Preacher wins damages for giving views on gay people

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
Forum Member
✭✭
http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/01/preacher-is-locked-up-for-giving-views-on-gay-people-4684815/
A Christian preacher has won £13,000 damages after police locked him up for 19 hours for quoting the Bible’s view on homosexuality to two gay teenagers.

John Craven said he was denied food, water and medication for his arthritis for 15 hours after his arrest for quoting Revelations 21:8 to the pair, who had asked what his stance on gay people was.

I feel that if he took this to court he may have received a lot more money than this.

Comments

• bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/01/preacher-is-locked-up-for-giving-views-on-gay-people-4684815/

I feel that if he took this to court he may have received a lot more money than this.

hopefully the money was because he was locked up without water, food and medication

not as a reward for being a repulsive homophobe
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    hopefully the money was because he was locked up without water, food and medication

not as a reward for being a repulsive homophobe

It was
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Whatever his views, it's not right that he was arrested and detained based on the news report.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So actually it is ...
    Person wins compensation for negligent treatment by police during detention
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Turning the other cheek, not so lucrative, it seems.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He was asked his views, he gave them.

Presumably the teenagers who asked him were the ones who reported him to the police?
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would have been more interesting if it had been proven that his treatment, whilst in custody, was discriminatory under The Equality Act 2010. :D
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah diddums. My heart bleeds. That' s a huge hourly rate. Do all homophobes qualify? The ignorant sods will be queueing up ranting their poison at the nearest cop, hoping for the same treatment. >:(
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I expect so. Its more than a bit daft to lock people up for answering a question.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    He was asked his views, he gave them.

Presumably the teenagers who asked him were the ones who reported him to the police?

Basically, yes.

Two gay men went up to him and asked his opinion of gay people. He gave an answer on the lines of 'hate the sin, love the sinner'. They then went and told the police on him...
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote: »
    Basically, yes.

Two gay men went up to him and asked his opinion of gay people. He gave an answer on the lines of 'hate the sin, love the sinner'. They then went and told the police on him...

It's behaviour like this that doesn't do young gay people any favours whatsoever. Morons.
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He shouldn't really have been locked up but I can't abide street preachers. I walk past several on my way to work every day. Although I wonder how he felt being persecuted rather than it being the other way around?
  • shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    Basically, yes.

He gave an answer on the lines of 'hate the sin, love the sinner'. ..

No he didn't, it says he quoted Revelation 21:8 to them, which says

"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

hardly, 'hate the sin, love the sinner'
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    its like something that you would expect to happen in russia or china ..not the uk..i think he could have got a lot more had it been the usa who have bigger payouts
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    shankly123 wrote: »
    No he didn't, it says he quoted Revelation 21:8 to them, which says

"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

hardly, 'hate the sin, love the sinner'

And the 2 young men then kissed, and simulated acts of homosexual sex in the street in front of him. Charming couple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    And the 2 young men then kissed, and simulated acts of homosexual sex in the street in front of him. Charming couple.

Homosexual sex? You mean anal? Not just the gays that do that. I think you mean "simulated sexual acts in the street" :)
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP has frequently posted homophobic views on the other threads, so it doesn't surprise me the headline of this thread is inaccurate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    The OP has frequently posted homophobic views on the other threads, so it doesn't surprise me the headline of this thread is inaccurate.

I'm not homophobic at all, but in any case, at least i'm not racist to people in the street.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not homophobic at all, but in any case, at least i'm not racist to people in the street.

Who was racist?
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    designer84 wrote: »
    Homosexual sex? You mean anal? Not just the gays that do that. I think you mean "simulated sexual acts in the street" :)

Hair splitting, but yes. Coarse, uncouth, disgusting in fact. And I would say the same whoever was doing it. That sort of behaviour is not helpful in gaining acceptance by people who are disposed to be friendly, let alone those already set against you.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    John Craven? he should have stayed with Newsround.

Anyway those two kids should have been locked up too, trouble makers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    Hair splitting, but yes. Coarse, uncouth, disgusting in fact. And I would say the same whoever was doing it. That sort of behaviour is not helpful in gaining acceptance by people who are disposed to be friendly, let alone those already set against you.

Well it's not really hair splitting when you are singling something out as an act that only one group of people do. Maybe it won't gain acceptance but at the same time I have a feeling his view was not likely to change anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    designer84 wrote: »
    Who was racist?

I wasn't referring to the preacher or anyone in the article.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't referring to the preacher or anyone in the article.

Oh ok. It was just an odd comment as it implied there was racism. I wouldn't expect anyone to be racist in the street either.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    So actually it is ...

No, it says that his claim was for false imprisonment, false arrest and breach of human rights.