Prize Money

BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It appears a lot of very ordinary, dour and frankly uninspiring teams will stay up in the prem this season and get paid tens of £millions as reward.
I reckon the current system of reward based on final league placing is too crude and should be changed to reward points and goals too.
It'd be the same pot of money to be divvied up but would be say, £1 million per point and £1million per goal.
I don't think we'll ever eradicate the mentality that finishing 17th is the prime objective for many clubs but currently there seems a growing gap/gulf between the top 6ish and the rest.... mid-table teams are miles off the pace of the top and quite near relegation. The three "mini leagues" within a league are rapidly becoming just two leagues - potential European spot hunters and relegation avoiders,

Comments

• celesticelesti Posts: 25,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it goes by league position, surely it already rewards points. Goals scored shouldn't be a consideration, league position is fine as is because football is more than exhibition.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Football is a sport, Its not a "entertainment" show. Next it will be a panel of "experts" awarding extra points for style and entertainment. Do we award money for clean sheets as well as goals? If not why not? A goal earns the club cash so why not a amazing tackle in the box? Or a goal-saving goal?

The better you do the better the reward as in any sport.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,787
    Forum Member
    Boselecta wrote: »
    It appears a lot of very ordinary, dour and frankly uninspiring teams will stay up in the prem this season and get paid tens of £millions as reward.
    I reckon the current system of reward based on final league placing is too crude and should be changed to reward points and goals too.
    It'd be the same pot of money to be divvied up but would be say, £1 million per point and £1million per goal.
    I don't think we'll ever eradicate the mentality that finishing 17th is the prime objective for many clubs but currently there seems a growing gap/gulf between the top 6ish and the rest.... mid-table teams are miles off the pace of the top and quite near relegation. The three "mini leagues" within a league are rapidly becoming just two leagues - potential European spot hunters and relegation avoiders,

Why not award £1m for clean sheets then? The aim of football is to win, scoring goals shouldn't be awarded.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    those "dour, uninspiring teams" just very occasionally cause an upset. Their fans love it, the "glorious inspiring team" fans hate it. I think its fine just the way it is.

Most of the lower teams accept that they are mid/low table teams and will never break into the top 6 (without some foreign billionaire taking over) but we get to upset a few of the top teams and their fans every now and then so I say leave it as it is :-)
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like all games to end with a winner, so 3 points or zero points. Penalty shoot out if the game ends in a draw after 90 minutes.

I remember the early MLS games where a draw resulted in a Ice Hockey style shoot-out during the playoffs.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    If it goes by league position, surely it already rewards points. Goals scored shouldn't be a consideration, league position is fine as is because football is more than exhibition.

But it's all too concertinaed in bottom half. Teams just a few points above the drop will finish several places up the table and under current system get several million extra £s. Current system focussing solely on position is fuelling the "17th equals success" mentality. I reckon it just leads to a lot of "bus parking" and attritional football that's not exciting in the long run and is massively detrimental to our game at a European and national level. I reckon anything that encourages "safe-ish" clubs like say, Villa or West Ham to go full tilt 'til the end and endeavour to get points and goals with expansive football will be good. I'd like to see likes of Delph and Carroll maybe going to World Cup on the back of a lot of expansive and attacking football under their belts.... not battle wearied and fagged out after "dogs of war" football.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if you want to start rewarding 'exciting' football specifically you're on a slippery slope, and one that'll be even more detrimental to the English game as the entire concept of defending is thrown out the window when seen as less important.
    Forum Member
    I'd like all games to end with a winner, so 3 points or zero points. Penalty shoot out if the game ends in a draw after 90 minutes.

I remember the early MLS games where a draw resulted in a Ice Hockey style shoot-out during the playoffs.

Even more ridiculous idea.
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    But if you want to start rewarding 'exciting' football specifically you're on a slippery slope, and one that'll be even more detrimental to the English game as the entire concept of defending is thrown out the window when seen as less important.

and who would decide what was exciting? If its just goals and a team start scoring 4 or 5 a game based on the old wimbledon long ball would they be punished for it not being exciting to everyone else?

SIlly idea, leave it as it is.
  • thegreytistthegreytist Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    and who would decide what was exciting? If its just goals and a team start scoring 4 or 5 a game based on the old wimbledon long ball would they be punished for it not being exciting to everyone else?

