Do You Find Robert Peston (BBC News Reporter) Really Annoying?

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw him for the first time today on BBC News Channel (or whatever it's called). His delivery and diction are appalling. You'd be better off getting Peter Griffin's silent movie ancestor (with weird voice) from Family Guy and getting him to do it.

The BBC seems to have a thing about annoying economics editors at the moment. The guy they use on Newsnight (Paul someone or other, I think) is almost as bad.

Bring back Evan Davies!
  • miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    I find him OK on prepared or pre-recorded items but when............................. he .....................istalkingoffthecufffhe.uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh ..hesitates..and and and thentalkssoquicklythatyoucannotunderstandwhatheis....uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.saying :D

I think what you are saying is right. I don't know whether he is nervous or he has an impediment of some sort or other!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw him for the first time today on BBC News Channel (or whatever it's called). His delivery and diction are appalling. You'd be better off getting Peter Griffin's silent movie ancestor (with weird voice) from Family Guy and getting him to do it.

The BBC seems to have a thing about annoying economics editors at the moment. The guy they use on Newsnight (Paul someone or other, I think) is almost as bad.

Bring back Evan Davies!

I was just thinking about Evan Davies ( in a non pervy way) as I was reading your comment. He is so informative and authoratative isn't he. Why the have to wheel out Robert when they've got Evan I will never know.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Robert Peston, when live, is, IMO, diabolical. He does Radio 4 and BBC News ansd he seems to be on there all the time. His "singing" delivery and hesitation are really off-putting... Put him back in the newsroom to edit articles. Another case of Nepotism: Daddy Peston got him there...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Peston,_Baron_Peston_of_Mile_End
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peston has been to the BBC presenters school where they are programmed to
    a) wave their hands about to make them appear interesting and authoratitive
    b) 'act' out their script rather than just present the news
    c) suffer the delusion that they are the news story and we are all fascinated by them.

I can barely watch BBC 1 news bulletins anymore as they treat us viewers as educationally sub normal; 'patronising' doesn't do it justice.
  • tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    somepeople say it is his method od combating a stammer

there is no proof for that. I think he is just a bad speaker.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    YES YES YES - he is so annoying.

Why doesn't the BBC buy him some badly needed elocution lessons!

err, erm, pause, speed up, slow down, pause, erm, err, etc.

:mad:
  • tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His and Konnie Hugs love child will have a terrible time.......

can you imagine what it would be like!!!
  • stephendstephend Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The man's ridiculous delivery when doing live in-the-studio chats with the newscaster is indeed cringe worthy viewing.

Agreed. Most annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can only agree - I feel like strangling him every time I hear his voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    I think his recent fame has gone to his head. He seems to have caught the Jeremy Clarkson disease i.e leaving long pauses in the middle of sentences in order to make what is quite banal and boring speech seem more interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,653
    Forum Member
    He is rather annoying. I much prefered the wonderful Evan Davis.
  • rickberickbe Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Until I found this thread I thought I was about the only person who found Robert Peston's speech style annoying.

He was on BBC One TV news again last night, talking about the UK bank losses. Practically every other word was over-emphasized, that plus his rising-wave like intonation and the hand movements like an over enthusiastic string puppet... frankly he almost gave me a headache.

It's not that I think he's a bad presenter - I don't; he's competent and is able to make dry financial topics more interesting but he goes rather over the top with his delivery and that is what spoils it.

Next time he comes on I too will be reaching for the remote and mute him!

There's only one other financial tv presenter I find more annoying than Peston and that's Richard Quest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well (pauses for dramatic effect) I have noticed some of the other reporters now taking on (pauses again)
    the Peston Pause
    and word stretchiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing - now either they doing it off the cuff

or its the new fashion (arm waving allowed, then after complaints arm waving disallowed) that sort of thing.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess at least he makes these boring reports more interesting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, Robert Peston has been on again. He does my head in. Please get rid of him BBC.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »

He has got to be on something. The poor newsreaders must dread him coming into the studio. They must need a lie down after five minutes with him.
  • Airman501Airman501 Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Progress at last! He was absent from the 2014 Budget pre and post commentary on Radio 4 during the morning and afetrnoon. Apparently he only popped up on the TV news programmes in the evening, which I didn't watch, so a Peston free day for me!
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds as if it's a good thing we don't watch BBC news etc.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to think his style of delivery was an affectation and found him annoying. I then saw him on Pointless and I warmed to him. He is a vulnerable geek and that is just the way he is. A bit odd but at least he is not vanilla.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peston is very bright, and knows his subject. He is the consummate journalist and loves to land a scoop.

His delivery is affected, no doubt, but I've often thought it might be to cover a stammer or other tick. Anyone who listens to PM on R4 will know of the on-going wind-up between he and Eddie Mair, and that he has a very good sense of humour. His recent programme about the state of Chinese debt was superb.

He's fine reading an autocue - it's when he's off piste the problem is at it's worst.
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miles19740 wrote: »
    Anyone agree with me that he is over enthusiastic and too intense to listen to? :mad:
    Or is it me?

BBC, please tell Robert Peston to calm down. I find it impossible to listen him, which is a shame, as I am sure he has a lot of valuable contributions to make.:rolleyes:

Calm down Robert!:yawn:

Be careful for what you wish for. His slow delivery like he is being fed what to say in his ear piece followed by a rush of words like he is attempting a speaking race, is enough to drive me insane and when I first heard him, I was like wtf? Is this the same person from ten seconds ago? The slow talking is the worst but he has an incredibly annoying voice.