Options

Apple have shipped over 500m iPhones since 2007

jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
Forum Member
The iPhone first launched June 2007 in the USA and was sold out straight away. After just 3 months the iPhone had sold over 1 million units and it had shipped over 6 million units by the time it was discontinued over a year later. Since the release of the original iPhone sales have continued to grow for Apple and as of March 31st 2014 it is estimated that over 500 million total units have been shipped since June 2007.

The Samsung Galaxy S series has shipped over 200 million units since 2010 which is a huge achievement. But the iPhone has been the biggest success story overall and really shows how big the iPhone has gotten over the years. No other company has shipped this many units of a series of phones. However it's worth looking at the big picture. In 2013, over 750 million phones shipped were running Android. And only 150 million phones were running iOS. So even though Apple have shipped 500 Million iOS phones to date in the past 7 years, Android devices have shipped more in just one year. So in terms of OS, Android is the bigger one, but in terms of single manufacturer Apple are doing exceptionally well and are consistently the second largest smartphone manufacturer behind Samsung.

It also looks like Apple's shipments are about to flat line. Many experts believe that Apples YOY growth for their Q2 2014 report will be under 10%. Last year Apple shipped 37.4m iPhones in Q2, this year they are expected to ship just 37.8m smartphones despite their huge deal with China Mobile. So whilst Apple have seen a very successful run so far that beats the competition hands down it'll be interesting to see if they can they keep it up? Will they be able to ship over 150m units in 2014 and keep up with the ever growing smartphone market? Or will they lose market share whilst shipments flat line or even decrease. Guess it all depends on the iPhone 6.

Comments

• Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can do both. The can loose market share and sell more handsets in a market that is increasing in size.

They are irrelevant now though to the direction of smartphones. They just follow the leaders and copy features.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    In all fairness we will not see, at least for a long time, a single product that that had the impact of the iphone. Although the bubble relatively has burst, the fact it can still sell in such numbers in it's current form is testament to the incredible draw of the brand.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    In all fairness we will not see, at least for a long time, a single product that that had the impact of the iphone. Although the bubble relatively has burst, the fact it can still sell in such numbers in it's current form is testament to the incredible draw of the brand.

+ they are great products for people

unlike fanboys that stick to particular groups, and as a android user at the moment. the iPhone is a fantastic device and probably is still the best overall smart phone.
  • Options
    sdduksdduk Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    The trouble is Apple are running out of ideas what to do next.....WAS the KING of smart phones But not any more the others have already done a lot of the stuff iPhone can do
    and better IE: Bigger screens, Better Camera's

I am not a fan-boy of any phone because i have a Android, iphone and windows and they are all good at something.:D
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    + they are great products for people

unlike fanboys that stick to particular groups, and as a android user at the moment. the iPhone is a fantastic device and probably is still the best overall smart phone.

It's a great phone indeed, but it is not the best. Its not even close to being the best. One reason for this is yesterday, me, the mrs and my dad were in Boots. He took a pic of me and the Mrs and wanted it printed out. We used that kiosk thing that prints out the pics, but for the life of us we just could not figure out (3 of us) how to send the pic to the kiosk via bluetooth. In the end, he had to send me the pic via whatsapp, then i had to send it to the kiosk thing via bluetooth which was a case of pressing one button.

Still can't figure out what the problem was, but the new look of the menu pop ups is absolutely awful. It is very childish in looks. I wish they would go back to the iOS6 look. Even that wasn't great looking, but its better than it was.

Back on topic, if the S series went on sale at the same time as the iphone, we indeed would have seen a phone range selling as fast as the iphone and seen pretty much equal sales. The iphone had a 3 year start so the numbers are not surprising.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite an achievement really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Quite an achievement really.

I agree.

But Apple really need to make the iPhone 6 appeal in all markets in order for them to maintain sales. If the iPhone 6 is just a rehashed 5S then I really don't see Apple growing in terms of phone shipments this year.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Market share isn't really important to those manufacturers who make their money from hardware over software. The key number is the bottom line and the expanding user base. Why do you think Samsung and Apple generally avoid discussions around market share? It makes no difference to them if they have over half the market in a given country, it makes for great statistics but it really doesn't impact their bottom line. I would say this is the same for all hardware makers. Now for someone like Google or Microsoft, its software and services where it makes its money so Market share is very much important to their longevity and revenue potential.

