Options

Need advice re unsuitable pet owner

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am feeling really worried today! A bit of a long story so I'll try to cut it short.

My mums friend is getting a kitten in a few weeks. Nice, you would think...but in my mum and I's opinion she really shouldn't be getting a cat. She has two teenage boys and a four year-old and they are all tearaways, and are cruel to the animals they have already. They have gone through countless pets in the past, hamsters, rabbits, budgies and dogs. All these animals have died really young due to them being misfed (they used to feed the hamsters chocolate!) and them not getting the proper attention they need. I think also the animals were tormented so much by the boys handling them wrongly and just generally scaring them.

They also have a staffordshire terrior at the moment, they never walk her, she is really hyperactive and jumps on everyone and also is known to snap.

The thought of her bringing a kitten into this type of environment is really upsetting me :( her next door neighbours cats' have both had litters recently and she asked for the one of the kittens but they made excuses not give her one, as they know that she shouldn't take a kitten into that environment. She has gone elsewhere for one now and gets the kitten in a couple of weeks.

I really don't know what to do, I can't stand the thought of a kitten going into that house, just to be mistreated and tormented, but what can we do? :(

Comments

• Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    If you are concerned then call in the RSPCA. They are equipped to make a decision, you aren't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    :mad: why do people like this even bother having animals it makes my blood boil.

Unfortunately I feel the RSPCA can only help in cases of actual cruelty/neglect and not where it is just potential.

All I can think of is maybe you or your mum have a chat with her and tell her that "a friend of a friend" had a kitten that was ripped apart by a staffy? I hate the idea of damaging this dogs reputation any further as they already get such a bad press but it might
    a make her rethink the whole kitten thing or
    b at least take steps to keep it out of the dogs reach so the poor thing will have one less thing to contend with

I feel sick at the life of Hell a kitten would go through at the hands of this lot and I do sympathise with how helpless you must feel OP :(

thats all I can come up with for now but I do hope others may have more suggestions for you?
  • Options
    inapickleinapickle Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please,Please,Please phone the RSPCA. they wont tell who phoned and at the very least you will bring this family to their attention and maybe even get some help for the dog.Laws have changed this year and the RSPCA have a bit more power. At least you can feel you have done something!