Is David Cameron a freemason?

Comments

• StykerStyker Posts: 49,560
    Forum Member
    I've never been fussed about these so called freemasons. Whatever they do or are, I think they are probably well overated and would probably do whatever they agree to do together, individually anyway if the masons didn't exist anyway.
  • J LeninJ Lenin Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    Nope, none believers are not eligible for membership

Oh my goodness. How am I going to sleep now, knowing I can never be a member?
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I bet there are loads of masons in all political parties. A non-issue IMHO.

It is an issue if some do help each other out though, get each other perks and top jobs, meddle with the law, etc. That's why the metropolitan police force tried to wipe it out because it was riddled with them. An interesting article below about a book about the masons.

http://knight-brotherhood.blogspot.com/

Also:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/content_objectid=13312101_method=full_siteid=50082_headline=-Freemason--closed-shop--blocked-me--says-barrister-name_page.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/in-a-small-town-where-the-tories-and-masons-hold-sway-1312466.html
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll stand up too!

I am also a FM, and funnily enough I was at a recent lodge meeting sat next to David Cameron!!

Not the MP, I might add!!! The beard was a bit of a give-away...
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J Lenin wrote: »
    Oh my goodness. How am I going to sleep now, knowing I can never be a member?

I'm sure you'll manage...:)
  • MaresfacMaresfac Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    David Cameron is a puppet of the Oil lobby from Arabia.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I joined (my grandpa was a worshipful grand master or something) , but I left when I found out I had to do charity and they wouldn't tell me who the last descendant of Jesus was (also sad it wasn't me) :(
    It just reminded me of scouts to be honest. Boring. Got me a job though.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Modern Freemasonry might have re-branded itself as "charity work", but is still somewhat bizarre!

I'd suggest a more secular equivalent, eg Rotary Club.

After all, either Freemasons believe in all that weird stuff, or they don't! Either way, it's not good.
  • 1TrueNorth1TrueNorth Posts: 4,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    If it's a 'secret society' how do you know about it?

And, what does it matter if he is?

Actually it would make a massive difference, Masons have an oath to do favours for each other. What if someone wanted a political favour ? You could wind up looking at charges of corruption and collusion. At the very least it would be a conflict of interests to hav a PM whose also a mason. How could he possibly be trusted to do whats best for the british public while hes in a secret society that exists on a "you scratch my back i'll scratch yours" whose dealings are closed to the public ?
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DC a freemason? Who cares?
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1TrueNorth wrote: »
    Actually it would make a massive difference, Masons have an oath to do favours for each other. What if someone wanted a political favour ? You could wind up looking at charges of corruption and collusion. At the very least it would be a conflict of interests to hav a PM whose also a mason. How could he possibly be trusted to do whats best for the british public while hes in a secret society that exists on a "you scratch my back i'll scratch yours" whose dealings are closed to the public ?
    It's not like that, its more of an "I'll look out for you, if you look out for me". Do something to help you out, if I can. You wouldn't be expected to risk your own job, or break the law. It's a brotherhood - if someone gets sick, you help look after the family, etc.
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    Cent wrote: »
    It's not like that, its more of an "I'll look out for you, if you look out for me". Do something to help you out, if I can. You wouldn't be expected to risk your own job, or break the law. It's a brotherhood - if someone gets sick, you help look after the family, etc.

If one Freemason has a company he automatically has to give a contract to a fellow mason's company above someone who is not ?
    Isn't that corruption ?
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that the sound of a barrel being scraped?

Who cares? I doubt he's the only one and I doubly doubt membership is limited to any one party.
  • Jericho941Jericho941 Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my father-in-laws dad was a 'worshipful master' of his lodge! i've been asked to join, but i don't need a regular escape from the mrs just yet.. give it a few years.

i reckon DC is a mason, along with hundreds of thousands of others in the UK. its not a big deal whatsoever, but i like how it winds some people up.
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    If one Freemason has a company he automatically has to give a contract to a fellow mason's company above someone who is not ?
    Isn't that corruption ?
    No he doesn't. You don't HAVE to do anything. It's really no different from being in a fraternity or any other close group of friends or 'brothers' - you're just looking out for each other and helping out if you can.
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    Cent wrote: »
    No he doesn't. You don't HAVE to do anything. It's really no different from being in a fraternity or any other close group of friends or 'brothers' - you're just looking out for each other and helping out if you can.

