Options

Capaldi "exhausted" and leaving after one series?

Comments

• Options
    BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The photos of him on the set on the crane and then talking to fans last week didn't show him to look in the least bit tired, let alone exhausted.

Sounds like a load of made up rubbish.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    If they could get the budget to make 24 episodes a year, I'm sure they'd be able to make arrangements to spread out filming over the year, and require a less intensive commitment from their leads, and not require them to find other jobs in the downtime.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good job they don't work for the USA then eh? 22-26 episodes a season?? Maybe not so much now - due to budgets etc!!
    But Doctor Who always had this problem - William and Pat suffered the most - doing most of the years episodes (along with companions) almost a year of episodes for three years each!!
    Jon Pertwee onwards, got the easy parts - they only filmed for six months programming!
    (26 x 25 minute episodes)
    The New Series is totally different. It's Twelve/Thirteen episodes (OK - a 45-minute episode...but same as 26 shorter eps!!) Filming/CGI and post-production take up more time along with sets and make-up. The actors only have to turn up when they are required surely? The actors are the ones that take the least of time to film nowadays surely? (as long as they remember their lines?!)

Now, I'm no actor - nor have I been on a studio-set....but I guess this is what goes on (looking at 'Behind the Scenes' stuff!!)

I'm hoping that Peter will continue on for another series anyway, after all that banter!:)

Part of the problem is the structure of the show. It's focused on only 2 characters, whereas many/most other shows can have many, many more characters which can take focus on them.

Also, as said above, apart from The Tardis, every episode has to have new sets, with new cast, costumes etc etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Focus on one character is not a problem.

How then Hugle Laurie could play House for 8 seasons with more then 20 episodes in each season??!

So, if Laurie could play House for 177 episodes than why Capaldi couldn't play Doctor for 50-60?
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    It's not a problem in and of itself, but it is a problem with the type of show it is. House is not an action adventure, scenes play out more slowly, and on a limited number of sets. Hugh Laurie didn't have to get shipped off to a new location every other day.

This is all hypothetical of course, none of us have worked on the sets of either show. But I imagine it's a bit like being a touring musician - it's exhausting being involved in the process, even if you're only spending a couple of hours on stage.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

How then Hugle Laurie could play House for 8 seasons with more then 20 episodes in each season??!

So, if Laurie could play House for 177 episodes than why Capaldi couldn't play Doctor for 50-60?

You are comparing apples to oranges here.

House - non-action character (can't even walk without the aid of a stick) walking through a purpose built standing set (or could even be a repurposed previous set/building). With a regular ensemble cast that the focus is on for at least a quarter of an episode.

That doesn't relate at all to Doctor Who.

Doctor Who - an action character (most frequently seen running) through new sets every episode (except where they repurpose existing sets as the plots allow/demand). With one or two other regular characters (sometimes none) who are nearly always around him when they have their focus.

Really not relatable at all.

I can't think of a single American show that has 20 - 26 episodes a year that can relate to the same shooting requirements as Doctor Who.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »

House - non-action character (can't even walk without the aid of a stick) walking through a purpose built standing set (or could even be a repurposed previous set/building). With a regular ensemble cast that the focus is on for at least a quarter of an episode.

Doctor Who - an action character (most frequently seen running) through new sets every episode (except where they repurpose existing sets as the plots allow/demand). With one or two other regular characters (sometimes none) who are nearly always around him when they have their focus.

I can't think of a single American show that has 20 - 26 episodes a year that can relate to the same shooting requirements as Doctor Who.

I think this debate has really gone off point now. How does having different sets make it more exhausting on the actors?
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    JackMShep wrote: »
    I think this debate has really gone off point now. How does having different sets make it more exhausting on the actors?

It doesn't necessarily. But it does mean there is a punishing time limit. You can't just take as long as you want to shoot as many scenes as you want somewhere that isn't your standing set. If you have the majority of the scenes set in, idk... a school, for example, when you atre filming will depend on when you can get the school. If you have the majority of the show filming there, then you will need to do the majority of filming in a very short space of time, then move onto the next. Bear in mind that a lot of the scenes of outside a building are not the outside of the building you film for the insides (only very occaisonally does this happen), then you have to move around a lot, and film a lot when you get there.

