What to look for in a Plasma TV

I realise this kind of thing has been covered before, but with the current speed at which plasmas are appearing and changing, I dont know whats what anymore.

Can someone tell me what I should be looking for as a bare minimum with regards to features on a Plasma TV? (pixels, contrast ratio, inputs, etc) Its a hefty investment, so I'd like to be sure im looking for the right things.

Recommendations of some good panels would be good too, as im looking at buying in the next couple of months, with a budget of around £1000

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    First of all, with a budget of £1000, its not worth talking about pixels, contrast and inputs, don't waste your time and money on poor quality screens, spend a bit more.

Otherwise, higher Contrast ratio the better 1:1500 and above is good. You'll notice that current Digital TV will be produce a very poor picture, and you'll be wanting High Definition when it is released in Jan'06, therefore 768*1278 pixels minimum and either a HDMI or DVI input to guarantee its HD future.

As for connectivity from current DVD, try to use either RGB Scart or Component connections. Once again connecting up devices spend a bit more on gold plated cables, try QED and THOR.

Basically, if you want to see the best results you will have to invest in expensive equipment.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With such an expensive purchase on a screen that should last a good few years, make sure its High Def ready and has the following.
    DVI connection
    HDMI connection
    A few scart connections (to fit your existing needs)
    HDCP chip for "protected" High Def broadcasts.

Although you may not use the High Def features right away, the chances are that within the life span of the screen you will.

Dave
  • rifleman19rifleman19 Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent advice, No point in paying out for a Plasma unless it is HD ready, Not all are,

Personely i will wait untill after Sky launches HD before buying a Plasma, They may come down in price by then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    i must admit to being a bit confused , how much is hdtv going to impact the average person in say , the next ten years , i would suspect that in 10 years or before i would be looking at getting a new tv and passing the old one down to the kids :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm wary about a plasma TV as I heard that after a few years the plasma cells die out, so you are left with black dots covering the screen :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Don't believe everything you hear.
    Forum Member
    luvspud wrote:
    Don't believe everything you hear.

why not back it up then instead of letting the guy wonder what you are on about :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i must admit to being a bit confused , how much is hdtv going to impact the average person in say , the next ten years , i would suspect that in 10 years or before i would be looking at getting a new tv and passing the old one down to the kids :confused:

In ten years time, I would expect to see Freeview, Cable, and Sky all running High Def content along side a regular SD channel line up. Possible that by then the SD channel line up will be shrinking as more and more channels are only on the High Def system.

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    or do the sensible option and buy a 32" crt for half the price. the picture on a crt will not be bettered by a plasma.
    it will cost you £500 so as long as you have the physical room, it is the only option.
    i had this argument with a friend of mine, he has a massive living room, but was taken in by the styling of a flat panel so bought a lcd. fine. but the picture through his cheap dvd player and freeview box is no where near as good as my tried andd trusted 2 yer old jvc crt 28" tv and he has been left disapointed since

yes, in the future lcd will be the way to go (plasma wont be around in 2 years, its defunct) as it looks like only lcd hd tvs will be sold here (shame as hd crts are available in usa and japan).

of course if you want to live on the cutting edge of technology, then yes, you can get a flat panel screen now that will be excellent quality an have hdmi input ready for true hd, provided by sony ps3, but its gonna cost you alot more than £1000.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £2000 for a High Def 42inch Plasma in Dixons. Not bad when you think not so long ago a standard Plasma would have cost £6000.

I just dont see the point in spending £1000 on a product that will be quickly replaced by a more future proof one.

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote:
    £2000 for a High Def 42inch Plasma in Dixons. Not bad when you think not so long ago a standard Plasma would have cost £6000.

I just dont see the point in spending £1000 on a product that will be quickly replaced by a more future proof one.

