Options

Are school residential trips worth it?

EsensuelleEsensuelle Posts: 1,722
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As title. My friend is panicking as her daughter brought home a letter informing parents of a residential school trip; 4 days for £395 for the end of September. We had a bit of a heated debate about it as she feels these trips should be scrapped altogether as it's unfair on those who can't afford to go. By the same token, by doing that, wouldn't it be just as unfair to do so for those who can go? Depending on the centre/facilities the children do get a lot of benefit from it....well in my experience.

Saying that my son is quite likely to have a France trip organised next year, god knows how much that'll cost! :o

Comments

• Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In terms of value for money, they're a rip off.

Teachers, quite rightly, go free so the parents are subsiding the school.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had field trips and stuff at school and I enjoyed them. If a parent is hard up then would it not be a good idea to save money away for these things? Afterall these trips are infrequent.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Joni said, most of the time they're an unnecessary rip off.

And no, its not a good idea to save for them. Some parents cant afford to save for them. They can be the same cost of a whole family having a holiday. Why would anyone struggling to afford them send one child away when all the family could enjoy a holiday together instead?
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Esensuelle wrote: »
    As title. My friend is panicking as her daughter brought home a letter informing parents of a residential school trip; 4 days for £395 for the end of September. We had a bit of a heated debate about it as she feels these trips should be scrapped altogether as it's unfair on those who can't afford to go. By the same token, by doing that, wouldn't it be just as unfair to do so for those who can go? Depending on the centre/facilities the children do get a lot of benefit from it....well in my experience.

Saying that my son is quite likely to have a France trip organised next year, god knows how much that'll cost! :o

When I was at school we all went. We baked cakes and sold them week after week until we had enough money for everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    As Joni said, most of the time they're an unnecessary rip off.

And no, its not a good idea to save for them. Some parents cant afford to save for them. They can be the same cost of a whole family having a holiday. Why would anyone struggling to afford them send one child away when all the family could enjoy a holiday together instead?

Well most of the ones we went on had educational value, they were not just holidays.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had a few of these at my time at school, trips to France and Belgium, I was never allowed to go as parents couldn't afford it, In fact most parents couldn't afford it. However we had a couple to the local seaside, it only cost £25 for 3 nights or something and it was the best fun I ever had, I still look back on that trip as the best holiday I had.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esensuelle wrote: »

Most are a complete rip off and parents should be a bit discerning about which ones their children go on.

Some however aren't too bad.

My son is going on a watersports trip in July, 7 full days in the south of France for £650 and it includes instructors/boats equipment ect. Not too bad when compared to the substandard offering from some in the UK. It's also the only way that we can afford for him to go abroad at the moment.

My advice is see what's on offer, in particular, ask about timings. Because some will say 5 day trip but you find the fifth day is "after breakfast we head home to be back in time for the end of the school day".

As for those who can't afford it, you'd be surprised how many don't pay full price or even anything, yet rake in hundreds of pounds in child tax credits.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    Well most of the ones we went on had educational value, they were not just holidays.

They have no value whatsoever to families that can't afford them.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,176
    Forum Member
    I went on all of the trips that my school offered, including a skiing trip which I loved! I don't know how my mum did it as she was a single parent on a low wage. I was such a horrible brat in later years as well :(

My son will have his international trip next year. The type of school he goes to it seems expected that all children attend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    They have no value whatsoever to families that can't afford them.

Totally disagree, I would never had gotten into water sport and mountain biking (off road) if I hadn't gone on one of the trips we all went on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    I went on all of the trips that my school offered, including a skiing trip which I loved! I don't know how my mum did it as she was a single parent on a low wage. I was such a horrible brat in later years as well :(

My son will have his international trip next year. The type of school he goes to it seems expected that all children attend.

We had a skiing trip when I was at school, I was gutted as it got cancelled as half of the parents didn't pay up; I was really looking forward to that. :(
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally disagree, I would never had gotten into water sport and mountain biking (off road) if I hadn't gone on one of the trips we all went on.

Really educational then, sounds like a holiday to me.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had field trips and stuff at school and I enjoyed them. If a parent is hard up then would it not be a good idea to save money away for these things? Afterall these trips are infrequent.

These are my thought too.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »

Co-ordination skills is hardly a holiday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »

Well it depends on what you call educational; spending a week learning how to do these sports isn't what most people do on a typical holiday is it.

Same with skiing.

Of course many people do these things as holidays but they aren't a week in Spain you know? In fact; do hard up families do these things as holidays? (Generally); if not then is that not more reason for your kids to do this with the school?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it depends on what you call educational; spending a week learning how to do these sports isn't what most people do on a typical holiday is it.

Same with skiing.

Of course many people do these things as holidays but they aren't a week in Spain you know?

Our school skiing trip certainly wasn't educational it was a holiday more than anything else. How do you know what most people do on holiday, a week in Spain can be far more educational, depending where in Spain you are, or even what you do when you are there.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,176
    Forum Member

Same with skiing.

Of course many people do these things as holidays but they aren't a week in Spain you know?

Indeed and especially if it's an international trip; you are expected to use your language skills in shops and out and about, well we were.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    My son went on the year 6 journey with primary- I didn't want him to go as all the boys picked on him. The head gave me buckets of reassurance so I paid the £300, he went and when he came back I find out he shared a room with the very boys they assured me he wouldn't and basically had a crap time

He's at secondary now and at special school, they do a residential every years, he's off for a three day PGL type trip in May for £90.

He isn't really looking forward to it because of last time but I am more relaxed in that he has friends in this school and I think he will be fine
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    Indeed and especially if it's an international trip; you are expected to use your language skills in shops and out and about, well we were.

As were we, both in France and Germany. In France, if you were caught speaking English when out and about you got a right bollocking. Nothing tops watching our Geography Master getting arrested in the States though, that was hilarious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    As were we, both in France and Germany. In France, if you were caught speaking English when out and about you got a right bollocking. Nothing tops watching our Geography Master getting arrested in the States though, that was hilarious.

^^^
    The explanation'll be the overall post of the day.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I did a few, the usual French exchange trip where they come to you and you go then live with them. It was great for me. I'm not sure I'd have got my o'level without it.

Did some more at what used to be sixth form level. Ones that dove tailed into my a'level options. Best things I ever did. I was in the last party to cross check point charlie before the wall came down. Saw the Soviet Union in all it's fading glory the year after. Two trips that I wouldn't be without.

My parents didn't pay, I paid. I saved my birthday and Christmas money, went carol singing, had three paper rounds and cleaned cars in the posh parts of town. I had jobs every summer. I'll admit my dad would often put a fiver in here and there and I was short on the Moscow trip so my Nanny lent me the balance and never let me pay it back.

Travel can be an incredibly edifying pursuit. If we'd have been blessed with kids I'd make every possible sacrifice in order to be able to give then even a quarter of the same opportunities.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a great idea for them to tour the active volcanoes and swim with the great whites
  • Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    School trips are among the most memorable experiences. Activities ones are great for confidence building, risk taking and coping without mummy.
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »

Why was he arrested? Do tell...:D
  • Options
    SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the people who are describing residential trips as a "rip off", how much do you think round the clock child care costs? Try getting a live in nanny for a week, adding to that the cost of food and lodgings, and see how much change you get from £1000. Most residential trips rely on the good will of teachers who give up their extra time completely free.