The luxury of having a static standing set means you can film at a slower pace.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who is a very hard show to film, so credit where it's due to everyone involved.

We've typically had 14 episodes a year since 2005.

The format of the show dictates that there are seldom more than two main protagonists, who appear in the majority of scenes and cannot rely on a rotation of scenes being filmed with other characters - they are always in demand.

The nature of the show means that they will be constantly on the move. Aside from the TARDIS set, they're having to film on newly constructed sets frequently and on location regularly - in all weather, in costume, and only when the location allows - be that at 6am in the morning or in the middle of a typical lunch break. Scenes must also be filmed to a tight schedule and so there is a pressing requirement to dedicate time outside of work to learning your script and your acting ability. There is a need to film abroad sometimes - a nice holiday perhaps but it adds to a tiring experience. Many episodes are filmed in locations hundreds of miles apart, occasionally thousands, and both scenes and episodes are filmed out of order. On top of that you have to learn lines that will often include invented future elements that have never been uttered before - not an easy thing to do, especially when every series ushers in both new and old writers with different styles to adapt to.

Between the constant travelling, high-octane action scenes, the need to improvise for CGI, tough hours and then the need to put a smiling face on for the fans there is nothing I can imagine that is quite like acting in Doctor Who. Good on Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, Capaldi, Piper, Agyeman, Tate, Gillan, Darvill and Coleman for taking on this mountainous challenge :D
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, my respect levels, which were already high have just gone up triple level for Doctor Who cast and crew!

There I was just a humble viewer thinking all this just happened magically. Thanks for the post Abomination, your post and all the recent ones on this topic have really highlighted the effort behind this show :)
  • Options
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »

Apparently, as I recall reading somewhere at the time, Hugh Laurie found using the cane gave him back problems in the early years. That doesn't take anything from your point just thought I'd throw that in :D
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Capaldi is in his mid fifties and apparently fit as a flea, whatever that means. Read somewhere (citation needed ;-) ) that he's run the marathon in recent years. Maybe Twelve might not be running hell for leather down corridors every episode, but that is hardly a prerequisite for being a good Doctor! Hartnell rocked, and wasn't the fastest mover in the Universe. Pertwee had awful problems with his back, but it he did five full series and was no spring chicken either.

Think Peter C will probably do 3 full series. That's my personal prediction. Might have to eat my fez, but one series only? No way pedro.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I am hugely sceptical of this rumour for many reasons.

1. Capaldi is a huge fan, and would likely want to stick around for longer, if not for himself then for the good of the show.

2. He is only 55. That's not exactly old, not by today's standards. Retirement age is mid-sixties, and plenty of people older than he is work in very physically demanding jobs. Just because he's older than other recent Doctors, doesn't mean we need to worry about him. He is reportedly very fit and healthy.

3. He is the same age as Hartnell was. Hartnell, in spite of having serious health problems, managed to film three seasons of roughly 40 episodes per season (equivilant to 20 NuWho episodes). He filmed almost all year round with hardly a break.

4. The Doctor does not have to be an action hero, constantly running around and shouting and waving his screwdriver and posing dramatically, and the performance does not have to be wildly energetic. I for one am hoping for a break from such antics. Having seen Capaldi filming, I can tell you that he does not need to run, because he can stride, and that he can accomplish more by moving a few facial muscles than any Doctor ever has by jumping up and down.

5. Moffat made a point of bumping up the total of regenerations, seemingly because he wanted to tell the story of how the Doctor gets a new regeneration cycle. This suggests to me that he is expecting to leave before Capaldi does, otherwise he could have just waited for Capaldi's regeneration. Okay, there could be unforseen circumstances, Capaldi could leave sooner than Moffat expected, but the rumours make it sound like one season was The Plan all along. I don't believe that any more than I believe that Capaldi is too exhausted to continue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Also, it just occurred to me, if Capaldi was so exausted, why would he still be spending every break from location filming, out in the cold, talking to fans and posing for photos? Surely he would be seizing every opportunity to rest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Jon_Jones wrote: »
    I am hugely sceptical of this rumour for many reasons.

