What is the technical name for this type of bike brake?

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
Forum Member
The rear brakes are not slowing the bike as they have come apart in several points

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i82qsy3em63dtm1/IMAG0227.jpg

What is the name of this type so I can get them ordered up? Getting a bit hairy as the front ones are failing too...

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linear pull / v-brakes
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
  • marknotgeorgemarknotgeorge Posts: 2,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a very dirty V-brake.

If you look at the left hand side according to the picture, the angled metal tube (called the noodle) should locate in the cutout of the clip at the end of the bracket. The Park Tools website has very a very good bike maintenance section.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Linear pull / v-brakes

Brilliant! Thanks for that - I was typing in everything but the correct one.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,890
    Forum Member
    I'd maybe get a new tyre as well!
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    If you look at the left hand side according to the picture, the angled metal tube (called the noodle) should locate in the cutout of the clip at the end of the bracket. The Park Tools website has very a very good bike maintenance section.

I was gonna say that.

I hope the OP is aware that he needs to hook the cable back into the bracket on the left control arm in order for the brakes to work.

Also, erm, yeah... new tyre wouldn't go amiss.
  • quiniequinie Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blooming 'ell - you're not riding it like that are you?! The brakes not even attached!

... don't even get me started on the tyre!

Watch yourself if you are riding that - also, relying on the front brakes can often result in "over the handlebars" moments!

.. take it from one who knows! :blush:
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the input. Regarding the tyre, they are solid ones so the cuts and what have you are not critical. It's not my bike I hasten to add but it is a friend's daily commute bike and I'm helping him with it.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. Regarding the tyre, they are solid ones so the cuts and what have you are not critical. It's not my bike I hasten to add but it is a friend's daily commute bike and I'm helping him with it.

Yes they are. That tyre is close to total disintegration and that bike should not be ridden.