Options

Britains crime capital: Birmingham

Comments

• Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why I loved growing up in york. The most beautiful place, great food, great bars. Then at 2am when the pubs all close - fight club. You never want to get on the wrong side of a wasted york girl armed with her heels in either hand, I've seen violence that would make a marines toes curl :D

B'ham does get an unfair rep for being unsafe IMO. Used to visit a bit when we lived in leicester, had no problems walking around town at 2am (in full fetish wear, I might add). Wouldn't ever want to live there though, ugly, soulless concrete hell with far too many roads. Shame really, as the amenities and people are great.

Yes, used to drink a lot in Leicester town centre and never felt particularly threatened there, either. It's them little market towns are worse than inner city areas - cos they're full of bored, as well as stoned/pissed youth, at night, is my theory.

Really did think I was about to get murdered walking through Mental Mowbray after kicking-out - and done that a number of times, too. And that's coming from someone who went out and about at night in Leeds at the time of the Yorkshire Ripper (again, far less scary even knowing he was about than walking through some other places....) Yet could walk right through Handsworth or various parts of Bham city centre/South Bham suburbs at night, without a care in the world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to this link not only do I live in the most violent UK city, but I also live in the 3rd least peaceful area within Glasgow too -sigh- :(

That's interesting, because that link doesn't work. :kitty:
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    :D:D:D

No, that's a misnomer. Nottingham went through a bad patch in the late 90s and early 00s, and it's reputation remains unfairly tarnished. I lived there for 18 months in 2012-13 and I never had any problems at all. I bet when it comes to crime stats, Nottingham is way down the list. The thing about Nottingham is that the bad areas are SO bad, you can't fail to notice them, they are so grim. Most parts of Nottingham are very pleasant and some is beautiful. It's a kind of an all-or-nothing city.

I must admit I don't like Birmingham either. For somewhere so multicultural, it's absolutely soulless. Everyone is in a constant rush. I'm a great believer in multiculturalism but the whites definitely seem to be in the minority in Brum, and it pains me to admit, I feel like a fish out of water as a white person in Brum. I've lived in multicultural places all my life and I like it - I actually don't like majority white areas. But I don't like feeling like the minority myself. Meh, I'm rambling.

Yes, I have a few rather smug acquaintances who talk about how nice it is to live in a multicultural place like Birmingham. My private opinion is that they like some ethnic variety in the shop assistants in Topshop! Even my boyfriend, who is Birmingham born and bred, thinks the place is soulless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I have a few rather smug acquaintances who talk about how nice it is to live in a multicultural place like Birmingham. My private opinion is that they like some ethnic variety in the shop assistants in Topshop! Even my boyfriend, who is Birmingham born and bred, thinks the place is soulless.

Interesting! :)
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd heard that Nottingham was the worst place for crime in this country.

I love Birmingham! I go to this fabulous city every single week, and I've never once had a problem. It's clean, safe and the people are lovely.

Handworth, Lozells and Aston are pretty nasty, but then most people don't visit these places anyway.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    Only in the inner city black areas. The figures were skewed any way because they only included the city which is a small area, but excluded greater Nottingham because they are all different councils, thus the crimes per head only included a small population instead of all the 1000s who live in the suburbs which would have reduced the "crimes per head" figures significantly.

Indeed. The stats for me include some of the town centre, shopping areas and car parks etc., which obviously skews the figures upwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gmphmac wrote: »
    I'd heard that Nottingham was the worst place for crime in this country.

No, that's absolute rubbish. :)
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just looked up the crime for my area in Birmingham (1334 recorded in February) with the crime recorded at home in the Lake District (2 in February). Strangely, it doesn't feel 667 times more dangerous!

I guess a lowpoint for Brum came when I walked past a bucket of vomit sitting in the street late on a Sunday afternoon.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think where I live, on the whole, has its moments, but is generally "peaceful". However, according to that criminal stats website, 158 crimes in a 1 mile radius! The area which is apparently the worst is not surprising, either :D
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    Way too multi cultural for my liking.You couldn't pay me to live there.

I'm sorry to hear you say that. As a Pakistani Brit who lives in Birmingham it's generally nice here (at least the area that I live in). There are plenty of ethnically English areas in the UK with their own crime problems.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry to hear you say that. As a Pakistani Brit who lives in Birmingham it's generally nice here (at least the area that I live in). There are plenty of ethnically English areas in the UK with their own crime problems.

We know (or should know) that. One of the roughest areas I've lived in was the Welsh valleys, which (at least at that time) was a predominantly white/Caucasian area.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My inlaws are Brummies, and when I was researching the family tree I went to Aston to visit the church where her ancestors were married, however when we parked outside the church we were surrounded by a gang of Asian youths who looked threatening, so we hurriedly drove off without getting out to look at the church.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I izn't sacred cuz I am down wiv da hood and got me my 9 millimetre.
    it gets bigger when I'm excited tho.

If it gets bigger when your excited you should learn to keep it in your trousers tho.:p
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the postcode there's been 543 crimes in my area reported in February 2014. I'm in Liverpool.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having worked there for six months I have to say that I like the centre. I've said in another thread that I much prefer it to London.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting, because that link doesn't work. :kitty:

It was working fine earlier :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was working fine earlier :confused:

Not for me! :D
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not for me! :D

Try my original post which BBWorldWideFan fan quoted.
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    You are fourth. Glasgow, London and Belfast beat you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22276018

Leeds surprised me. They have it way down the list but it's homicide rate is second to Glasgow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    Try my original post which BBWorldWideFan fan quoted.

Thanks, that did work! Interesting read. :)
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way too multi cultural for my liking.You couldn't pay me to live there.

Charmful. I live in a town near Birmingham and I love that we have such a multi-cultural city :)
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean by that exactly?

What part don't you understand?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CrazyLoop wrote: »
    Charmful. I live in a town near Birmingham and I love that we have such a multi-cultural city :)

I'm happy for you.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy for you.
    *rolls eyes*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