How does Matt Smith get paid ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Don't forget the 12.5+ percent his agent gets!
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    He doesn't get paid, he gets a working prototype of the sonic screwdriver and pointed to the nearest cashpoint! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    DT...£1,000,000 per year
    MS...£200,000 per year
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,282
    Forum Member
    mikkyh wrote: »
    This interests me for some odd and undefined reason.

OK. So. If he gets paid for every episode he shoots (maybe per hour of filming or whatever) then am I correct in thinking that he doesn't get paid at all until the filming for the next series starts ? So he's without income for a few months ?

OR...

Does he get a lot of money from loyalty fees and interviews and stuff while he's not being paid for filming ?

OR...

Does he get paid monthly regardless of the amount of filming they're doing ? So he's always getting something coming through ?

Of course it could be a combination. I'm just wondering.
    I know fan's can have a certain sense of entitlement and can find out a lot of thing's if persistent, but I doubt the day is ever going to come when being a fan will allow you access to the current doctor's financial records:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Does he get paid for all his episodes that they show on the channel Watch?
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does he get paid for all his episodes that they show on the channel Watch?
    Probably gets repeat fees.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    With most actors, they'll negotiate a fee based on work (episodes).

It's usual to stagger payments. So if his fee for a Dr Who season is 200k, standard is he'll probably get 80k up front, 80k half way. Then the remainder post prod completion.

Royalties for repeats have changed, he may have accepted a one-off payment and waived UK rights, else probably gets several thousand per repeat upto three repeats, then gets nothing.

As for his royalties from merchandise, I can assure you it's tiny tiny tiny ! Pat Stewarts merch income from dolls, imagery etc is IRO 20k pa he says, and that's a worldwide brand !
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moffat: "Matt, you're going to be paid this much".
    Matt shows his psychic paper.
    Moffat: "Oh, and here's the rest of your salary, shall I clean your shoes?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot Dogg wrote: »
    A big dumper truck backs up to his house and they dump cold pressed latinum on his front lawn...:rolleyes:

His contract was rumoured to be in the region of £500k for three years. Which was considerably less than DT's contract.

I heard £350,000 a series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its most likely a yearly salary figure, say for example £1Million - Matt can choose to have this paid monthly, quarterly, half yearly, or annually. Then there will be added bonuses for sales merchandise.

Interviews etc would most likely be part of the original fee, ie 12-13 episodes, plus pr work.
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    :eek: I honestly had no idea actors were paid so much.

I am now seriously considering discontinuing my TV license. I mean I rarely even watch TV and I don't even like the BBC. Doctor Who is about all I watch, and now I find I am paying six figure salaries just for individual actors in TV shows (let alone all the other actors in all the other shows)?

No disrespect to Matt Smith, who thoroughly earns whatever they pay him, it's not his fault. But I would think the role of The Doctor is reward enough in itself without needing a large salary to "tempt" actors to take on the role? Surely better to pay a small wage for someone who is enthusiastic and into the role? As a performer myself, I can't be the only one who would gladly play the Doctor for minimum wage?
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Question is, as a lifelong fan, how much a series is Peter Capaldi paying the BBC to play the Doctor? ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Question is, as a lifelong fan, how much a series is Peter Capaldi paying the BBC to play the Doctor? ;-)

You'd hope to think someone like that playing their dream role would accept a lower wage to put money into the episodes and production to make themselves more memorable. Though probably not :(

That's what I would do anyway...
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: I honestly had no idea actors were paid so much.

I am now seriously considering discontinuing my TV license. I mean I rarely even watch TV and I don't even like the BBC. Doctor Who is about all I watch, and now I find I am paying six figure salaries just for individual actors in TV shows (let alone all the other actors in all the other shows)?

No disrespect to Matt Smith, who thoroughly earns whatever they pay him, it's not his fault. But I would think the role of The Doctor is reward enough in itself without needing a large salary to "tempt" actors to take on the role? Surely better to pay a small wage for someone who is enthusiastic and into the role? As a performer myself, I can't be the only one who would gladly play the Doctor for minimum wage?