1. Capaldi is a huge fan, and would likely want to stick around for longer, if not for himself then for the good of the show.

2. He is only 55. That's not exactly old, not by today's standards. Retirement age is mid-sixties, and plenty of people older than he is work in very physically demanding jobs. Just because he's older than other recent Doctors, doesn't mean we need to worry about him. He is reportedly very fit and healthy.

3. He is the same age as Hartnell was. Hartnell, in spite of having serious health problems, managed to film three seasons of roughly 40 episodes per season (equivilant to 20 NuWho episodes). He filmed almost all year round with hardly a break.

4. The Doctor does not have to be an action hero, constantly running around and shouting and waving his screwdriver and posing dramatically, and the performance does not have to be wildly energetic. I for one am hoping for a break from such antics. Having seen Capaldi filming, I can tell you that he does not need to run, because he can stride, and that he can accomplish more by moving a few facial muscles than any Doctor ever has by jumping up and down.

5. Moffat made a point of bumping up the total of regenerations, seemingly because he wanted to tell the story of how the Doctor gets a new regeneration cycle. This suggests to me that he is expecting to leave before Capaldi does, otherwise he could have just waited for Capaldi's regeneration. Okay, there could be unforseen circumstances, Capaldi could leave sooner than Moffat expected, but the rumours make it sound like one season was The Plan all along. I don't believe that any more than I believe that Capaldi is too exhausted to continue.

This is a very strong argument that I expect will put the argument to rest ;-)
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    BinCat wrote: »
    The photos of him on the set on the crane and then talking to fans last week didn't show him to look in the least bit tired, let alone exhausted.

Sounds like a load of made up rubbish.

That's basically what this rumour is - made up rubbish.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having witnessed his tired performance in ep 1 (via the leak!), I think this rumour may be true. Moffat must have seen the rushes (the early scenes) and got concerned by how tired Capaldi is in the part? It's patently obvious in ep 1! :o

Matt Smith was in a different league to this guy. Wow.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't worry guys, our pal Ray is spewing the same nonsense elsewhere. Only it may get him banned there. DS is very lenient.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll see it in August and you'll go "wow, Ray was right. Capaldi is too tired and non-charismatic for the part." People took to Daniel Craig as Bond so who knows, he might win fans over but I fear Capaldi may be the first actor to be completely miscast as the Doctor. I'm just concerned, that's all. Let's wait and see!
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet Tennant looked a lot tireder in The Christmas Invasion. Lazy beggar stayed in bed for most of it...

And Davison spent rather a lot of Castrovalva flat on his back too. And then Mr Pertwee took a while to drag himself out of bed in Spearhead. You can't get the staff.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I'm suuuuuure that's exactly what I'll do. No question.

It's not like Capaldi has done anything else. I'll return here on the night of August 7th.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Don't worry guys, our pal Ray is spewing the same nonsense elsewhere. Only it may get him banned there. DS is very lenient.

Too lenient perhaps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    This Eddie seems like a ****. I mean his latest tweet is a spoiler for Episode 2 already, don't trust someone who pisses on the real fans.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Having witnessed his tired performance in ep 1 (via the leak!), I think this rumour may be true. Moffat must have seen the rushes (the early scenes) and got concerned by how tired Capaldi is in the part? It's patently obvious in ep 1! :o

Matt Smith was in a different league to this guy. Wow.

Are you Matt Smith's agent or something?

Re Peter Capaldi being tired - this is the same Peter Capaldi who's been full of beans for the duration of the series shoot, the same Peter Capaldi who is now embarking on a 5 continent promo tour, the same Peter Capaldi who will film the Christmas special as soon as he's back from the tour?

Blimey, imagine how much more Capaldi could do if he wasn't so very very tired all the time...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    You'll see it in August and you'll go "wow, Ray was right. Capaldi is too tired and non-charismatic for the part." People took to Daniel Craig as Bond so who knows, he might win fans over but I fear Capaldi may be the first actor to be completely miscast as the Doctor. I'm just concerned, that's all. Let's wait and see!

There is a forum action button with your name written all over it. The 'deactivate my account' one. Shame it doesn't exist.