Dave

I have just bought a 32 inch LCD panel TV for a good deal less than 1000 quid, and it is very impressive indeed - as long as you don't want to watch football. With sports you are aware of the smearing. With anything else you are not. At the price I paid I will be happy to upgrade in two or three years and use this screen as a huge PC monitor. In the meantime I have this screen today, not next year or the year after! :)

I suppose a bigger size than 32 inch might be good once HD TV comes along, but I think that is plenty big enough for an eighteen foot square room.
    Forum Member
    Bestbear wrote:
    I have just bought a 32 inch LCD panel TV for a good deal less than 1000 quid, and it is very impressive indeed - as long as you don't want to watch football. With sports you are aware of the smearing. With anything else you are not. At the price I paid I will be happy to upgrade in two or three years and use this screen as a huge PC monitor. In the meantime I have this screen today, not next year or the year after! :)

I suppose a bigger size than 32 inch might be good once HD TV comes along, but I think that is plenty big enough for an eighteen foot square room.

what did you buy and how much was it ???? :)
  • neilnneiln Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    I don't watch football but have tuned in a few times and there is no smearing on my LCD. I watch american football and lots of motorsport and see no effects of smearing. I depends on the screen you have and responce times combined with good screen technology. Cheap screens are ok but it is the usual with everything that you get what you pay for. If you can afford it, spending more makes sense sometimes than trying to save a bit just to have the latest thing.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bestbear wrote:
    I have just bought a 32 inch LCD panel TV for a good deal less than 1000 quid, and it is very impressive indeed - as long as you don't want to watch football.

......... yep that's progress.

;)

Sorry but I just couldn't resist.

If you're happy that's the main thing... but I can't help but think that accepting a product that's far inferior to what you've replaced seems a bit of a swizz.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    RobTuck -

1. You didn't mention the size of the tv you wish to get.

2. Unfortunately £1000 just won't get you anything of quality. (A simple step up to £1500 and there is a big difference)

3. Yes, its a big investment and have you got an idea of how long you wish to use the tv (in an ideal world) e.g 2 years, 5 years.

It is confusing because of changing formats (DVI,HDMI,etc) and high definition.

I have recently bought a philips 42" plasma [my previous 36" toshiba crt cost £2000 when new about 8 years back] for my parents. Its okay with football and films but if i had my choice and budget (it cost me £1500) i would have gone for a Panasonic or Pioneer set around about £2000.

It depends what you want to use it for. (general use, films, sport, etc)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    37" Panasonic Plasma £899 Richer Sounds.

http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PANA-TH37PW7

Is it worth a punt?
  • sean5302sean5302 Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Is it worth a punt at £899?

Buyer beware.

Once you read the small print, you see it's £899 when bought with "panel protection", another £90.

Then it needs an input board £120

Then it needs a tuner unit £350.

When is £899 equal to £1459?

Worth a punt?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I just bought a 42" Panasonic PWD7 for £1000 including component board. Now i thought about all the HI-DEF options, but to be honest nothing has been released and they are only starting to change some the channels over next year(Maybe). I think by 2010 they want all channels to be in HI-Def and by then my plasma will be more than 5 years old. I also heard next year it will only be limited channels in HD and you will have to pay per channel.

So for now if you need a new tv and have the cash to spend go for it. If you don't need a new TV and just want to upgrade it might be worth it giving it some thought. I would still do it though and am SO happy with my plasma. :D:D
  • sean5302sean5302 Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I just bought a 42" Panasonic PWD7 for £1000 including component board.

What do you use as an input source?

A Freeview receiver or Digibox?

Do you get good resolution?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    sean5302 wrote:
    I just bought a 42" Panasonic PWD7 for £1000 including component board.

What do you use as an input source?

A Freeview receiver or Digibox?

Do you get good resolution?

I use a Denon 1906 which i feed all my inputs in via S-Video and thinkg the resolution is great. Better than the 32" CRT i had before....

I use my Sky+ box for the tuner and did not see what the point would be to spend the extra money just buying a tuner. But also have my VCR if i need to use that.