If you don't want to pay your license fee then atop watching Doctor Who.

and I'm sure you'd gladly play the Doctor for a pittance. But excuse me for being presumptuous but I'm assuming you're not quite as talented as Matt Smith. Of course I could be wrong. Doubt it.
    Forum Member
    As a performer myself, I can't be the only one who would gladly play the Doctor for minimum wage?

Well, I'm not a performer but I would sure play the doctor for nothing, take the money from interviews and marketing etc and I'd have enough to live a great celebrity life still!
    Or if I was like a A-list actor who became the doctor, I would put millions towards getting a 26 episode season instead of 12

A man can dream, right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Puca wrote: »
    You'd hope to think someone like that playing their dream role would accept a lower wage to put money into the episodes and production to make themselves more memorable. Though probably not :(

Some people on this thread showing remarkable and admirable honourable intentions claiming they would reject a big pay cheque to act in the show. Of course such grand statements are very easy when there is no chance of them ever having to back up such claims. Acting is a job like any other. I highly doubt anyone on this thread or anywhere else would turn down a pay rise because they just want to do it for the love of the job. Being pious and superior is easy when you never have to back it up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I'm not a performer but I would sure play the doctor for nothing, take the money from interviews and marketing etc and I'd have enough to live a great celebrity life still!
    Or if I was like a A-list actor who became the doctor, I would put millions towards getting a 26 episode season instead of 12

A man can dream, right?

its easy to take such a benevolent position when you'll never face such a dilemma.
    Forum Member
    Some people on this thread showing remarkable and admirable honourable intentions claiming they would reject a big pay cheque to act in the show. Of course such grand statements are very easy when there is no chance of them ever having to back up such claims. Acting is a job like any other. I highly doubt anyone on this thread or anywhere else would turn down a pay rise because they just want to do it for the love of the job. Being pious and superior is easy when you never have to back it up.

I'd love to prove you wrong by learning to become an actor and taking up the role, but now I've just stated yet another completely stupid and unrealistic goal which will never happen. I personally would want to earn less (free actually) but this is from my perspective, if I were a actor with agents and advisors here there and everywhere I think my choice would be different. Just look at footballers who play because they love the sport - they still accept millions every week despite playing for their love for the game
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not exactly how the BBC works :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to prove you wrong by learning to become an actor and taking up the role, but now I've just stated yet another completely stupid and unrealistic goal which will never happen. I personally would want to earn less (free actually) but this is from my perspective, if I were a actor with agents and advisors here there and everywhere I think my choice would be different. Just look at footballers who play because they love the sport - they still accept millions every week despite playing for their love for the game

You wouldn't work for free! Why should you? If you are good enough to play the Doctor then you have earned your pay cheque.

Acting might seem glamorous and of course it can be. But its still a job.
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Not exactly how the BBC works :p

Yeah not really huh, but I could accept their fee, then pay for more episodes???
    Ignore me I'm just being stupid now - it would never work, my plan is doomed :( hahaha
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah not really huh, but I could accept their fee, then pay for more episodes???

More than likely several years pay for a single episode - if the BBC worked like that. A topic which often comes up during the CiN period.

"Why does Terry Wogan get paid for Children in Need!!!!!"

As though the BBC take his salary from the charity fund.
    Forum Member
    You wouldn't work for free! Why should you? If you are good enough to play the Doctor then you have earned your pay cheque.

Acting might seem glamorous and of course it can be. But its still a job.

Haha I hope this isn't turning serious, if it is I didnt mean to wind you up or offend you at all...
    I'm not seriously suggesting anything, but I'm just saying when the BBC come to look how much funds they have for their next episode all there hear is "Oh. We spent the last scraps of our budget on Matt Smith. Whoops!!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Oh. We spent the last scraps of our budget on Matt Smith. Whoops!!"

The budget for 2013 isn't being used to create Series 8. :p
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »

As though the BBC take his salary from the charity fund.

Wouldn't surprise me...