That said Apple has done well selling so many iPhones, is it a case now that Apple is just one in a great line of handset makers and doesn't really offer anything different to other device makers (Samsung, HTC et al)? I have an iPhone and a Moto G they are both fantastic handsets but honestly the difference between then is moot, they both do the same thing....

Marketshare is folly, sales numbers are what matters....however I am with consensus Apple will begin to flatline this year and I suspect Samsung will at some point as well.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Of course they care about market share and growth, especially as they are a software seller, regardless whether you think they aren't.

Apple's 2014 phone strategy documents at the ongoing trial demonstrate they are very concerned about market share and why you will see a bigger iphone as currently "consumers want what we don't have"

http://www.scribd.com/doc/216526160/Apple-Fy-14-Planning
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »

That said Apple has done well selling so many iPhones, is it a case now that Apple is just one in a great line of handset makers and doesn't really offer anything different to other device makers (Samsung, HTC et al)? I have an iPhone and a Moto G they are both fantastic handsets but honestly the difference between then is moot, they both do the same thing....

Marketshare is folly, sales numbers are what matters....however I am with consensus Apple will begin to flatline this year and I suspect Samsung will at some point as well.

There is one glaringly obvious difference.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member

Touch ID?

I mean day to day functions they both offer the same just with different paint applied
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Touch ID?

I mean day to day functions they both offer the same just with different paint applied

He means price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Back on topic, if the S series went on sale at the same time as the iphone, we indeed would have seen a phone range selling as fast as the iphone and seen pretty much equal sales. The iphone had a 3 year start so the numbers are not surprising.

Correct.

In the same time frame the Galaxy S series has shipped 200 million units in 4 years.
    The iPhone shipped ~110m units in it's first 4 years. (However, since Galaxy S first launched Apple have shipped ~410m iPhone's)

However it's worth bearing in mind that the smartphone market was much smaller when Apple started out. iPhone is outselling the Galaxy S series currently.

iPhone is still Apples most profitable product but they wouldn't want to see sales flat line in an expanding smartphone market.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    It's a great phone indeed, but it is not the best. Its not even close to being the best. One reason for this is yesterday, me, the mrs and my dad were in Boots. He took a pic of me and the Mrs and wanted it printed out. We used that kiosk thing that prints out the pics, but for the life of us we just could not figure out (3 of us) how to send the pic to the kiosk via bluetooth. In the end, he had to send me the pic via whatsapp, then i had to send it to the kiosk thing via bluetooth which was a case of pressing one button.

Still can't figure out what the problem was, but the new look of the menu pop ups is absolutely awful. It is very childish in looks. I wish they would go back to the iOS6 look. Even that wasn't great looking, but its better than it was.

I know why you could Bluetooth the photo :)

I had the same issue and the boots assistant after 25 mins decided to inform that apple won't let them link up to there Bluetooth or something . So Bluetooth and Apple is a no no on the machines and I have no idea why boots don't have a sign up as it would help of people struggling with this .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    asyousay wrote: »
    I know why you could Bluetooth the photo :)

I had the same issue and the boots assistant after 25 mins decided to inform that apple won't let them link up to there Bluetooth or something . So Bluetooth and Apple is a no no on the machines and I have no idea why boots don't have a sign up as it would help of people struggling with this .

It's not that!

I researched it earlier and have no idea why i forgot about it! Bluetooth on iphones is utterly useless. It wont let you bluetooth a pic or a music file etc to anyone. Not just restricted to those kiosk things.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    It's not that!

I researched it earlier and have no idea why i forgot about it! Bluetooth on iphones is utterly useless. It wont let you bluetooth a pic or a music file etc to anyone. Not just restricted to those kiosk things.

Oooh - the boots guy said apple wouldn't let them do it . I stand corrected :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We also forget how much more revenue Apple make via the app store / itunes compared to Google Play.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We also forget how much more revenue Apple make via the app store / itunes compared to Google Play.

Do we?...

