interface across al devices and removed this handy feature
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dannylau wrote: »
    You can't, netflix changed their interface across al devices and removed this handy feature

Really. ..thats crazy. So it had it and they removed it. Wow.
  • Options
    ChalkukChalkuk Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Is there any buffering using the Now Tv box? And what's the picture quality like..I ask as I tried the Now Tv app on a PS3 and the picture was forever buffering and when not quality was poor...

No probs with Apple TV or Netflix so assume is either PS3 app or Now Tv
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chalkuk wrote: »
    Is there any buffering using the Now Tv box? And what's the picture quality like..I ask as I tried the Now Tv app on a PS3 and the picture was forever buffering and when not quality was poor...

No probs with Apple TV or Netflix so assume is either PS3 app or Now Tv

Netflix isn't on the NowTV box you'd be better off asking this in the online entertainment section as they'll be able to advise you better on Nowtv.