So if a freemason owned a company which was in financial bother other freemasons wouldn't be obliged to help him out ?
    Seems unlikely.
    What annoyed me about freemasons was a friend of mine's dad was a copper who was a mason used to drink and drive and got away with it beacuse other mason police officers who pulled him over let him get away with it.
    Funny handshakes and all that.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever Freemasons claim about their obligations to each other the office of Prime Minister has to be above the slightest bit of suspicion.

However, even if Cameron were not a Mason I don't think it would make much difference. He is a front man for a wide range of vested interests who want UK taxpayers money.
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if Cameron is, Blair seemed to be , he certainly knew the handshake.

Given the new welcome lodge is actually cited inside the palace of westminster, and draws membership from there exclusively, its likely plenty of past PMs and senior cabinet minsters are members.

The last 8 or more US presidents have all been Skull and Bones members (US equivalent of freemasonry) , although Obama isnt, his chief economic adviser, Harold Stanley, is.
  • multisyncmultisync Posts: 405
    Forum Member

The last 8 or more US presidents have all been Skull and Bones members (US equivalent of freemasonry) ,[/ QUOTE]

I thought the US equivalent of Freemasonry was Freemasonry?

The Bones is closer to a Frat society
  • jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doing "favours" for each other? :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wonder if Andy Coulson is a mason.

It doesn't matter if it's David Cameron is one or not, they should not be secret, at all, they should be full out in the open, paying their taxes. If they were really doing any charitable work they would be totally bonkers not to be registered for charity.

It always sounds to me like the nutjobs we all expect to be involved in The New World Order stuff, world domination and control, or the corrupt police officers who look the other way when one of their fellow masons is involved in criminal behaviour. Or the judge who finds someone not guilty by knobbling the jury or the evidence.

The first words that comes to mind when I think of The Masons is not 'secret society' but "corrupt and weirdos".
  • Brian1709Brian1709 Posts: 2,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jswift909 wrote: »
    Doing "favours" for each other? :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wonder if Andy Coulson is a mason.

It doesn't matter if it's David Cameron is one or not, they should not be secret, at all, they should be full out in the open, paying their taxes. If they were really doing any charitable work they would be totally bonkers not to be registered for charity.

It always sounds to me like the nutjobs we all expect to be involved in The New World Order stuff, world domination and control, or the corrupt police officers who look the other way when one of their fellow masons is involved in criminal behaviour. Or the judge who finds someone not guilty by knobbling the jury or the evidence.

The first words that comes to mind when I think of The Masons is not 'secret society' but "corrupt and weirdos".

I think you are a bit confused. The nutjobs are the ones who believe in the New World Order
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    I bet there are loads of masons in all political parties. A non-issue IMHO.

That's a bit of a naive attitude.

I wonder how many politicians have championed various causes or taken a particular stance on a given issue because somebody involved was a Mason?
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone put up any factual links regarding Freemasons in the UK and what they're up to? I ask because, with one or two exceptions, this entire thread seems to built on wholly unsupported suppositions.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    That's a bit of a naive attitude.

I wonder how many politicians have championed various causes or taken a particular stance on a given issue because somebody involved was a Mason?

There is no evidence that has happened AFAIK. However, Mason or not, many politicians of all flavours champion certain causes in return for favours or even donations from various lobbies or others with vested interests. It's been going on the world over since politics started. I don't agree with any of it BTW but you're not going to ever stop it.

Ironically considering what Cameron has been saying the last couple of weeks, the Freemasons are a special type of gang :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    Can anyone put up any factual links regarding Freemasons in the UK and what they're up to? I ask because, with one or two exceptions, this entire thread seems to built on wholly unsupported suppositions.

Telegraph from yesterday :

"Leading police officers have set up a national Masonic lodge where they can meet in secret in defiance of fears about the influence of the secret society on the criminal justice system."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8713343/Freemasons-in-the-police-leading-the-attack-on-David-Camerons-riot-response.html

Same link:

"The Archbishop of Canterbury is at the centre of a row after it emerged he had appointed a Freemason to be a bishop."

"Judges will no longer have to declare being a Freemason after Jack Straw scrapped a 11-year-rule he introduced – amid fears he would lose a human rights battle. "