Price Drop has been advising Freeview viewers to retune on 31 March 2014.

tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
https://twitter.com/a516digital?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.a516digital.com%2F&profile_id=304042283&tw_i=449164218420707328&tw_p=embeddedtimeline&tw_w=269186836595884033
a516digital ‏@a516digital 3h
Price Drop has been advising #Freeview viewers to retune on 31 March.
Expand

What going on there then?:o:D:D:D

Comments

• eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At a guess - Bid and Price Drop are going to be cutting hours and timesharing on Bid's COM4 stream. As Price Drop is currently on COM5, a retune is needed.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    At a guess - Bid and Price Drop are going to be cutting hours and timesharing on Bid's COM4 stream. As Price Drop is currently on COM5, a retune is needed.

That sounds good to me.As that will free up a 18 hour slot.So we might get one of the four new channel starting on or just after this changes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    That sounds good to me.As that will free up a 18 hour slot.So we might get one of the four new channel starting on or just after this changes.

Not likely to be next week. As I've said in another thread, licenses are no guarantees that any channels will launch. I'm sure we would've heard something more substantial by now if one of the licensees intended to launch in the next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    Not likely to be next week. As I've said in another thread, licenses are no guarantees that any channels will launch. I'm sure we would've heard something more substantial by now if one of the licensees intended to launch in the next week.

Broadcaster dont always tell viewers what happen.I guess time will tell.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The advert says it's part of their "improved service plan" whatever that means.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    The advert says it's part of their "improved service plan" whatever that means.

IPTV?
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    "Best of Bid" goes 8am-1am and Price Drop gets it's own LCN on COM5, COM6, COM7 or Local??? :o

Let's see if Best of Bid advises a retune, if not this probably the plan.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AS the channel is already deleted, I shant bother retuning! It will automatically appear thanks to the way the TV is set up, but it too will be deleted!
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Has anybody in Wales lost Bid? It has been showing as not available in Wales on DUK's website for weeks, but I assumed it was an error - however apparently it is now showing no signal. Can anybody else confirm?
    Forum Member
    AngusMast wrote: »
    "Best of Bid" goes 8am-1am and Price Drop gets it's own LCN on COM5, COM6, COM7 or Local??? :o

Let's see if Best of Bid advises a retune, if not this probably the plan.

Bid, Price drop and Best of Bid are cited in the advert.

I assume they are moving to "cheaper accomodation" - most probably COM7 - as otherwise there'd be no reason to mention the retune on both channels, and there isn't space on any other mux for both (unless they are doing a timeshare, or maybe one is moving to COM7 and the other to LOCAL and/or an existing slot getting a new LCN for Best of Bid).
  • aberboyaberboy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    Has anybody in Wales lost Bid? It has been showing as not available in Wales on DUK's website for weeks, but I assumed it was an error - however apparently it is now showing no signal. Can anybody else confirm?

Bid is no longer available in Wales
  • epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an awful lot of speculation on various threads at the moment, I can't help feeling that some people will be disappointed when some of their predictions fail to materialise.

As far as Price-drop and bid are concerned, they have already exchanged EPG positions on Sky. The retune event could simply be switching LCNs on Freeview.

With new investors injecting a large amount of cash into the business, it doesn't make much sense to cut back on broadcasting hours and lose potential customers. Of course, they could be concentrating their efforts on one channel, with a view to winding down operations on the second channel. That remains to be seen.
    Forum Member
    aberboy wrote: »

Thanks.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    epsilon wrote: »
    There's an awful lot of speculation on various threads at the moment, I can't help feeling that some people will be disappointed when some of their predictions fail to materialise.

As far as Price-drop and bid are concerned, they have already exchanged EPG positions on Sky. The retune event could simply be switching LCNs on Freeview.

With new investors injecting a large amount of cash into the business, it doesn't make much sense to cut back on broadcasting hours and lose potential customers. Of course, they could be concentrating their efforts on one channel, with a view to winding down operations on the second channel. That remains to be seen.

The cost of the Freeview slots will form a substantial part of their cost burden. sit-up Ltd will need to make an assessment as to how much they can afford vs the cost of losing customers as a result of any reduction of service on Freeview.