Lets also not forget that apple charge for some apps that are free on Android.

Do us all a favour, hurry up and buy an iphone ffs....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do we?...

Do us a favour and stop denying the truth. Rallying for androids cause only.
    They make great stuff and there's no sides in this argument. I'm not a apple or android fanboy. Just someone who uses tech.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we?...

Stiggles, Apple don't "charge" for anything.

Developers choose whether they charge for an app or not.

Developers choose whether they make an app paid for or free.

Developers choose the method they use to monetise their apps.

Developers make a decision as to whether they believe the market will support a paid for app, or whether they believe that the market simply won't pay for an app, so they choose to go ad-supported free distribution.

I'll support a lot of your posts, but this one is factually incorrect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles, Apple don't "charge" for anything.

Developers choose whether they charge for an app or not.

Developers choose whether they make an app paid for or free.

Developers choose the method they use to monetise their apps.

Developers make a decision as to whether they believe the market will support a paid for app, or whether they believe that the market simply won't pay for an app, so they choose to go ad-supported free distribution.

I'll support a lot of your posts, but this one is factually incorrect.

Dont apple charge a fee?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do us a favour and stop denying the truth. Rallying for androids cause only.

What truth? That both sides make good stuff, but apple's stuff is in actual fact, as has been proved to you numerous times, is no better than the competition? That apples stuff uses mostly the same components as any other high end phone so actually cant possibly be better? Oh and also the fact apple builds absolutely nothing. They design it and a cheap factory which make probably the worst computer components in living history in china builds them.

Oh, and im no fanboy. Nor do i rally for one side. I use whatever i find i like at the time. A while back that was my iphone 4S. That got boring very quickly so i moved over again. So far apple has made nor done anything to tempt me back. Basic same design, same small screen, same boring, stale looking OS, lack of customisation etc. IF they change this, i will buy one immediately more than likely.

The way it stands, apple are no longer exciting. They are very boring.
    They make great stuff and there's no sides in this argument. I'm not a apple or android fanboy. Just someone who uses tech.

You don't use tech. You are a wannabe fanboy. You wish you owned apple tech but clearly cant. Difference is, i have. You were the one hammering on about cost how you don't need this or that in a phone when buying your nexus 5.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You say all of that, but you just spun a yarn about how the iPhone couldn't be the best phone because of one feature that didn't work as well as on other phones, as if that one example added some sort of objectivity.

I would have though the same argument could be made for or against any phone, and that anyone thinking any phone was or wasn't the best would largely be down to personal preference and be a bit more subjective.

With this charge of Apple's - you tell is, you seemed to be pretty sure earlier. Does this mean some developers pay Apple this charge, but still charge £0 for their app? Sounds a bit odd to me.

Although thinking about it I'm not sure how it works with Apple taking their 30% cut, less that's only for in app purchases / subscriptions?

And I would have thought that Amazon / Google take cuts as well, or have they missed a trick there?
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont apple charge a fee?

Apple take a percentage of 30% from developers from paid apps. Google do the same with the Play store.

The fact remains that it's down to the individual developer to decide whether they charge for applications, or make them free with ads in. The decision lies with the developer, not with Apple, or Google, or Amazon, or anyone else who runs an app store.

Based on my recent experience with apps for the Nexus 4 and for iOS, paid apps are paid apps on both platforms - for example Weather Pro, Week Calendar, CoPilot...

Also based on recent experience, it seems to me that there are an ever increasing number of apps which are free to download, but that include in-app purchase items to gain use of the full package of features - similar to how shareware trial versions used to work back in the days of Palm and Windows Mobile. Again, this would be the decision of the developer to make that choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just doing a few other comparisons here.

Apple don't break down individual model sales so it's very hard to estimate exactly how many units each model shipped. Same goes for Samsung as well but they're a bit more open about milestones whilst being very vague about the actual specific numbers.

Here is what we know so far- (> means greater than)
    Galaxy S > 25 Million
    Galaxy S2 > 50 million
    Galaxy S3 > 60 million
    Galaxy S4 > 63 million
    Galaxy S5 > 35 million (estimated by June 2014)

iPhone > 6.1 million
    iPhone 3G > 16 million