Options

dental implants -London

Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
Forum Member
✭✭
I knew it was going to be expensive but I wasn't expecting to have to pay £100 just for the consultation (I've got a budget of £1.5K, for one tooth, but I intended to get some quotes, but not for £100 each!)

Can anyone recommend any dentists? (even if I have to pay for a consultation)

Going abroad is not an option due to my legal status.

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    I knew it was going to be expensive but I wasn't expecting to have to pay £100 just for the consultation (I've got a budget of £1.5K, for one tooth, but I intended to get some quotes, but not for £100 each!)

I would suggest asking your regular NHS dentist if he/she can recommend someone in the private sector who can reliably do this work. This one near me http://thedentalimplantclinic.com/ has a good local reputation but I've never had to use its services. Wherever you go, it will be expensive so please bear that in mind.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a budget of £1.5K, for one tooth, but I intended to get some quotes, but not for £100 each!

Sorry to piss on your bonfire, but you'll be bloody lucky to get a dental implant (restored with a crown as well) for £1.5K, especially in London.

Add another grand on top and you're closer to the mark.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP I really cant stress how important it is do the research on this before you let anyone start. Owing to my illness I lost most of my Teeth at a very young age. And was giving implants via the NHS even this have been a disaster.

the lower ones are fine but the upper ones this happened to me last year
    Its a graphic picture so be warned.

http://s29.postimg.org/a2jkewgzr/mouth2.jpg

basically when the dentist did the implants he failed to calibrate the new bridge with the implants and it meant over some years material from my mouth was going under it causes massive infections in the jawbone itself as a result I still don't have any upper teeth they are trying to wait and give me some bone graphs. The Maxifillio team want to try new implants at some point but when things go wrong they really go wrong. Point being even via NHS things can go wrong I would ask around find out what Dentists have a good reputation and don't be scared about asking what if things go wrong.

good luck and remember don't be scared about coming across as "cheeky" because its a lot of money and if things go wrong its horrendous trying to sort it out.

*sorry forgot to say my friend in Wimbledon wanted one implant and the figure was 600 pounds
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    OP I really cant stress how important it is do the research on this before you let anyone start. Owing to my illness I lost most of my Teeth at a very young age. And was giving implants via the NHS even this have been a disaster.

the lower ones are fine but the upper ones this happened to me last year
    Its a graphic picture so be warned.

http://s29.postimg.org/a2jkewgzr/mouth2.jpg

basically when the dentist did the implants he failed to calibrate the new bridge with the implants and it meant over some years material from my mouth was going under it causes massive infections in the jawbone itself as a result I still don't have any upper teeth they are trying to wait and give me some bone graphs. The Maxifillio team want to try new implants at some point but when things go wrong they really go wrong. Point being even via NHS things can go wrong I would ask around find out what Dentists have a good reputation and don't be scared about asking what if things go wrong.

good luck and remember don't be scared about coming across as "cheeky" because its a lot of money and if things go wrong its horrendous trying to sort it out.

*sorry forgot to say my friend in Wimbledon wanted one implant and the figure was 600 pounds

Christ poor you. Hope you get sorted soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your legal status? Are you on bail? :confused:
  • Options
    gamernewbiegamernewbie Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Sorry to piss on your bonfire, but you'll be bloody lucky to get a dental implant (restored with a crown as well) for £1.5K, especially in London.

Agreed, I recently paid £2.2k for an implant and a new crown and that was nowhere near London! Get a referral from your nhs dentist and they will give you a ball park figure straight up.
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Years ago when implants were quite new, I was referred to A Sethi by a top dentist. Sethi was then a pioneer of dental implants and gave me a very thorough, careful and detailed written assessment and advice about the whole process and costs etc. http://www.ashoksethi.co.uk/dr_ashok_sethi.html
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uffa wrote: »
    Christ poor you. Hope you get sorted soon.

You don't know the half of it Uffa... Oathy has been treated abysmally all round, it makes my blood boil. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    You don't know the half of it Uffa... Oathy has been treated abysmally all round, it makes my blood boil. >:(

:(:(:(:(:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My first trawl through internet suggested 1.5K was the usual amount, but a second look does suggest its more like 2K to 3K, I also have a feeling they are going to suggest having all the teeth removed and do it all for £15-20K (its a good point, just wish I had some independent person to discuss it with, I may go the my local NHS dentist to discuss.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »

Hi flower xxx
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I looked into getting two tooth implants recently and was also told it would be £100 for a consultation and I am not living in London.

I was told about £3,000 for the two implants. However, when I went for the consultation, one of the first questions I was asked was about any medication that I take. Because, I have several illnesses I am on quite a few medications and one of them would make it dangerous to go ahead with implants as it could cause a dangerous infection in my jaw bone. This shows just how important it is to have a good consultation first. At least the dentist I saw was very fair and said that because he couldn't do anything for me, he would not charge for the consultation.

Just be very careful and I wish you well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the end I went here
    http://www.scarsdaledental.co.uk/prices/
    Based in Earls court. The price were significantly lower than everywhere else, and matched the cheapest I had seen anywhere else in the UK.

As with all dentists I was examined by there is always a bit of "extra" work that needs doing that affects the price from a "mere" implant to "an implant with ..."