Exactly. Whose opinion will they use to overrule everyone else's in order to judge what is entertaining. I happen to find the Guardiola/Spain style of play even duller than a Pulis/Allardyce side. Sure with that you get some incredible individual moments of skill due to the sheer brilliance and talents of some of the players, but for the most part it's pass, pass, pass, pass without ever going anywhere. It's each to his own.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too have found Barcelona boring to watch on plenty of occasions. Possession for possession's sake, a lot of the time. I know it wears out the opposition and eventually then the gaps should come. But I don;t find it exciting to watch.

I was more excited by Bayern Munich when they won the Champions League. They are more direct and tend to pass more constructively.
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even more ridiculous idea.

Teams that play for goalless draws are just plain boring and I'd have a penalty shoot out any day over these dull matches. Whatever floats your boat...
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Robbie Savage and Joey Barton
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looked and only 7 teams have positive goal difference with man city and liverpool taking the lions share so realistically it would be a way to slap more money into the top third of the table and make it harder for the lower level teams to be able to compete making it a two tier league with the european competitors and the rest who just might as well just turn up and scrap it out to avoid relegation every year
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teams that play for goalless draws are just plain boring and I'd have a penalty shoot out any day over these dull matches. Whatever floats your boat...

Goalless draw please.

Goalless draws play their part in making other games more exciting. I defy anyone to claim a game of basketball to be more exciting because an extra 10/20 points are scored.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    A tactical battle that ends 0-0 can certainly be really entertaining. Anyone who defines football purely by goals is really missing out on huge aspects of the game and i can only imagine they live on MOTD highlights or something.
    Forum Member

Who mentioned goalless draws? You mentioned all draws. Plus are you saying that a 0-0 draw hasn't been a good match?
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't read that but wanting a penalty shoot out after all draws makes his point even worse.
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt there is enough money in the pot to offer one million per point or one million per goal! You only get around £15m for winning the damn thing, not the tens of millions you are suggesting op!
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    I doubt there is enough money in the pot to offer one million per point or one million per goal! You only get around £15m for winning the damn thing, not the tens of millions you are suggesting op!

You are joking, right? With the increased competition from BT and the increased funds from international broadcast deals, the winner this season will bag getting on £100m!

Last season Man United earned £60m but because there's so much money in the pot for this current 3-year deal, the team finishing 20th will earn over £60m even though they're taking the drop!
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    promo-only wrote: »
    You are joking, right? With the increased competition from BT and the increased funds from international broadcast deals, the winner this season will bag getting on £100m!

Last season Man United earned £60m but because there's so much money in the pot for this current 3-year deal, the team finishing 20th will earn over £60m even though they're taking the drop!

You are talking about broadcasting money I'm talking about actual prize money for each of the placings in the league there is a difference.
    Forum Member
    You are talking about broadcasting money I'm talking about actual prize money for each of the placings in the league there is a difference.

Correct. The actual prize money is only a small amount, the tv money is the big money, although it all does effectively come from tv anyway.
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It all comes from the central broadcasting funds so it's all one and the same. Yes, merit payment alone was maxed out at around £15m for Man Utd whereas QPR didn't even reach £1m in merit payment, yet they still netted nearly £40m before they dropped down. The beauty of the payments is that every club knows they're going to get an equal share of 50%.

The way the broadcasting money is distributed is perfect IMO. I'd much rather have it done as it is now instead of having a Real/Barca situation where they take most of it and let everybody else feed off the scraps.
  • Neo TokyoNeo Tokyo Posts: 356
    Forum Member

I used to watch these on Channel 5 when they had live MLS games.

The halfway penalty shootouts were so wrong and right at the same time.

I do love a good penalty shoot out which is why the World Cup is the best football competition in the world.
    Forum Member
    promo-only wrote: »
    It all comes from the central broadcasting funds so it's all one and the same. Yes, merit payment alone was maxed out at around £15m for Man Utd whereas QPR didn't even reach £1m in merit payment, yet they still netted nearly £40m before they dropped down. The beauty of the payments is that every club knows they're going to get an equal share of 50%.

The way the broadcasting money is distributed is perfect IMO. I'd much rather have it done as it is now instead of having a Real/Barca situation where they take most of it and let everybody else feed off the scraps.

Yes, but the thread is about prize money not total money.