Options

Toilet Attendants

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where i live they all are. My dad gave this man last year 3 pounds for christmas. 2 minutes later he was buying booze in sainsbury's.

Does anyone monitor the money you earn or are you entitled to spend your wages how you please?
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone monitor the money you earn or are you entitled to spend your wages how you please?

I dont think she will be replying any time soon ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote:
    I dont think she will be replying any time soon ;)

Just saw that she is banned although she replied to me at 2.30 today to a previous post - I don't really understand all the banned posts etc! :p
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe its a repressed English thing but when I go to use the lavatory, I just want to take care of business, wash my hands and exit. Maybe its a guy thing, but I want to go alone, dont want to chat, dont want to swap cosmetics and dont want to turn a trip to do a basic human function into a social event.

To that end I dont want to see some bloke hovering by the wash basins, handing out dubious aftershave and paper towels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Sorry but i dislike this too. I am capable of washing my own hands, put on my own perfume before going out and think eating sweets that have been sitting in a loo is very unhygenic.

The way i understand it where i live, they dont have to clean up the toilets or anything like that. They just "rent" a toilet from the club and they supply their own perfume etc. I think they pay a percentage of any tips to the club.

Its the poor morning cleaners that deal with the sick and the mess and they are never seen by the customers never mind tipped.
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    upnunder wrote:
    I feel a Cheryl Tweedy joke coming on.

Keep it she's Gorgeous and proved innocent. :)

as for toilet attendants why anyone would take that job i dont know must be a reason but i'm not going to find out. :eek:
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading through this, I think a few people are getting confused between the toilet attendants being discussed here, and toilet cleaners who are something different altogether.

I have come across them a few times (I don't go out to posh clubs much) and find them very very annoying. Its not a service I want or need, and many people feel uncomfortable and blackmailed into paying them (a bit like charity muggers) - I certainly don't come out and think it was a pound well spent to save me all the inconvenience of soaping and drying my hands.

Anyway, I'd also be willing to bet that if they manage to guilt about 1 in 4 nightclub toilet users into giving them a pound each, then that would be a pretty tidy sum by the end of the night, for next to no effort. And if I was to take a wild guess at how much of it got declared, I think I would err towards zero.

So to answer the OP - no, its not a job I have any respect for. It is just people looking for an easy life, emotionally blackmailing people out of money...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At this rate, we're going to end up like in Amsterdam!
    All the toilets cost a tiny bit of money to go into, but the attendants have 'rented' them out, and decorate them with horrific plastic flowers, stuffed birds and all manner of tackiness! Even in Burger King!

Got to say well done to them, its a laugh to see how over the top they go, its certainly worth the cents! Thry only thing I dont like, is that they know how long you've been in! I went into one in Hema, because I had a bit of a 'dicky tummy' and after being in for about 5 mins, I came out and she looked at me sympathetically!

xx
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It costs a £1 at Harrods unless your a card holder. :rolleyes: :D

mind you when you come out a sniffer dog wouldn't reconise you. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,555
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote:

So to answer the OP - no, its not a job I have any respect for. It is just people looking for an easy life, emotionally blackmailing people out of money...

An easy life? Spending your nights trapped in a toilet, living on tips, no hourly rate and lots of misers and skinflints begrudging your very existence? Oh yeah, that sounds lovely and easy!
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote:
    Reading through this, I think a few people are getting confused between the toilet attendants being discussed here, and toilet cleaners who are something different altogether.

I have come across them a few times (I don't go out to posh clubs much) and find them very very annoying. Its not a service I want or need, and many people feel uncomfortable and blackmailed into paying them (a bit like charity muggers) - I certainly don't come out and think it was a pound well spent to save me all the inconvenience of soaping and drying my hands.

Thanks Johnny this is exactly what I'm getting at. Just to dispel a few viewpoints that have cropped up since I started the post:

- no, I'm not talking about people who clean toilets. I'm talking about the women who sit on stools and hand out towels/ perfume/ lollipops etc (or whatever they do in men's toilets; I wouldn't know :o )

- They're not necessarily found in posh clubs. Plenty of city or town centre clubs, or even bars, have them.

- My discomfort with them stems from the feeling of unnecessary obligation towards them. They are not contributing anything that a member of the public could not do him/herself. They are not selling anything. Rather, they are playing on the kindness of human nature and hoping you will give them money for- I'm sorry- nothing. Were they to clean the toilets themselves I'd say they deserved every penny they got. I do not look down on people who do manual work for an honest day's wage. Hell I'm hardly a neuroscientist myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maimou wrote:
    An easy life? Spending your nights trapped in a toilet, living on tips, no hourly rate and lots of misers and skinflints begrudging your very existence? Oh yeah, that sounds lovely and easy!

To be honest, despite the emotive language it sounds a lot easier than most 'real' jobs to me. And probably quite lucrative too.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote:
    To be honest, despite the emotive language it sounds a lot easier than most 'real' jobs to me. And probably quite lucrative too.....

So why don't you or I do it then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maimou wrote:
    So why don't you or I do it then?

Personally, because there's more to my life than making an easy few quid, because I haven't got the front to just make people uncomfortable and take advantage of the GBP's notorious inability to say no, and because I have various other responsibilities that occupy my evenings. Can't answer for you though......

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Nothing that anyone says will ever convince me that these are exploited workers bravely trying their hardest to make an honest buck, no matter what it takes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    your dammed it you do and dammed if you dont perhaps they should sign on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote:
    Personally, because there's more to my life than making an easy few quid, because I haven't got the front to just make people uncomfortable and take advantage of the GBP's notorious inability to say no, and because I have various other responsibilities that occupy my evenings. Can't answer for you though......

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Nothing that anyone says will ever convince me that these are exploited workers bravely trying their hardest to make an honest buck, no matter what it takes.

It doesn't just happen in the UK so I doubt very much the 'notorious' inability of the GBP to say no is a factor. I didn't know it was notorious to be honest!

You should try speaking to some of them sometime anyway, you'd find out that not everyone has negative motivation sfor why they do what they do, many of them have no choice.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It costs a £1 at Harrods unless your a card holder. :rolleyes: :D

mind you when you come out a sniffer dog wouldn't reconise you. :D

A pound :eek: what happened to spending a penny :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Reviving this very old post as I was on a stag do in Bristol last night. Two of the places we visited had attendants in them. All the soap dispensers were disabled so you had no choice to use the man's soap. They charged a couple of quid. Then extra for aftershave etc and was very aggressive. I even saw both of them looking over cubicles to catch people taking drugs then blackmailing them £10 to keep quiet.

They are scum to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cacharodon wrote: »
    Reviving this very old post as I was on a stag do in Bristol last night. Two of the places we visited had attendants in them. All the soap dispensers were disabled so you had no choice to use the man's soap. They charged a couple of quid. Then extra for aftershave etc and was very aggressive. I even saw both of them looking over cubicles to catch people taking drugs then blackmailing them £10 to keep quiet.

They are scum to me.

Oh my word.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Lol I could have worded that better like "no choice but to pump the man's soap dispenser"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol I could have worded that better like "no choice but to pump the man's soap dispenser"

Well if you think that is better... :o

:D:D:D
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was the liquid, creamy goodness flowing through your hands worth it?
  • Options
    Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ignore them.
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I didnt know this forum was for infants :confused:

I'm just enjoying watching the hole getting dug deeper and deeper .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They piss me off. No I'm not giving you £3 for doing something I can and will do myself.