The practice is established and has been around for a few decades, and the dentists himself seems to have been a of the practice for several years. There is no hint he is from elsewhere simply hear to make lots of money and then "return back home", as so many dentists now appear to do (in London).

Most importantly I did not feel as if I was on a conveyor belt of patients all undergoing implants. (although at the price i paid I would not have been bothered even if I had).

Sorry to dwell on price, but given how much I "saved", it can't be ignored.
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumping this thread to ask of people's experience of the implant process,as Im going to need one eventually and my fear of normal dentists is bad enough without one drilling in to my jaw lol.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Bumping this thread to ask of people's experience of the implant process,as Im going to need one eventually and my fear of normal dentists is bad enough without one drilling in to my jaw lol.

I went to this dentist for my implants: Basil Mizrahi over 10 years ago and It was the best 7 grand I've ever spent. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    I went to this dentist for my implants: Basil Mizrahi over 10 years ago and It was the best 7 grand I've ever spent. Highly recommended.

Thats not answering my question though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The procedure is painless because you are given injections to numb the area. I had a sliver of bone removed from my lower jaw and implanted into my upper jaw because there wasn't enough bone to hold the implants. When that had healed, I had the titanium implants fitted and a bridge fitted. All under local anaesthetic while I was awake in the dentist chair. The whole procedure took about two years. It was worth it because I know have a perfect set of nashers.
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.brightonimplantclinic.co.uk/dental-implants-prices/

This might be worth an hour on the train or car for if they are as cheap as they say - Worth checking out. There prices are way way cheaper than you have been quoted, plus they do a free consultation with x ray!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The procedure is painless because you are given injections to numb the area. I had a sliver of bone removed from my lower jaw and implanted into my upper jaw because there wasn't enough bone to hold the implants. When that had healed, I had the titanium implants fitted and a bridge fitted. All under local anaesthetic while I was awake in the dentist chair. The whole procedure took about two years. It was worth it because I know have a perfect set of nashers.

How long does the drilling take per implant obviously and what does it feel like?
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP seems to have resolved his problem, so that's good, but for anyone else who's contemplating implants this MAY help.
    Some 12- 15 years back, my wife was advised by the Periodontal Department at Guy's Hospital, that implants were the best way to go for her dental condition.
    I had a look around, and settled on a dental practice in Victoria SW1.
    After an assessment, we were told that the treatment could be done, but that the cost would be in excess of £25,000, I said, "Don't call us, we'll call you."
    Bearing in mind how long ago this was, £25K was a lot of green.
    To make a long story short, I found a Belgian dentist, with a practice in Portugal, who did the job for around £11,000, and left my wife with a movie star smile, which she still has.
    It involved one trip for the initial assessment, then a further three for the treatment, we treated these as mini vacations, and even after flights and apartment/hotel fees we still came out streets ahead money wise.
    We had a two week vacation in Portugal some two years back, and while there I phoned the dentist to see whether it might be an idea to have her implants checked.
    He gave me an appointment over the phone, I drove the 60 klms. to his clinic a few days later, and he gave her a clean bill of health, for free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long does the drilling take per implant obviously and what does it feel like?

The drilling takes seconds and you can't feel anything other than the vibration. I have to say it was less painful than the pain of the mouth infection I got as a result of losing the original tooth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The drilling takes seconds and you can't feel anything other than the vibration. I have to say it was less painful than the pain of the mouth infection I got as a result of losing the original tooth.

Seconds??! Really? I imagined it wouldnt take long but thats impressive.Did you have sedation? I read somewhere the drugs make you forget the procedure.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say that the drilling takes 'seconds' is completely accurate! :o

I've had two done - one front incisor and one molar and they were very different experiences and they were done differently (by the same dentist)

The incisor took 5 and a half hours! The local anaesthetic didn't take because apparently due to previous surgeries in the area, I have nerves growing into the bone which aren't affected by the local. I also have extremely dense bone in that area. So, I endured 14mm of drilling hell, which the dentist has never let me forget - said he felt like he'd gone 12 rounds with Mike Tyson! Then the titanium post broke so he had to take it out and put another one in. The permanent crown was actually put on during that visit and is still completely solid, so a good result despite the initial problems.

The molar was very different - the drilling was done within about 15 minutes with no pain (which is FAR more normal than the experience above!) I had a bone graft to ensure there was enough bone for the implant to mesh with. A temporary crown was put on for 4 months to allow the implant to take, after which the permanent one was put on. Again, it's very sold and no problem now.

I wouldn't hesitate to have another one done as I know that my first experience was not normal - the dentist said he's done hundreds and that is the first and last time he's ever encountered the same problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seconds??! Really? I imagined it wouldnt take long but thats impressive.Did you have sedation? I read somewhere the drugs make you forget the procedure.

It doesn't take long for someone to drill a hole in your jawbone with a high powered drill! I only had local anaesthetic. I had two actual implants and a bridge. The bone transplant was a much more complicated procedure involving surgery and stitches. The bone was screwed into place using titanium screws and that took months to heal before the implants were inserted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't take long for someone to drill a hole in your jawbone with a high powered drill! I only had local anaesthetic. I had two actual implants and a bridge. The bone transplant was a much more complicated procedure involving surgery and stitches. The bone was screwed into place using titanium screws and that took months to heal before the implants were inserted.

Thanks. I need sedation id want to be out of it lol.