The move on Sky put [Shop at] Bid on a higher ranking channel number, pushing price drop down the ranking to bid's old slot. On Freeview, bid already has the highest ranking slot.

Given the prioritising of bid over price drop, It's quite possible that [Shop at] Bid moves to Arq A to regain UK wide coverage, while Best of Bid/Price Drop switch to the reduced coverage slot on SDN.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    aberboy wrote: »

In Wales, does channel 23 just show no signal or does channel 23 not appear at all in the channel list? Local TV will be eyeing up that LCN if 23 has gone altogether.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCN 23 is removed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this mean Wales has gained True Entertainment? (Which isn't available in Wales as the slot is used by E4)
  • SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC ITV plc (as owner of SDN) was one of the creditors in the restructure process, and this, coupled with the changes to bid/price drop and news that ITV's planning more channels, has led me to consider this:
    It's possible that bid and ITV have agreed a reshuffle of slots on SDN as part of the new agreement; I would venture to suggest that the current bid slot on SDN would be taken by ITV for ITVbe (and to take ITV3 +1 fulltime until it launches); 'Best of Bid' (the evening programming on price drop) would move to the post-6pm, shared-with-CITV slot currently home to ITV3 +1, with the fulltime bid moved to the current PD slot on ARQA (thus regaining availability in Wales.)
    I'm just joining the dots here given that (a) the PD/Best of Bid split is currently 6pm; (b) ITV are looking for more capacity for their proposed new channels and (c) ITV are apparently owed money by the old bid, and may have taken a DTT slot as part-payment in lieu of what's owed. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but you'd have to say things line up pretty neatly...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, True Ent isn't available in Wales now either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    The cost of the Freeview slots will form a substantial part of their cost burden. sit-up Ltd will need to make an assessment as to how much they can afford vs the cost of losing customers as a result of any reduction of service on Freeview.

Which would have been part of the business plan agreed by the court approving the CVA and by the creditors at the meeting to approve the CVA.
    The move on Sky put [Shop at] Bid on a higher ranking channel number, pushing price drop down the ranking to bid's old slot. On Freeview, bid already has the highest ranking slot.

Indeed but the retune event on freeview could still simply be switching LCNs. In this case, not between the channels but between multiplexes.
    Given the prioritising of bid over price drop, It's quite possible that [Shop at] Bid moves to Arq A to regain UK wide coverage, while Best of Bid/Price Drop switch to the reduced coverage slot on SDN.

The current Price Drop slot could possibly be a short term arrangement to clear any old stock. I have to say there is a feeling of déjà vu with the Best of Bid slot, Sit-up replaced their Speed Auction channel with Bid Plus for a short while prior to closing that channel. As stated previously, it could be that their future plans involve focussing on their primary channel and winding down the second channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    In Wales, does channel 23 just show no signal or does channel 23 not appear at all in the channel list? Local TV will be eyeing up that LCN if 23 has gone altogether.

This raises another question. Guide Plus + is linked to Bid's PMT, has this additional EPG service now been discontinued in Wales, or have the data streams been linked to another channel's PMT?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (c) ITV are apparently owed money by the old bid, and may have taken a DTT slot as part-payment in lieu of what's owed.

If they are creditors, they will be bound by the terms of the CVA. They can't legally make other arrangements for sit-up to pay off any old debts, that would be prejudicial to other creditors.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Itv may have just enforced the contract for space on the SDN mux ....
    Which may have clauses in on what happens when the company enters into an agreement with their creditors .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itv may have just enforced the contract for space on the SDN mux ....
    Which may have clauses in on what happens when the company enters into an agreement with their creditors .

Indeed, a good contract should have such clauses in place as I have previously suggested in other threads.
  • stuharris63stuharris63 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Just checked my EPG, it seems to show that from next week, Shop with BID will broadcast between 0800 till 01:00 & Price Drop/Best Of Bid will operate between 07:45 & 01:30 with teleshopping through the night.

Presume the channels may be swapping MUX, perhaps so that Wales will see the main channel ie: Shop with BID rather than Price Drop/Best of BID.